classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
140 messages Options
12345 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Brutus's Progress in pictures

86 1/2 Brutus
Gary, I had a very good conversation with them.  I almost cut the conversation short when i was told that if the vehicle is demolished they keep it, but after she told me that, i told her  the stories behind Brutus and the Rancehro.  She then told me they can but a rider on it stating that I get to keep the vehicle.  Its a bit more money, but the insurence itself even with the rider is cheap and with an agreed value.   Unfortunately they will not insure me right now because like i stated above, i live to close to the coast.  She told me if i build a garage they will.  Other areas you can get away with a carport, i think it's a louisiana thing, i'm not really sure.   I've done lots of reasearch into the company, and they are totally above board.  The way it  worked out, that is if they would insure me.  right now i'm paying 80 bucks a month to progressive for the vic, Brutus and the ranchero, all  liability and um only.  My bill with Hagerty would be about 110 a month only for Brutus and the Ranchero, full complete coverage 26k on Brutus and 29K on the Ranchero. They will not insure a daily driver, and you have to have a daily driver insured with somebody in order to get it
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
She also did inform me that every quarter the vehicles value is usually increased.   When i first talked to her, i mainly was calling about the Ranchero, i mentioned Brutus to her.  She told me the Bullnose trucks are gaining very rapidly in value.  She asked me a bunch of questions about Brutus, no mind you, Brutus and the Ranchero are both sepcial edition vehicles which adds some value to them because of there rarity, but a bullnose single cab, long bed is worth anywhere between 10 to 16 k as they sit
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, no this isnt the first Rodeo.  It's kind  of cool, between the stuff i know and the stuff nick knows, between us we can pretty much do anything we want.  If i had a rack, i'd fix the vic myself, thats the only thing stopping me, and i have a really hard time paying somebody to do something that either nick or i can do ourselves.  Being relavtively poor teaches you alot
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
My old truck, the parts truck, the 88.  That truck tought us how to paint, its every color of the rainbow, LOL
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
George - Thanks for that.  I'll be calling Hagerty.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I can relate.
Growing up dirt poor I had to do everything myself.
I learned a lot.
Not only about ICE and vehicles, but about myself and others.

I can appreciate your position.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You haven't seen Bill Vose's truck "Darth"  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Yes, Darth is awesome.  
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Same here Jim, but in a way, we are very lucky.  I think we appreciate our things a bit more, i know i do.  I  take great pride in the things i do and have to try and do them as cheaply as possible.  Like learning how to paint there's no way Brutus would have ever been able to get a paint job, but the parts truck, the Ranchero and eventually the Vic  We were able to paint Brutus and it isn't anything fancy, its Rusto, and to be quite honest, i think it looks better then some of those fancy BC CC paint jobs and most definately outshines any factory job, but i also have alot of work in that paint job.  Not really that i want to show off, its more of  I did this, now dont get me wrong, you know Brutus gonna get some looks and im gonna eat it up.  But us folks that do it ourselves, you can just tell.  Our trucks aren't perfect, but we did them ourselves with the backaches, smashed fingers, cussing, blue shoes, greese you just cant get out from under your fingernails without a dremmel. broken bolts.  Once its all done and it seams like it never will you end up with something that not to many people can say they have.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
"Built, not Bought!"

I think Gary wants that as a window sticker (even if it is a ricer meme)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
that is going to be
Brutus front tag, it has a pic of Brutus the cartoon charactor with Brutus written over it and and at the bottom it says built not bought
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Seems a theme then, for those worshipping here in the Garagemahal!

I don't want (or need) to attract any attention.
While I may have had bright orange and very loud vehicles in the past, I prefer to fade into the woodwork.

The Porsche I passed at well over 100 a couple of weeks ago may disagree that I'm keeping it low key,
But I'm just another old, red, work truck.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Jim  i just saw your question about what kind of paint we're  using.  its Rusto  
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'm using *Corrotech hardner and a mixture of acetone and toluene to reduce it.
Straight acetone seems too hot, and I end up with more orange peel than I want.

I need to replace the back right corner (where the backhoe hit me) and at least my rusted out passenger door before I go after the rest of it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Brutus is Royal Blue with a 1 to 1 mix with acetone, no hardner.    Rusto is the only company that makes the correct color Burugndy for the ranchero, i think i'm going to try the hardner on that one.

have you used it with and with out hardner?
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
what mixture of acetone and toulene are you using?    It's hit and miss with orange peel with us.  This go round on Brutus came out really good.  the pics of the paint is before water sanding
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I believe I was at 70/30 A to T, but I will have to check my notes.

Without hardner Rust-oleum is soft for days (as the oxygen diffuses into it, and promotes polymerization)

This is why if you wait too long between coats you'll get alligators.
If too long you need to wait until it is hard all the way through.

With a metallic salt (cobalt napthanate, usually) this process is catalyzed and sped up immensely.

You get a harder, glossier paint job and you can cut it back much sooner if you like.

I try not to wet sand, though I do have paper to 2500.
I use a cheap Horrid Fate buffer and have 3 wool bonnets with the good old DuPont #7 rubbing and also polishing compounds, then finish with Meguiars #2.

/geek
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I go through all the steps, 1k grit, 1.5k grit, 2k, then finish off with 3k, 3m compound, polish.   Here is an after

Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Please let me know about the mix, i have to do some touch up areas, and may reshoot the whole thing.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That looks beautiful!  

My work truck is not nearly straight enough for that kind of gloss.

Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing first gained traction producing auto paint sandpaper for Ford back when Model T's and A's were painted (black only) by brush!

They have a LOT of experience in ultra fine abrasives, and the automobile finishing trade in particular.
 Jim,
12345 ... 7