classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bucket Seat or Captain's Chair Mounting Musings

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Some of you know that I'm debating having either buckets seats or captain's chairs rebuilt & recovered to fit in Big Blue.  In fact, I've installed the captain's chairs for Dad's truck in BB and will be taking off on a road trip in a few days to test them out.  And if I like them then I'll be considering how to install blue ones.

The way they are installed now is using one of Ford's brackets, shown below, that bolts right into the regular or crewcab floor and the chairs bolt to that.  But as I only have one of those, and since they are expensive, I'm considering other options for Big Blue as I plan to use that one for Dad's truck.

There are two options swirling around in my brain, but they are basically the same, only differing in the mount that attaches to the floor.  The one on the left, below, uses some left over brackets from the captain's chairs.  As it turns out, the outside brackets bolt to the RC/CC floors.  The one on the right uses bench seat brackets, which obviously bolt on perfectly.

The left approach puts the top of that angle ~3" off the floor, but the one on the right puts it ~2 1/2" off the floor.  So that would allow a 1/2" spacer to get the captain's chair adjusters above the bench seat adjuster enough to clear.  (I'd cut the arm of the bench seat adjuster off.)

The angle is actually bed rails and is 1 3/4" wide by 2" high.  My thinking is that if they handle the load of a bed across 76" then they'll easily handle two adults + the chairs across 44".

The overall shape would be basically a ladder with cross pieces welded in where the inside tracks go, and maybe another pair where the console goes to provide mounting locations for it.

Thoughts?  Questions?  Suggestions?  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bucket Seat or Captain's Chair Mounting Musings

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  There seems to be a whole lot of interest in this subject given all the posts.  NOT!  

But, I do have a question for y'all.  David/1986F150Six found this "92-96 FORD F150 F250 F350 BENCH TO BUCKET oem SEAT FRAME mount bracket w/ track" on ebay and sent me a link.  However, that sure doesn't look like the factory one I have, shown in the pic in the first post.

Have any of you see one like this?  It looks like it is made from some some brackets that fit the floor, a plate on top of them, ~1" square tubing under that, and two more plates for the inside tracks.  Do you agree?

If so, is that better, in either strength or looks, than what I was talking about with angle?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
My first thought was finding one at a u pull it.

I agree that the one pictured that David sent you doesn’t look factory, but I haven’t looked at them for awhile.

That one might be something to start with and you could make better as you see fit. I didn’t look for a price though.

Edit: saw the price, wow!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, wow!  

I’m thinking I can make one with the materials I have on hand, meaning essentially zero cost. I have two starting points - the leftover brackets from the bucket seats or those from the bench seat - the bits that bolt to the floor. And since anyone wanting to do this will have a bench seat and it’s brackets available I’m tempted to use them.

That way people can weld up the frame and bolt it to the brackets and bypass these people who want big bucks for a simple platform.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David/1986F150six sent me a link to this ebay advert for an aftermarket mounting bracket.  It has several pics, but I've captured these for posterity.

Thanks, David!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I am well and truly CONFUSED!  And I'm not sure I'm smart enough to articulate what is confusing me.  

But before I get into that, I thank Chad/Littlebeefy for the bucket seats!  Man, what a gift!  I'm really going to like having them in Big Blue.

However, I have a lot of figuring out to do with regard to how to mount them.  Here are just a couple of the issues, most of which I've created myself:

Spacing: The fore/aft spacing between mounting holes on these buckets is 13".  But the same mounting bolt holes on the captain's chairs I have for Dad's truck are 12 1/2" apart.  I don't think that is going to be a problem as I think there is room to drill another hole in the "mounts" to accommodate the longer distance, but it seems odd as I thought the buckets were interchangeable with the captain's chairs.

Mounts: According to the illustrations from the MPC (Documentation/Interior/Seats & Seat Tracks) only the driver's seat had adjuster tracks and only the passenger's seat had the wedges.  Instead I used wedges and adjuster tracks on both sides on the captain's chairs, which means I surely didn't have them at the right height or angle.

So I'd like to hear from some of y'all as to how your bucket seats or captain's chairs are mounted.  I believe the factory way is for the driver's side to be mounted to fixed stands with adjusting tracks, and for the passenger's seat to be mounted to the "ejector" mount with wedges.  Right?

All of this makes me realize that I need to be a bit more scientific in the way I figure out where to mount the seats.  And here's my cunning plan:

Bolt the outboard fixed mount to the LH mounting point of the cab, bolt the slider to it, and bolt the driver's seat to the slider.

Prop up the inside edge of the seat so the bottom of the seat is level with the floor, side to side.

Measure where the mounting points of the seat are with respect to something fixed in the cab.  This would include both the fore/aft position, height, and angle of the seat bottom.

Design the new mounting arrangement to get the driver's seat back to that height, fore/aft position, and angle.

Does this approach seem reasonable?

As for the passenger's seat, I hope to use sliders on it as well since the passenger's seatback doesn't tilt like the driver's does.  Instead it is held in place by a bolt, but can be tilted by pulling that bolt.  However, the hope is that I won't need to do so in order to get to the things in the storage unit if it is on sliders.

But, if you have a better idea I'd sure like to know what it is.

Otherwise I'll try to put the passenger's seat in the same position as the driver's seat.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
The mounting from the aftermarket looks very similar to the one that came with my aftermarket seats that are in Eunice. Not sure if that helps.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  That's the kind of mounting I'm planning on creating for these factory seats.  However, I'm planning to use the brackets from the bench seat I took out, and they can have their adjusters installed if the mounting positions allow.  That would mean I can move the whole unit fore/aft as well as move the individual seats fore/aft, and it would let me move the console fore/aft as well.

Not sure that will work, but that's what I'm thinking.

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary,
I don't know if it helps but it may give you an idea. Those seats will bolt directly to the fox body Mustang sliders on both drivers and passengers without modification. I'm wondering if you bolted a set of those on instead, could you modify the slider base slightly to fit your bracket? I think the mount holes on the slider base are further out than the seat base, so that may only exacerbate the problem.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chad - Thanks a good idea.  And the sliders I have do have the mount holes farther out than the seat mounting holes, so that's not a problem.

In fact, I'm planning on running a piece of angle fore/aft for each slider to bolt to, so I can change the length of the angle to accommodate the length of the slider.