classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Blue Top For Big Blue?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Since getting Big Blue on the road I've never been impressed with his steering as there seems to be a lot of play in it, even though the previous owner replaced the steering box.  But as we all know there are only two outfits, Redhead and Blue Top, that bore out the box and press in an actual bearing, therefore tightening up the steering, and this isn't one of those.

Given that I've been thinking about replacing the steering box with a Blue Top - especially after seeing that they have been on the fringe of going out of business due to lack of help.  Fortunately their website now says "We will be reducing inventory until we are able to get more help. Please be patient with us as we try to keep up with the demand."

Today I realized that I have a leak in the steering system as there is a puddle of ATF in the catch tray over which Big Blue is parked.  And looking up behind the steering box I can see that the hoses up there are wet.  But it is so tight up in there that figuring out where the leak is and fixing it isn't going to be easy.

So I'm thinking now is the time to remove the steering box, which will give me much better access to all of the connections.  But if I have the box out it seems now is the time to replace it.

As of now I don't know where the leak is, but will be trying to determine that soon.  However in the interim I'm toying with ordering the Blue Top.  They say they have them in stock, so why not?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Blue Top For Big Blue?

FuzzFace2
I got a Blue Top on my 81 F100 and love it.
They were cheaper than Red Head is why I went with Blue.
They were also vary easy to deal with and would not think twice of useing Blue again.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Dave.  I got Janey's approval so think I'll go ahead and order.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary,

You may remember that I installed a Redhead box in my 1984 Flareside and I was quite happy with it.

If you haven't done so already, it's a great time to up grade the steering shaft when changing out the steering box. The 1987-1991 steering shaft is a bit of an upgrade over the 1980-1986 shaft. It has a "dry" knuckle at the top, and a heavy bonded rubber joint at the bottom (where the Bullnose "rag joint" is). I guess simply put, it is a tighter and sturdier piece.

You could also do the Boregson shaft...and I'm sure they are wonderful, but they're expensive;).
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Cory.  Yes, I remember that.  And thought about a Redhead, one of which I have in Dad's truck.  But I'd really like my money to go to Blue Top to keep them in business if possible, so have started the order process with them.

By "started" I mean I ticked the boxes but then came to one about core charge and on it you can pick "Select core charge" or "Core charge $150".  That didn't make any sense to me as there's no option to the option, so I emailed them.  On Friday I'd emailed them and got responses w/in 5 minutes of each question, but this was on Saturday and they were obviously out and didn't answer.  So I'll wait until tomorrow and am sure I'll get a response.  But not to worry 'cause the boxes won't be in stock until Wednesday.

As for the lower shaft, I already have a Borgeson in there, courtesy of the previous owner.  But I am also ordering the lower steering column bearing as mine is a bit loose and I want to fix everything while in there.  And that created another problem with ordering.  I've put the bearing in my cart but see no way to put the box in my cart.  So I can't figure out how to check out ordering both things at the same time.

Tomorrow!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Heard back from Blue Top at 8:02 this morning regarding my questions on ordering.  (Boy, they are RESPONSIVE!)  The reason the dropdown on the core charge has only the one option is that they want you to know what the cost will be if you don't return one.

And the reason I can't put one in my cart is that they aren't available at the moment, but they hope to have them Wednesday - if they get some cores in.

So since I have a spare core I'm shipping it off to them today.  But as I pulled the pitman arm I realized that my SiL (TJ/tjmac) and I'll need the 1 5/16" socket and puller, so I've started a to-take tote for tools as he has a new Blue Top to install.  (We are headed to their place in December and he and I'll do some work on his 83.)

And I also looked at the tag on this box.  As you can see it says SPA DC.  Oddly enough the MPC says that is for a 1980, but I've never had an '80 in the shop nor parted one out.  I'm reasonably sure that one came off of Dad's truck and I am pretty sure it was original to the truck, so there's another issue with the MPC.  It isn't perfect.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary, it seems I read on here a month or so back that Blue Top was exiting the scene. I thought that was really sad news, as I was so impressed in the service that I got from them. I was so impressed that I posted up a thread here somewhere. Anyway, good to hear they are still out there.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, John, it is good news that they are still out there.  We need the competition for Redhead, and given the service others have gotten they may be the better of the two.  Which is one reason I wanted to buy from them.

They say they are going slowly but hanging in there.  But they don't have any of our boxes on the shelf and are waiting on cores.  So I sent them my spare box today and primed the pump.  

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Machspeed wrote
Gary, it seems I read on here a month or so back that Blue Top was exiting the scene. I thought that was really sad news, as I was so impressed in the service that I got from them. I was so impressed that I posted up a thread here somewhere. Anyway, good to hear they are still out there.
I also heard the same thing but about a week later it was posted they were hanging in there and will for as long as they could.

I was vary happy with my Blue Top box and would go with them again if I needed a box.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave - How about writing a review of them?  Blue Top Steering Gears

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just an update on the progress.

I sent the box to Blue Top on Monday afternoon with a Wednesday expected delivery.  In the interim I emailed with Blue Top asking how to get the lower steering column bearing as part of the order and they said that I should call when my box was delivered.

