Bronco... cheap...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bronco... cheap...

Gsmblue
I am so tempted... might go look at it... thoughts?

https://bend.craigslist.org/cto/d/1982-ford-bronco/6544776632.html
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bronco... cheap...

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Certainly worth a look.  You've probably seen Pete's post that the Bullnose Bronco's are headed up in price according to Hagerty.  But, if the engine is bad you are looking at a min of $2k, so it gets 'spensive quickly.  And, with the engine not running you can't tell if anything else is good.

Still, if it is close then it might be worth a look.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I think I will drive the 2 miles to look at it! If I do make it I will post back here ..

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Musky1011
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thing has a body lift on it
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
2 whole miles?  Can't wait to find out.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
A lot nicer and cheaper, than the one I bought. Mine is an '83. I can tell you all about that rust spot in the back of the quarters. There's a support right there, mud trapped, rusts out the support and the quarter.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
So no pressure then!

I will call the guy in the morning!

Looks like a lot of work... if it could be a daily driver with little effort ...

Not a fan of the lift. Who knows what state that engine/tranny is in.... $$$$ 😬

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Hey... this Bronco has a good bush bar and more importantly, it appears to have the very rare and elusive POWER MIRRORS!!! 
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good catch, David.  And, it appears to have had, or maybe still has, fog lamps.  So, probably has the fog lamp bezel and switch.  Maybe easily worth more than $900 for the parts - assuming they are usable.

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
If it was on the East Coast, IT would be mine already!!!!!! No brain-er for me.....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Could be a winner, especially if those mirrors are good.

Another one up your way. You probably seen it.

Seems a little sketchy, and too pricey IMO.

https://bend.craigslist.org/cto/d/1986-ford-bronco/6525950022.html
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by reamer
Just dropped the seller an email to arrange going to see it..

I showed it to the wife and she did not seem to protest too hard!

I have a friend primed to help me, incase I decide to tow it home!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's the sure-fire test - show the wife.  In my case I'd get a "what are you thinking - oh, you aren't!"  

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I can honestly say I can buy and sell whatever vehicle I want. Don't have to "ask" anyone. Wifey doesn't care.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
We are building a house so money is a little tight...

BUT.

I did go check it out The body work is pretty clean. Interior is complete, no fog lamp bezel.

It did start - just, but then died. Had to hold throttle wide open to start and would hold revs to mid throttle and died at idle.

It has good fuel pressure by the look of it but I think the spark is weak as one of the wires on the coil is loosely tied on. I am sure there are other issue too.. I really need someone that is used to messing with edlebrock carbs to look at it..

Has a smog delete and AC delete :( Looks like the headers are leaking oil and the coolant has a leak somewhere near the pump.

All power windows work

Power mirrors do not.

Back cover has never been off

Missing spare tire carrier

It is XLT Lariat

Got some connectors in my pocket and a spark tester.. going to check it out again pretty sure it will come home with me tomorrow even if I have to tow it :)

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Nice. What did he sell it for and did he have any other offers?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I paid $900, the asking price. he just lost his job and needs to make rent :( I am such a soft touch...

I get to pick it up tomorrow :)

We managed to get it started, after I replace the wire from the starter solenoid to the coil. But it ran for a bit and died off. Infact, in the video below you can hear the throttle blip and then I stopped the video and and the engine just died out...

Any advice welcomed!

https://youtu.be/l0R3IvqTcMY

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Congrat's!!  $900 is a good price and you shouldn't feel badly about paying that.

As for the engine, it sounds good.  So if it died I'm going to guess that it ran out of fuel.  Maybe a bad pump?  Or hose with leaks between the pump and the tank?  Or just out of gas?

Can't wait for the pics!

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
This is a Duraspark ignition, there is no wire from the solenoid to the coil. So I'm confused.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Thanks for the feed back!!

This engine has some funky stuff going on. I wish I got more pics. I have not checked the fuel pressure personally.

The coil has a line going to the solenoid, the bright red wire in this pic.

Behind the black tool box there was some kinda brain box, but apparently that has been disconnected. Not sure if that is related to the duraspark.

There was fuel in the clear filter the whole time, but the tank is low on gas. I will pick up some clear tomorrow.

The story from the owner is "Well, I rebuilt the carb and it didn't work, so I did it again and found a small spring in the  wrong place and fixed it. Then it started up, but won't stay running"

A very suspect story!

My friend has worked on Edlebrocks in the past, so he said he is going to look at it for me tomorrow and as a worst case we will just tow it back to my Ranch :) The current owner is convinced it is a carb issue as it was fine before he fixed it.

"Eylza Dual-little"