BlueTop gearbox: Are they worth their price?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
Assigned: ReneH at priority
(Normal)
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

BlueTop gearbox: Are they worth their price?

ReneH
Hi together!

as looking for a remanufactured gearbox, Gary told me about Blue Top and what they make different to other remanufactured gear-boxes. So does someone has experiences with Blue Top? Cause only checking the price, they're very expensive to competitors like BBB Industries. If buying one from BBB I'll get the box about $100 less.

I'm driving not very much...less than 9,000 miles per year. No "real" off-road use...so,
the question is, if they are worth their price...especially when taking a look at my useage...

Thanks for your comments!
René's Profile

Bronco 1986 Ford Bronco XLT 302/347 stroker with 351W EEC-IV and 351W factory cam C6 gearbox. Jeep 1986 Jeep CJ7 256 I6 with T5 gearbox. Buggy 1972 HAZ Buggy 122 Ford Cologne V6
Baron 1994 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 183 V6 4-speed automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: BlueTop gearbox: Are they worth their price?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm going to tag John/Machspeed on this because I know he has installed one and REALLY likes it.  But I'll let him respond instead of me quoting what he said.

However, Rene, you could search for Bluetop in the forum and you'd find his comments as well as those of others.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ReneH
I was going that way, following my friends advices, when the manufacturer informed me that they do not ship out of continental US.

I went with my local NAPA reconditioned one, and I can say that I am really satisfied.

Like you, I am not driving a lot each year, no rough trails neither.

It does the job... for the moment!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by ReneH
I'm very pleased with my Blue Top steering box and the business itself. I have write-up here on the website about my experience somewhere but to be brief, I sent in my original unit out and got it back within a couple days. Yes, a couple days! Maybe three, actually. I just remember it was quick. When I got the email from them that they were shipping my steering box back, I questioned that it was mine and not one they pulled from their shelves. That was important to me. In that, I called them, and they ensured me what was coming back to me was what I sent out. Upon inspection, it was indeed the unit I sent out and not only dit it look great but it performed great as well. I love my Blue Top steering box!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I sent my original to Blue Top for a rebuild. Very happy with it. I have a Saginaw pump for it and my Hydroboost.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I had a reman put on my Bronco, and it was sloppy. I bought a blue top, installed it and it improved the steering an untold amount.  I also have the borg steering shaft that changes the feel of the steering as there is no rag joint. Now I can feel the slop in the rest of the front end. Hopefully getting to that next week.

But, in short, a strong vote from me for blue top.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

ReneH
Ok, thanks to all. I've ordered one this morning...
René's Profile

Bronco 1986 Ford Bronco XLT 302/347 stroker with 351W EEC-IV and 351W factory cam C6 gearbox. Jeep 1986 Jeep CJ7 256 I6 with T5 gearbox. Buggy 1972 HAZ Buggy 122 Ford Cologne V6
Baron 1994 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 183 V6 4-speed automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I hope you are happy with it.

Like I said, now I have to do the ball joints, control arm bushings and steering links to try and get the rest of the front end tightened up.

It is a domino effect, you fix the weakest link then the next weakest is exposed!

As Gary says, it is like peeling back an onion.. lots of layers...

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Get the Borgeson steering shaft. No question it's the way to go if you want to reduce play and float.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

RXRXP1000
For the Borgeson shaft I see there are 2 types, one with a damper and one without.  Any thoughts or experience on each?

80-'91 Full Size Ford Truck
Part # 000985
1980-1991 Ford truck heavy duty telescopic steel steering shaft. Connects from factory column to steering box. Extreme duty with billet steel universal joint and vibration reducer upgrade.

80-'91 Full Size Ford Truck
Part # 000980
1980-1991 Ford truck heavy duty telescopic steel steering shaft. Connects from factory column to steering box. Extreme duty with two billet steel universal joints.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4 Longbox, 5.0 EFI
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
The one with the damper will have a more stock feel the one without will transmit more road vibration.

When I got mine I was not aware of the difference and have the one without the damper. If I could do it again I would get the one with the damper.

Just my 2 cents.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

RXRXP1000
Thanks for the input!
1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4 Longbox, 5.0 EFI