It was delivered to them yesterday, Wednesday.  But before I could call I got an email saying "I got the bearing in the shipping box for when we do get it done and packaged tomorrow morning."

And today I got the invoice by email, which I paid.  Then I got an email from Ryan at BT that said "It should ship out today but we got a blizzard last night and supposed to go all day here so not sure if we will get our UPS truck in."  Told him I understand and it won't be a problem.

So far the interactions with BT have been stellar!  Cannot wait to get the box installed as if it is half as good as everyone says, or half as good as their customer service, the steering will be awesome!

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Very nice feedback, Mr. Lewis!
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That's good to hear!

Kudos to Blue Top!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, Blue Top is absolutely on top of the list of vendors that communicate well.

As for the chance of my box getting out of there today, here's the latest on the storm:

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CDT /5 AM MDT/FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow. Additional snow accumulations between 6 and 10 inches.

* WHERE...Southwest and much of central North Dakota.

* WHEN...Until 6 AM CDT /5 AM MDT/ Friday.

* IMPACTS...Travel will be very difficult. The hazardous conditions will impact the morning and evening commutes.

And here's the area with Stanton, the home of Blue Top, circled:  

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Gary Lewis wrote
As for the lower shaft, I already have a Borgeson in there, courtesy of the previous owner.  But I am also ordering the lower steering column bearing as mine is a bit loose and I want to fix everything while in there.  And that created another problem with ordering.  I've put the bearing in my cart but see no way to put the box in my cart.  So I can't figure out how to check out ordering both things at the same time.
I purchased a similar billet bearing for mine. I had to drill out the screw holes on the column and stretch the plastic shaft bushing because the aftermarket bearing is wider. I don't know if that bushing is super necessary but I felt compelled to save it.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This is the bearing from DRB MACHINE AND FAB.  Their site says:

Bearing 80-91 Ford Trucks

Unlike others on eBay, this is not stamped steel held in with flimsy sheet metal screws.  It's machined from a block of aluminum.  It will never flex as it's a VERY tight fit.  IT'S MADE IN THE USA

This is a lower steering column bearing for the following trucks 80-91 Ford Trucks

BRAND NEW from DRB Machine and Fab. Aluminum housing and press - fit sealed bearing.

This will replace the most likely broken plastic bearing in your column now.  Helps restore smooth steering and eliminated a steering wheel vibration on your truck.  Includes stainless mounting hardware for a finished look.

And it is supposed to look like this when installed:

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Gary, do you think we can do a write up on tightening the steering in our trucks? I replaced my rag joint yesterday, and that helped noticeably, but I definitely want it as good as it can be. Pulling a 10,000lb trailer with loose steering doesn't sound very safe... Keep us updated on the Bluetop deal!
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll do my best to document it.  Will probably just post pics in this thread and then maybe consolidate later if needed.

And UPS shows to have picked up the box, even with a blizzard going on, and it is due here Tuesday.

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Ifitaintbroke wrote
Gary, do you think we can do a write up on tightening the steering in our trucks? I replaced my rag joint yesterday, and that helped noticeably, but I definitely want it as good as it can be. Pulling a 10,000lb trailer with loose steering doesn't sound very safe... Keep us updated on the Bluetop deal!
I fixed the notoriously bad steering on my Dodge pickup with the same strategy Gary is doing here ('cept I bought a Red Head). The Blue Top steering gear will probably make the biggest difference making steering more precise and eliminating dead zones. A solid bearing like the one Gary posted will enhance feedback in the steering wheel and get rid of death wobble, especially if the stock plastic housing is busted. Stock bearings themselves are tiny and unsealed, suspended in place with a flimsy rubber sleeve. Mine were both toast when I opened up the column on my Bronco. On the Dodge, the fix is leave the bad bearings in place and hammer in a chunky plastic donut at the bottom of the column...

Gary Lewis wrote
This is the bearing from DRB MACHINE AND FAB.  Their site says:

And it is supposed to look like this when installed:

I'm talking about the plastic bushing that fills in the gaps between the squared edges of the shaft and the inside of the bearing. I'd imagine it's probably missing or broken on most trucks. I put mine on the vise and used a torch and gravity to make it longer to fit the new bearing. It probably doesn't matter much, it's probably just a dust seal.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
Here's the start of the how-to.  Let's first remove the pitman arm:

Remove the nut: That takes a 1 5/16" socket and some means of driving it.  My 1/2" impact wouldn't fit between the front diff and the nut so I used a breakover.  Since the factory torque spec is 170 - 230 lb-ft you may need a cheater to break it loose.

Pull the arm: You'll need a pitman arm puller, as shown below.  Mine is a K-D 2289, and it takes a 3/4" socket to drive it.  My process is to tighten it up with a lot of force and then smack the sides and back of the pitman arm a couple of times.  Then tighten up again and smack it again.  Pretty soon it'll pop loose.

Secure drag link: If you are using the existing drag link, as I am, then secure it so it won't get damaged as you do further work around it.