Broken front drive shaft

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Broken front drive shaft

Paulco
I just broke my front axle that is used for 4 wheel drive. It was my mistake I drove the new universal joint in too hard and cracked it. My question is can I drive with the shaft in place as it was used for 4x4 mode? Nothing is exposed so I think it would be ok.
1982 Ford F-150 XL 4x4 Short Bed with 302 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Broken front drive shaft

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If you mean can you drive in 2wd with a broken front shaft, yes you can.  In fact, you can just leave the front shaft off and drive in 2wd.

But if you mean can you drive in 4wd with a broken shaft, I'd say no.  You are likely to have that shaft break completely and when it lets go it could cause some major problems.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Paulco
Your"axle" or the front driveshaft? (From transfer case to pinion yoke)

You can drive without the driveshaft in place.
Do you want a new one, or do you want to get a new yoke welded on?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Paulco
In reply to this post by Paulco
Took it round the block it will work fine as 2wd for now. Probably try and pick one up at a salvage yard in the future. Good news is  no more knocking sound now I have new u joints on the rear shaft.
1982 Ford F-150 XL 4x4 Short Bed with 302 V8
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Nothing more annoying than the screech, screech, screech of a dried out U-joint!
I'm glad you've got two problems solved!

Hopefully a new-to-you driveshaft will be easy to find.
I think they are all the same across 150's and Broncos.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, glad you got the rear shaft fixed.  You'll be fine as 2wd for a while, so you can shop for that front shaft.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI