classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Build sheet info?

T150vee
Hi!
While reupholsterting my bench seat I found the build sheet for my 1986 F150! Pretty exciting, to find the build sheet and the seat turned out pretty good also.
But finding any information on how to decipher a build sheet is almost non existent. Can anyone help?
BTW, there were two build sheets in my seat. One on the back rest (salvageable--see pix) and one on the bench which was shredded.
I can try to get a better photo of the build sheet if needed........
Any help appreciated! Thank you!
Build sheet
new seat upholstry
 V from SD
1986 Flareside 302 EFI 4 speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Build sheet info?

Dyn Blin
'Can't help with the decoding, but that seat looks great.

Was a that a kit or a DIY effort or professionally done?
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by T150vee
I've tried decoding the two build sheets I had available to me, as shown here: Specifications/Build Sheet Interpretation.

As you will see, I didn't get too far.  But, with your help we might be able to make some progress.  To do that I need the best quality pic you can take with the thing flattened out as much as possible.  Or, better yet, scan it in and the scanner will flatten it if you work with it gently and lay the build sheet on the glass.  And, I'll also need a good pic of your truck's certification label on the driver's door jamb - as shown here: Specifications/Certification Label.

However, do you know anything about the history of your truck?  In other words, are the engine, transmission, and other major components original?  If so then we should be able to get some info off of it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

T150vee
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
That was a DIY, from a ( I think) kit pattern, all those years of sewing has paid off!
 V from SD
Reply | Threaded
|

T150vee
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I believe I am the third owner; all major components, engine, transmission, transfer, etc. are all original.
Here are the photos:

I think I could get the build sheet a little better quality if needed...............
 V from SD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It would help if you could get a better quality picture.  That one is really hard to read.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I removed my bench seat today to clean under it and to try and diagnose a clunking sound I'm hearing that sounds like it's IN the cab (but under me). That's another story for another day.

Anyway, I pulled the build-sheet from under the seat, anxious to see what I could read and figure out from it.

Imagine my disappointment when I find out that the build sheet is not the correct one for my truck...LOL. What's funny is that the seat looks like it had never been replaced...the rear mounting bolts had the same undercoating on the threads that cover the whole underside of the cab. The front bolts had been removed before in order to remove the rubber floor mat.

What's interesting is that the build sheet IS for a 1984 F150, same as mine, also blue (of course).

From looking at the seat bolts and the underside of the cab, I can guarantee that the seat in my truck has been in it since it was undercoated, which was done (presumably) when it was purchased new (that's what most people around here do anyway). All I can guess is that for some reason the bench seat was swapped at the dealer when the truck was still new, or close to being new...I dunno.

That's all. Just a Sunday story. I figured I had a build-sheet to decode, but I guess it's all irrelevant now...lol.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's an interesting story.  I'm guessing that the original buy said "I'll take this truck but with that seat."  And since there are only 4 bolts holding it in, the dealership said "Sure!"

But that build sheet would have been a bear to read.  Dad's looked like that and it was a huge pain.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Doesn't happen all the time mind you. but having the wrong build sheet stuck in a car does happen. Things can get mixed up on the line. I've seen this before. Could even have been the wrong seat installed on the line.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
But that build sheet would have been a bear to read.  Dad's looked like that and it was a huge pain.
It's actually not as bad as it looks. I can read almost every bit of it. There are a couple spots buggered up a little bit, but you can still read them.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
PetesPonies wrote
Things can get mixed up on the line. I've seen this before. Could even have been the wrong seat installed on the line.
Well that's possible too, isn't it. I suppose in the 1980's there was a lot more hands on assembly than there is today. It's interesting in the fact that the build sheet was clearly for a truck very similar to mine...1984, 302, blue, plain Jane with no options. In fact, the VIN is the same right up to the last few digits which are the sequential serial numbers so to speak.

I actually didn't even notice that the VIN was different until I saw 133" wheelbase on the build-sheet. Then I noticed the rest. In my mind, it's all coincidental enough that whenever this seat ended up in the truck, it was very early in the truck's life, if not at the very beginning.