16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Blue Top Steering Gears

Machspeed
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'm blown away! I sent my steering box into Blue Top Steering last week for which was received just yesterday and it will be on the Brown Truck headed back today. I read somewhere on their website that they have a 1 day turn around time on rebuilds, but wow! When they called me for payment, I even questioned that they had rebuilt mine and Ryan, the individual whom I spoke with, confirmed it saying, "we don't waste any time getting our rebuilds back out". I spoke with this particular gentleman prior to sending it out and he seems like a first class individual.

https://bluetopsteeringgears-com.3dcartstores.com/ 

I'll keep the site posted on this!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Blue Top Steering Gears

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  That's excellent service.  I think you are going to like that box, and may do that to Big Blue if your report is as I expect it to be.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Machspeed
This is on my list to order in March. The Bronco really needs it!

Please post with your review of the install and performance!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Absolutely!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I ordered mine on line and got it in no time.
I followed the paper on how to flush the system and bleed it and it worked great.
I sent my old box back as a core and in no time I got my money for the core.
I would do it again if I had to.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Received my gearbox from Blue Top the other day. I sent in my box for rebuild and was blown away at the turn around time for completion. They received it a.m. time and they called me that same day, late afternoon, to let me know it was done. The completion time was so fast, I had concerns that they didn't rebuild my box and were subbing me another already rebuilt unit. Ryan, the gentlemen I spoke to confirmed that they rebuilt my box. Unpackaging, confirmed it was my gearbox. If this unit steers nicely and is without leaks, I'll be singing their praises. Very professional outfit! Will update again after it's in and I've tested it. Sure looks pretty!!!

John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Quit typing and start wrenching!  Enquiring minds want to know!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Haha.... I think I'm going to just let it sit on the bench and admire it for a while!!!

Actually, I've got a steering shaft in the works right now and won't be messing with it until the steering shaft is all cleaned up and pretty. I also pulled the starter for a PMGR starter upgrade and as you know, am into a bunch of re-wiring mess that is defiantly going to need some Gary time! I really need to do just one thing at a time....sheez.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
LOL!!!  

I know the feeling.  But yes, you need the steering shaft.  However you could put the PMGR starter on and run one #10 wire and be in business.

As for "Gary" time, that'll happen - after we both get some other stuff done.    

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
That box is a beauty! I can't wait to hear your thoughts after driving it. I hope your pitman arm and 3 mounting bolts are not difficult to remove. I know you don't have the same levels of rust there, but I have broken those mounting bolts before, on TWO frames. Removing those bolts is a very UNFUN job.

In any case, good luck John. Can't wait to hear the results.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized that you already removed the original box. Duh...lol.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Finally got my Blue Top rebuilt steering box bolted in along with an updated steering shaft out of a 91 F150. The 91 steering shaft is a better option than the 86 and a whole lot cheaper than a Borgeson unit. It bolted right in without issues. Filled the system with Type F fluid as recommended by the owners manual and Blue Top. Bled the system and took it out for a spin.

Very very pleased with the steering now. It is super tight with no slop. I wasn't expecting much improvement really, just had the box rebuilt because it was leaking, not because I thought is was wore out.

Anyway, I said I'd report back on my Blue Top experience and to say that I am very pleased is an understatement! Very impressed with these people.... the turn around time and my box provided it does not leak. That of course may take some time.

And Gary, I never was able to separate that 86 steering shaft. The plastic cover came with the 91 shaft and I just used it. It has some slight damage underneath and as it is not seen, I just went with it.    
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So glad to see that you like the Blue Top that well, John.  Speaks highly of them and their work.

As for getting that shaft apart, I assume you tried the slide hammer and it wouldn't budge.  Glad the other cover worked out.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Good to hear!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Excellent news John! Don't ya just feel like going for a long drive now??..
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Rembrant wrote
Excellent news John! Don't ya just feel like going for a long drive now??..
Yes, but with gas where it is today and running non-ethanol fuel, long rides are expensive! Hopefully, that changes. Hopefully, a lot of things change! And, that's all I'm gonna say about that
John

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I'm not sure what the question is about the cover being able to come off. all of the ones I have seen are relief cut over the rag joint to just open up and slide right off. sort of like a Remington golden Sabre, if you know what I mean.