1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Black headlight bezel [passenger side]

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pretty!  Were those for an XLS?  The catalog just says "w/gloss black option".

And, thanks for posting that.  It helped 'cause I thought I'd check the ID # on the web site, and discovered that I didn't have the headlight doors nor the grilles on there.    But, now they've been added on the Grilles, Moulding, & Headlight Doors tab here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-trim-and-moulding.html.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
They were part of the XLS package and offered, I believe, for 1982 and 1983. The eBay listing is for 1984 - 1986 [wrong]. Sometime you find "goodies" by going outside the envelope.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, there's a question that I hope our resident XLS guru will answer, at least on his to-be XLS page.  The catalog shows those gloss black doors are for an 82-86 truck.  But, there is no mention of XLS in the 1981 or 1985 brochures I have, although it does show in the 1982 brochure I found on a handy web site, with the page shown below.  So, when we get this nailed I want to note that in the catalog, and therefore on the web page.

In a way it is a pity that the option wasn't available in 1985.  Can you image whomever optioned Big Blue with the order sheet?  I'll bet he'd have checked that box as he sure didn't miss many boxes.  Hmmm, perhaps I should create one?  1985 Lariat XLT Explorer XLS?   

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, the XLS trim was continued at least through 1984/1985 but it appeared on the compact rangers and Bronco II's instead of the full size trucks. I know this headlight door is correct for the XLS, but I don't know if any other trucks used it or if it continued to be a special order option? It seems like the black grille was available outside of the XLS package but I don't know about headlight doors.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The catalog shows the black grille was used through '86.  And, it also shows the upper and lower moulding was available in black from '82 on, meaning through '86, but 'w/"XLS" option'.  But, the 1985 catalog makes no mention of XLS, and I've OCR'd it so it would show up in my search if it were there.

So, we have the catalog suggesting that the XLS option went from '82 to '86, and saying the black grille and headlight doors were used through '86.  But, the brochures don't substantiate that.  I side with the brochures as they were short and therefore easier to get right.  And because I know of lots of errors in the catalog.

Now, having said all that, there's nothing to say a 1985 Lariat XLT Explorer couldn't have come with a black grille and headlight doors.  Maybe not a true XLS, but we have the catalog suggesting it could happen.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
That's what I'm wondering about the catalog Gary. None of the silver bezels or horn pads specify XLS either. I wonder if the black trim was a special order option using XLS service parts? What year range does the catalog give for the other black trim? Windshield trims, mirrors, door handles, door key bezels, bumpers?
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan - Man, what a tangled web Ford weaved!  

Here's what I think I've found regarding black trim:

Bumpers: I dunno 'cause Ford offered both low-gloss and high-gloss black bumpers in both step and non-step.  So, which did the XLS have?

Door Handles: Black handles are shown to be 82 & 83 only.

Windshield Trim: The catalog implies that black trim was available from 1980 thru '86.

Mirrors: What style of mirrors were used on XLS trucks?  Black was available in the little Type 5 from 1982 on, and in the Type 9 swing-lock from 1981 on.

As you prepare for your to-be XLS page, you'll need to sort through that info.  And you will probably need more.  So, don't hesitate to ask.  And you can think about if you want the catalog entries on your page itself, or if you want to link to them - which is easily done.