Biggest tire, 2WD rear, long bed

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Biggest tire, 2WD rear, long bed

jstone4646
As the title suggests, what is the largest tire you can cram in the rear end of a stock 2 wheel drive F150.  I am going to go mild performance street tire, not an A/T or M/T.  I am only concerned about the rear, front will be smaller.  I am going for that old school beefy looking rear end, I will end up using the same brand and model for the front but just stock size.  I have not decided on wheels yet, but they will be aftermarket....I am shooting for something similar to 70s era muscle car, 5 spoke design.  Something like this but looking to shove in the widest tire possible in the rear.

Project "Red" (not really named yet): '84 F150 4x2, Holley 4bbl 351 w/302 cam shaft and side exit pipes.  Still learning what else is there but in progress of putting her back together and on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Biggest tire, 2WD rear, long bed

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know the answer to that question.  And I think part of the answer depends on your rear suspension, meaning how much clearance you have.  I've run 33's on 4wd trucks, but they have a lift block that might make a difference.  However, I don't see why you couldn't add that lift block if you wanted to do so.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseHunter02
In reply to this post by jstone4646
Also, would check out the specs manual on your truck, Gary has wonderfully documented it. Are you looking for a tire that looks like the old ones, or a new tire? Radial or Bias Ply? Just some factors. Like.i said earler, might want to check the spec list and see what was origianlly offered to see what a good starting point is.
Hunting for a Bullnose, single cab, 8 foot bed, decent shape with little to no rust! and under 10k in near or around the STL Mo area, (Illinois is a valid option aswell!)
Reply | Threaded
|

FoxFord33
In reply to this post by jstone4646
Are you meaning tall or wide?

Those Cragar mags look like they are 15x8 wheels. Are your new wheels/tires going to be 15's as well? I like to use this thing: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
This will let you compare the sizes of different tires and also whether that size actually exists.
Ford Grand Wagoneer - 1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer preparing to receive a Ford drivetrain...

A Keeper - 1993 F-150 XLT Super-Cab 5.0 EFI 2WD E4OD 8.8" with 3.55 gear Sold it for my Grand Wagoneer project!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ohhh, I like that page, Steve!  So, there's a link to it on the Driveline/Calculators page now.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI