Bronco Emblems....

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bronco Emblems....

Matt Wood
I'm still hunting and finding the last few bits to my puzzle in order to complete the resto on my bronco.

The PO has put what look like Dennis Carpenter reproduction stick on bronco emblems on the fenders. I am going to change them after paint to the originals. here is where my question comes from....

On ebay i have found a seller that has an abundance of NOS 'Bronco' emblems which i intend to purchase for the rate of $65 a pair... ouch.

He also has for sale a pair of bronco emblems and a pair of bronco logo emblems for $100

My understanding is that i should have 'Bronco' and 'XLT' below it. where would the bronco logos go?

I dont want to put them on my bronco but if they would have been there from the factory i will put them back. i have looked through my dealer bronco brochure from 1985 and i cant see them anywhere!

Could someone tell me the 'correct' placement of all the logos and emblems around the truck so i can put it back to original.

Thanks as always

Matt
'Shelby' - 1985 bronco XLT, 351W C6, Limited slip 9 inch
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bronco Emblems....

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt - Glad you are finding the bits you need.  It can be a whole bunch of work to find every last one - I know.

On the horse emblem, our page at Documentation/Exterior/Name Plates says that is a Type 1, and that shows to have been on the front fenders.  But I can't find an illustration that shows where they go.

On top of that, none of the pictures I see in the brochures have them.  So I'm doubting they were used.  If your fenders don't have the holes for them then I don't think yours came with them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I want to say I cant remember seeing them on our year trucks
I want to say they were on the first gen Bronco's but could be wrong as it has been a long time since I seen one of them.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks for the info gary, ive now had a look through that page and to my astonishment the ones on ebay (different part number) look different to the ones 'supposed' to be on my truck. maybe I do have original ones on mine? Im now very un sure! mine appear to have a foam padding behind them but are not stuck on to my knowledge as i can easily lift the ends without it looking sticky if you know what i mean.

What is the safe way to remove these if they are original?

I would be lead to believe that my truck only had bronco written on it and did not have the XLT badge below as there are no holes. I have confirmed its an XLT with the Marti report. would this have been possible? or am i missing something here?

I want my bronco to look original as it would have off the assembly line. all be it with the small lift it has and the different wheels i chose to have on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
That is exactly my thoughts... maybe gary was on to something with they made them but didn't use them... its possible it was a choice to use the original horse but with the complete re design of the full size maybe ford went away from it?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Matt Wood
I just did a Google search for E0TZ 16228-A and found this advertisement on ebay.  And since this advert may well go away at any time I'm going to document it here.

First, the title is NOS GENUINE 1980-90 Ford Bronco Horse Fender Emblem E0TZ-16228-A Bronco II 2 OEM.  Note that the title says both "Bronco" and "Bronco II".  I think that is correct as the MPC shows the same part number being used for both vehicles.

And in the pics, as you'll see, there are barrel retainers slipped over the two pins.  So to remove it you have to gently pry the retainer back and off the pin.

Also, note the very last pic - of a Bullnose Bronco.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
well documented as always!

I think you're right, they are for the Bronco II

This is the link i used, no mention to this at all https://www.ebay.com/itm/393855730120?hash=item5bb3a181c8:g:ATkAAOSwU21fOxHn

I would also guess that the emblems in this listing are for an 80 - 81 bronco

I fear the word 'pry' how hard should i pry and will i lose the retainers inside the fender?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wasn't saying they are Bronco II emblems.  I'm saying they are both Bullnose Bronco and Bronco II emblems.

I say that because they first came out in 1980, as shown with the "E0" part of the prefix.  So they were used starting in 1980 and the B-II didn't come out until 1984 and most of its parts start with "E3" or "E4".

But looking at the dealer books I can see that for 1980 and 81 the Broncos had the horse on the fenders right below the word BRONCO.  And the trim level badge was on the B-pillar.  However in '82 the horse was replaced by the trim level badge on the fender.

So, what year is your Bronco?  You don't have it in your sig, so...

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oops, missed the bit about "pry".  The retainers are usually a split ring that fits tightly.  And you'll want to pry, or is that prise, on the fastener itself, not the emblem.  But to do that you may have to pull the inner fender liner loose.

Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
Indeed they are for both, 80 - 81 bronco and the B2 The 'Bronco' badge font also changed! from a flat metal chrome to a plastic almost embossed style chrome

my bronco is an '85 says it right at the bottom of every post from my account
Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
that doesn't sound fun at all! I think ill wait until its paint time to pull those off!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It isn't fun.  It would be scary on new paint.

And I missed the year in your sig.  Sorry.  

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Matt Wood
Get a set of hard plastic wedges and work your way around, separating the adhesive from the truck until you can get a good bite. Then alternate between the locations close to the pins, working it out. The original paint is pretty tough and if you want them off now, I wouldn't worry about any major damage occurring. The barrel clips for the emblems are obtainable (if they don't come with the new for whatever reason) so no sweat if they lose their tabs and come out with the emblem.

Also fwiw not all emblems use clips. Instead the holes/pins are just for alignment and the adhesive holds it on. When buying NOS, the adhesive is a gamble so some 3M emblem glue comes in handy.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Matt Wood
Thanks yeah I had a little look earlier and I dont appear to have any locking nuts on the back side, so it must be stuck on. I was going to try and slice it off with fishing line or something thin but I wont try that until I'm getting ready to paint, which is a good few months away yet due to the weather!