Bullnose column shift handle

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bullnose column shift handle

Nickelplate
As some of you might know from my other thread, I'm replacing my old AOD with a 4r70w in my 86 Bronco. The last little thing I need to do before buttoning everything up is put a button and an indicator light somewhere to turn on and off the Overdrive. I like the idea of having at least the button on the shifter handle, but I really like my OEM chrome handle. So I have a few questions for anyone who might know:

1. Is the stock bullnose column shift handle hollow? If so, I'd mod it to put my own button and light, and run the wiring inside.

2. Does anyone have a picture of a stock bullnose handle that is not in the column so I can avoid taking that dang roll pin out to look at mine? I'd like to see if the angles and the bottom part are the same between the old ones and the newer push-button style.

3. Are the stock bullnose handles and the later OD Push button handles interchangeable? Maybe someone knows already whether or not I can just throw a new-style one in.

Thanks!
1986 Bronco. 5.0L, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 EFI, Baumann-controlled 4r70w, 3.55 gears, 31" tires.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bullnose column shift handle

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have Dad's column off and will look to see if there's a way to answer your questions when I get out to the shop.

But the later trucks with an E4OD had a switch and indicator on the dash for the OD and that's what I've been planning to use.  However, if the handle is hollow...
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nope, it isn't hollow, as shown below.  So my plan is to use this one off of a 1990 truck:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Nickelplate
I like your idea of trying to mount a button in the shifter handle. That would be cool.

I bought a B&M Shifter handle with a button for the exact same reason with my 4R70W swap, and the darn thing is right in a spot where my leg will be hitting it all the time! DOH. The only way to not have this happen is to turn the knob/handle on an angle and while that is fine I don't know if I can live with it like that lol. My OCD will not deal well with this.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a solution.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I, too, want to see what you come up with.  As said, my plan has been to use that switch/indicator and I have intended to put it in the "pocket" to the right of the steering column.  The one where Dave stashes his garage door opener.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
having done this, I can only say "use the dash button". they have given you a gift by having done this already. locating it is the hard part as the dash was not laid out for it. but there is a place accessible right beside the wiper knob. it is not in a natural place to look but you probably won't use it that often.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Cory
If that button is what I think it would be used for I dont think it would work as it is not a on or off switch.
All the ones I have seen / used are for line locks to lock the front wheel brakes for a burn out or for a transmission brake.
You push the button in till ready to move and take your finger off and you can move.

As said I dont know how often you would be using it?
My 02 Durango has it at the end of the shift handle and the only times I would need to pull it out of over drive was pulling the car trailer and hit a pretty good hill.
I could have let the transmission done it but I found the speed / power would to low by the time the trans shifted so I would pull it out when still in the power range.
Not pulling the trailer I hardly ever turn it off.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
This has been on my list of things to do for a number of years now and i finally dove into it a couple of weeks ago. Very simple process. Grabbed a shift arm from a '95 F150.

It is very important to replicate the little half dome shapes of the '85 shifter. I simply used the ball of a PVC ball valve and modified that to work. Wish i had pics of that, but I don't
Kurt K
'85 XLT Lariat, 4.9L, NP435, 3.08LS, DSII, 130a 3G, PMGR, '87 MC, P235/R75
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's cool!  Well done!  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Tarheel Blue
I agree. That's great!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I this love the ingenuity of this custom made part. with this piece made it certainly should work as expected but the bends of the handle are very different and may hit the wheel, maybe just the knuckles. be careful as this being hollow it is far more fragile than the earlier lever. I've seen many broken and have even pulled one off in my hand myself. i would hate forall the custom work to get lost by a broken handle.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
Thanks Gary, Dane and Matt

The bends in the arm do place the end of the lever a little too close to the back of the steering wheel for my comfort. Will be looking around for one that has different geometry.  Maybe I need to look in the ‘97 up era, as I’ve seen pictures of arms that are straighter. If the arm was indeed hollow, I’d simply bend it to suit, but mine is a solid bar with the wires running in a dado the length of the arm and then covered with a unique shrink tube type of sleeve.
Kurt K
'85 XLT Lariat, 4.9L, NP435, 3.08LS, DSII, 130a 3G, PMGR, '87 MC, P235/R75
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I think you will find that the hollow portion begins under that sleeve.