classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bleeder Valves

Machspeed
Administrator
Hey friends, need to bleed the brakes on my truck and was looking at the valves last night and noted that they are incredibly rusted. Would anyone know what the thread pitch is on these?

Also thinking about going with speed bleeder valves. Anyone have any experience with these?  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bleeder Valves

mat in tn
i believe it is 3/8-24. not the 7/16-20 of the larger bleeders. i have not tried the speed bleeders as i use a catch can system.
Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
I used the speed bleeders on Rocky when I redid my brakes. My experience was mixed, and I'm not sure why. They were super helpful on the rear drums but I had trouble getting them to seal well on the front discs and it made a heck of a mess. At this time I still have the speed bleeders installed on the rears but I removed them and put the factory regular ones back on the fronts.

I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C5C6Z0 if that adds any detail.
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Thanks for the input, fellas! Struggling to find a correct size on my 86, as the truck is half metric. Guess I'll have to pull them to see.

As to the speed bleeders, thinking now I'll pass and go conventional. Bleeding with a Motive Bleeder.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Hey John,
Please, have mercy on the dummy mechanic I am, don't laugh

What is the difference between a bleeder and a speed bleeder?

Thanks!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
BigBrother-84 wrote
Hey John,
Please, have mercy on the dummy mechanic I am, don't laugh

What is the difference between a bleeder and a speed bleeder?

Thanks!
Brother, I think you're a lot smarter than you admit to here....LOL!

From what I gather, a speed bleeder valve will not allow air into the system, so you could bleed your brakes the traditional way without two people. Of course, with the traditional valve, you cannot do this and you need two people, one to pump the pedal and the other to open and close the valve. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong on this? I stayed with the conventional valve and decided not to go with the speed bleeder valve.  

Another use for the word "Speed Bleeder" is given to a tool which applies pressure at the master cylinder. Look up Motive Speed Bleeder on Youtube. I did this to my truck yesterday and I love it. One person job.

John

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, the speed bleeder has an internal spring loaded check ball.

I'd assume some are better made than others.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Doc, thanks a lot!

I like to feel smarter while getting older.

Then, I can spread my knowledge around the dining table, trying to look smarter, pointing to my family these fine differences between some specific mechanical items or tools.

You guess that, in fact, I'm talking alone, everyone here is yawning and bored about these exciting and trivial questions.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Machspeed wrote
Of course, with the traditional valve, you cannot do this and you need two people, one to pump the pedal and the other to open and close the valve. Someone correct me here if I'm wrong on this?
Well, yes and no.  With 5 psi of air pressure on the master cylinder one person can bleed the brakes by himself.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI