classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Big Blue’s Sugar Creek Loop Trip

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Today we drove to Hinton, OK to drive the Sugar Creek Loop, which is a 93 mile route on public roads. But, they aren’t your normal public roads as they have deep cuts in red sandstone, deep sand in some places, and several shallow streams to cross.

I have more pics and a video I’ll post when we get home, but here are some observations about the truck:

- The Sony radio is bonkers!  It forgets my iPhone almost every time I shut the truck off and I have to re-pair it. So I was wondering if maybe the keep-alive connection is bad. However, Janey used Google Maps to take us to the hotel and it played through the Sony - and her phone hasn’t been paired with it again in a year.

- The AFR meter is throwing E8 error codes again after we’ve been on the road for a while. But it will work again if I turn the key off and back on. Last time it did that I had to replaced the O2 sensor.

- The TrueTrac really got a workout. I didn’t put it in 4Lo nor lock in the hubs for the sand, but there were times that I put it in 2nd, throttled up to 2000, and just kept the rear end behind me.

And now for a couple of observations about the trail:

- The cuts make for very interesting views and drives. Some are so narrow that there is now way two vehicles could pass. And the sides are so steep no vehicle could climb them.

- Road 1170 had a closed sign and we found out why when we got to the end - there was a large sandstone outcropping across the road that has clearly been a barrier to many. There are lots of signs of attempts to climb it and signs that some didn’t make it. I put Big Blue in 4Lo, locked the hubs in, and putt putted up it without spinning a tire. Moab here we come!

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Big Blue’s Sugar Creek Loop Trip

Nothing Special
Gary Lewis wrote
....  Road 1170 had a closed sign and we found out why when we got to the end - there was a large sandstone outcropping across the road that has clearly been a barrier to many. There are lots of signs of attempts to climb it and signs that some didn’t make it. I put Big Blue in 4Lo, locked the hubs in, and putt putted up it without spinning a tire. Moab here we come!
Very cool!  And I'm glad you're starting to get some experience!
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins