classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Brake Booster Parts

Machspeed
Administrator
I'm going to clean up my brake booster before I put it back on but I'm in need of some parts. Need a new check valve and, for lack of correct nomenclature, the plastic cover shown below. Can someone tell me what this part is and where I might acquire it? I can find the check valve but no find on the plastic piece.

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Brake Booster Parts

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - I can't find that part in the illustrations.  Maybe I'm missing it, but....

However, I'm sure I have at least one that I don't need.  I'll ship it to you, but my shipping place won't be open until Monday.  However, I could also include the air pressure regulator and fittings that allow you to bleed the brakes with just air pressure - assuming you have compressed air available.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary, I'm thinking your MC may be different than mine, as in another port. Can you send me a pic illustrating how you bleed your MC?

And, if you have that plastic shield and are willing to part with it, I'd sure like to have it. I can't find it anywhere on the web. I'll text you my address.

John

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
I think that white plastic piece comes with a new booster, so I assume it is not available as a separate item?

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
John - The writeup on the brake bleeding tool is at Gary's Brake Bleeding Tool, and there are lots of pics.  But I don't bleed through a port.  Instead I put about 3 psi of air pressure on top of the fluid and crack open a bleeder valve.  Initially you'll get a lot of air and have to make sure the master doesn't go dry, but after you get the most of the air out it goes quickly.

The only possible problem is the size of the cap.  Measure yours and tomorrow I'll measure mine.  And, I'll make sure I have the plastic piece.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
I think that white plastic piece comes with a new booster, so I assume it is not available as a separate item?
Yes, I think you are right.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Ohhhhh.....that's ingenious, Gary! I missed that post. Yeah, I'll get you that cap measurement. Thanks  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you'll like it, assuming that my cap is the same size as yours.  Sure makes bleeding the system easier.

And, by the way, I've "assigned" this to me, which means I'm supposed to get an email about it that I can follow up on tomorrow.  Besides, I want to see how this new feature works.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The 'feature' is interesting...
It definitely got my attention.  ðŸ‘€

I'm fairly sure all the Bricknose reservoirs use the same cap.
But you must be careful with the air pressure.
The plastic reservoir is only a press fit into the master.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
And, by the way, I've "assigned" this to me, which means I'm supposed to get an email about it that I can follow up on tomorrow.  Besides, I want to see how this new feature works.  
That's cool! I see the assignment among the many threads on the main page and at the top of my initial post.

Looks too like I have the ability to unassigned, reasign to different person, and change priority.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, as an admin you do have.  You should also have assignment notices for the Work Groups threads.  Yes?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - Here's the package I'll ship to you on Monday.  It includes:

Plastic Piece: This one is drilled for both the smaller and larger boosters, and it fits both the one off Big Blue as well as the one off Dad's truck, so I'm sure it'll fit.  Unfortunately it is in black.  

Regulator/Gauge: I assume you have compressed air with the standard fittings?  This regulator and gauge are low pressure, and Jim is right, you don't want to put more than maybe 5 psi on the master's reservoir.  I think I used 4 psi.  But, be careful as that regulator is probably set to 7 or 8 as it is what I use for powder coating and 8 is about the magic pressure for that.

Cap & Hoses: The cap should fit based on your pic, on the left, and mine on the right, below.  And the extra hose is what I used to run from the bleeder screw to the catch can.

As said, here are the caps, yours on the left and mine on the right.  And, I'm going to mark this task "Unassigned".  (The task in my mind was to get the bits together, not ship them.  )

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
That's great, thanks Gary! Wished I could come up with a nomenclature on that plastic part. And yes, I do have compressed air.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I didn't think you'd painted your truck with a rattle can!  ðŸ˜‰
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I didn't think you'd painted your truck with a rattle can!  ðŸ˜‰
Jim, are you in danger of becoming a smarta**....!

Back there in the corner it be...........
John

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
At least I'm not a dumb***???  ðŸ™ƒ
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

fryntrz
Funny this was posted - I spent my weekend gutting the ‘85 cab.  When I pulled the booster, mine disintegrated as well and had me thinking I’ll need to source one.  That foam gasket will will need to be replaced after paint but that is much easier to replicate if needed.

Bryan
1985 F-150 2wd frame off restomod underway, 460ci/TKO600 swapped
Instagram: @fryntrz
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Speaking of brake booster parts, I just received a new booster for the 1980 project truck, and it doesn't have that plastic part. It just has a rubber bellows type seal on the back. Is it OK just like this or should I go digging the old booster out of the junk heap to see if the plastic piece is still on the back of it??

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Corey, that is in place of the old plastic cover. Frankly, that is better than the plastic cover! Stay with it.  
John