Black Window Sealant Goop

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Black Window Sealant Goop

Powerman5K
I am taking all the trim out of my interior for paint and the top rail and a frames are covered in the black tar like substance. Seriously, this stuff is the spit of Satan and sticks to EVERYTHING. As I'm typing its all over my fingers, phone, and anything else it touches. I've tried dish soap, degreaser, alcohol, and acetone. Nothing will remove it! Anyone know what this stuff is and more importantly, how to clean it up?
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Black Window Sealant Goop

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is the nastiest stuff I've ever experienced.  And I still don't know to get it off.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Have you tried paint thinner? I know that butyl rubber doesn't come off with alcohol or acetone but thinner works great.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
That's what my Dad recommended. I'll try that tomorrow. I'll keep you posted if it works.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Powerman5K
Try brake cleaner.
I had success, with something looking close to your pictures.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Another solid idea with the brake cleaner. I may yry gasoline or desiel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
As of this morning. Thinner seems to be the winner. I brush it on with a chip brush to soften it up. Then scrape with putty knife. Then use a cloth rag to get the remnants with more thinner. It's still not easy, but its manageable.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Cool! Now you got liquid goop running everywhere I imagine.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
It's a disaster. That stuff sticks to EVERYTHING. Made the mistake yesterday of scratching my "back side" 2 hours after cleaning up. That stain will be there forever.
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
In reply to this post by JimJam300
If it's butyl rubber based, heptane is what we used at Michelin to clean that stuff off.  The other thing that works surprisingly well are the round tub of swipes, you can get them at the auto parts store for cleaning hands.  We had tubs of them everywhere in the plant.