Bullnose under hood light, LED bulb?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bullnose under hood light, LED bulb?

RenoHuskerDu
Anybody found an LED bulb that fits in to replace the type 68 incandescent in this device?
There isn't enough room under that plastic dome for the bulky LED bulbs that I have on hand.
They need to have that dual contact base. The socket does not ground it.

https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/under-hood/fd-1980-86-utility-lamp-components-engine-compartment
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bullnose under hood light, LED bulb?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We have a thread for that, and I'd recommend you start here with your reading as I found a good replacement.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Berrybunch
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
I got one on superbrightleds.com  it's an 1142  part #1142-CW12G
They have different colors, I got the cool white, does pretty well.  
Big Red 85 F150 XLT Lariat 5.8l (used to have 4bbl Holley, now Edelbrock proflo4 MPFI) rewired with kwikwire harness, 2 in. Lift, 32 in. tires.  Dakota  digital VHX dash with bim can bus to Edelbrock.  Sat for 15 years at 7500 ft elev.  Resto in progress.
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
How cool is that?  Thank you, you found what I had failed to find.

Should we just delete this thread?  It's moot.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No need to delete it.  There's a link in it to the other thread.  Or someone may want to try the Superbrights LED's that Berrybunch recommended.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
Along somewhat similar lines, anyone ever take the retractable assembly apart? Or even better, advise on how to make it retract more fully? My unit retracts minimally.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just did this for you, John.  Don't take the two halves apart - like I did.  Make SURE you pull the whole spool out as a unit.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
That's funny, Gary! Funny, because springs and I don't get along and I'd be right there with you! I've been messing with it a little bit and it seems to be working better. Wondering if I could spray a powdered graphite in there or something? You're an engineer, thoughts?

Curious, why did you take yours apart?

Thanks!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I used spray silicone lube.  It seemed to work well and the one I did it on has worked nicely for some time.

The ones I've taken apart didn't have any grease on the Nylon ratchet mechanism, so I wouldn't use any there.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Oh, I missed the "why".  I had several broken ones and made a good one out of the parts.  But I'm not sure I will take the time to fix that spring.  And I have a broken connector to the mercury switch.  So I have parts left over.