Bullnose Plastics

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bullnose Plastics

Tarheel Blue
Recently I was reading a post over on FTE where they were discussing what kind of plastic some part was made of.
It went no where, with very limited useful information.

However, it did remind me of something that I’ve wanted to delve into for over a decade.

What are the true chemical classifications/ names of all of the various plastics of all of the various pieces that are part of our trucks?

My vision is that we all contribute ACURATE  knowledge and put it into maybe spreadsheet of;

A - what part are we referencing ( Ford’s nomenclature vs. commonly referred to as)
B - what is it made of (ABS, PVC, Nylon, etc.)
C - what is the proper chemical used when repairing said plastic (chemical name as well as household name/retail equivalent)
D - what chemicals should absolutely NOT be used
E - any special procedures necessary to obtain a good repair
F - a “how to” on when - “I don’t have the piece to reattach but want to build up and form the area to look new”

I’ll be happy to collate responses over time and will forward all of the knowledge gathered once this post seems to have run its course.

Any chemical engineers out there?
Kurt K
'85 XLT Lariat, 4.9L, NP435, 3.08LS, DSII, 130a 3G, PMGR, '87 MC, P235/R75
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bullnose Plastics

351FUN
This would be very good information, as I'm considering tossing these dash panels I just got into the dishwasher
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I do have a pretty good resource, one of the chemists I used to work with (now also retired) gave me what I needed to repair ABS plastic which is a very common type used by auto makers.

He told me to start with small shavings from a scrap piece and make a slurry using MEK and Acetone to dissolve the shavings, then simply use it as a glue to bond things together.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Tarheel Blue
I'm happy to put up a page with the info if y'all can pull it together.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thanks Bill, do you know the ratio of MEK to Acetone? 1:1, 2:1, ?
Any first hand knowledge of which pieces are ABS?
I’ve read a bunch about tests to determine composition but the tests involve burning. Folks don’t always have an extra piece to destroy.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I’ve roughed out a spreadsheet but started thinking about the pros and cons of having a living document. On the one hand, it would be great for people to see what has been gathered and where the gaps of knowledge still exist. However, everyone having the ability to edit/ add to it seems problematic. I retired before the whole shared document/ group discussion way of collaboration became the norm, so I’m unfamiliar with setting something up with safeguards in place.
I’m happy to do it the old fashion way of, I receive new info, update the sheet and post the current revision periodically. But there must be a better way.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Kurt - We can do this a couple of ways.  For instance, I'm the only one that has the ability to edit the calculator at Documentation/Driveline/Calculators, although anyone in the world can see it.  So I could be the gatekeeper.

But on our church website I've given specific people the ability to edit spreadsheets, like the directory, so we could set it up with just one or two others having the ability to edit the spreadsheet.  I like that better if it works for you.

So if you want to create the spreadsheet and shoot it to me I can put it on a page and then give you access.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Tarheel Blue
I have actually used it with just MEK and it seems to work well, what I was told was 1:1 ratio on MEK to Acetone. USE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA!!

A little MEK applied to a non-visible area will let you know if it softens the plastic, Most larger pieces have the type molded in somewhere.

Here is the backside of a trim piece from my Lebaron convertible:
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
That sounds perfect, as long as it’s not too much effort on your end. If I can have edit authority, I’ll maintain the file with info as it comes in from the community. You already have enough to look after.
The other consideration is where the document resides. Thinking about keeping it in this thread somehow until the flow of input runs its course and then, if worthy, stashing it in Resources, how tos?
I’ll send the spreadsheet to you privately to start.
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

Tarheel Blue
I couldn’t figure out how to attach the file in a private email to you so I’m attaching here

Bullnose_Plastics.xlsx
Kurt K
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here's what it looks like embedded on here, and if you want I'll put it on a web page of its own. Plus I've sent you a link to it so you can edit it on my OneDrive. Make a change, save it, refresh here, and you should see it.