classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Big Blue's Next Outing - Ouachita Mountains

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Janey and I've been talking about what our next trip is, and I think we have just decided - the Ouachita Mountains in southern Arkansas/eastern Oklahoma, probably in January.

Let me set the stage.  I have a Facebook friend, Susan Dragoo, that overlands with her husband Bill and writes about the adventures they have - and they get published in some big-name magazines.  Her most recent article is entitled The Ouachita Mountains and is in the Winter edition of Overland Journal.  She mentioned it on Facebook so I ordered the magazine and it came in today.  I've read it and I'm ready to go!  

She says this about the route:

This route traverses the Fourche and Kiamichi ranges of the Ouachita Mountains east to west for 225 miles, beginning near Perryville, Arkansas, and ending near Talihina, Oklahoma.  Top up gas tanks at Perryville, as there is no fuel until Mena, about 165 mostly off-pavement miles to the west.  Although the roads are easy-to-moderate dirt and gravel for most of the distance, some ascents become steep, rocky, rutted, and narrow.  On the western end the K-Trail, in particular, offers a challenge.

I've downloaded the route and uploaded it into Gaia, the mapping app I use, and have broken it up into three days:

Day 1: We'll leave home and drive on the highway for ~4 hours, and then air down and start the trail near Perryvale.  And 41 miles later we'll be at AR 7 north of Hot Springs Village, so we'll air back up and head into town for the night - in a hotel or B&B.  And, we'll have dinner and gas up.  (Overlanding in style.  )

Day 2: Picking up where we left off on AR 7, we'll air down and head west.  And 111 miles later we'll be in Mena, AR for the night.

Day 3: From Mena we'll pick up Skyline Drive for a ways, which we've done before, and then air down and head south.  And that will take us to the Kiamichi Trail, and ultimately the end of the trip Susan mapped out, which is 41 miles long.  However, the K-Trail goes on to Clayton, OK, but there appears to be some "discussion" about what part of that is legal for vehicles to take, so I'll have to figure that out.  Anyway, from there we'll probable air up and head home, which is another 3-hour drive on major highways.

These plans are quite preliminary, but we've already said we want to do it, so it is just down to figuring out the details and the times.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Big Blue's Next Outing - Ouachita Mountains

Lima Delta
Sounds fun!
I just bought a 1992 Jeep XJ and thoughts of turning it into a modest overlanding rig have been going through my mind...
Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Will need some picts of Big Blue (and her passsengers, maybe ) in these wild spaces!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Lima Delta
Overlanding appears to be a nebulous term. Many of the "overlanding" magazines I pick up have adverts for all sorts of stuff for Jeeps.  But when I read the articles in those mags most of the vehicles people are using are larger, like pickups, vans, or Toyota 4Runners.  And then I realize why - the people writing the articles are frequently going for longer trips where they need to carry more then a Jeep is rated to carry.

So I think there are many different definitions of the term "overlanding".  I had originally set out to build Big Blue into something that can do the type of adventure where you take everything with you and go into the back of beyond for several days.  Food, water, gas, electricity, shelter, and even a toilet - I have a chemical toilet I planned to take along.

And while he's basically "there", although I've not purchased the tent, what I'm using him for is more along the lines of going off the beaten path but spending the nights in a hotel.  He's overkill for that, but I'm hoping that proving Big Blue's capabilities will entice someone to say "Let's go overlanding" and we'll take off for an extended trip.

I say all of that to say that a Jeep can certainly be a "modest overlander" - depending on your definition.  It can't carry what an '85 regular cab F250 can carry, but it can go places the truck can't - or can't without modification.  So you have to think through what "overlanding" means to you.  If it means throwing some clothes into the vehicle and going off the beaten path for a few hours, then the Jeep can do it - but so can the F250.  However, if it means spending a week out in the boondocks before coming back to civilization, then the Jeep might come up short.

Bottom Line: Start with the end in mind.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
BigBrother-84 wrote
Will need some picts of Big Blue (and her passsengers, maybe ) in these wild spaces!
Will do!  But, being as you are new you may have missed the last big trip for Big Blue - Gary's Trip To Ouray.  I'm guessing that the Ouachitas won't be quite as "wild" as the Rockies, but they will certainly be off the beaten track.

Reply | Threaded
|

Lima Delta
Yes, the definition of overlanding seems to have a lot of different shades of meaning to it...

I have an old friend who I always think of as being at the more extreme end of the overlanding sport. Many years ago he started with a Westfalia van, then upgraded when he bought himself a surplus 5 ton, four wheel drive dump truck which had been used (lightly) as a city plow truck on the west coast (where it hardly snows). He removed the dump box and built a camper-style cabin out of reinforced composite panels. The roof was electrically actuated so that it could be raised for head-room, or lowered for travel. Off road tires, solar power, multiple batteries, compressed air system, etc. (see pic below).
Pre-covid he and his wife would spend half the year driving between southern BC and various off-the-map destinations in Mexico. It's a real lifestyle for them.

Myself, on the other hand, I would consider upgrading the suspension and axles on the XJ so that I could load it up, maybe tow a small trailer, and just go back-roads camping with my wife and the dogs for a week at a time. I like to go minimalist lol

Lucas
"The truck" - 1985 regular cab F250 4x4 - 351W HO, C6
"Beige Beast" (project) - 1981 regular cab F250 4x4 - 300 straight six, T18
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  That is quite the OVERLANDING vehicle!  Your friend is obviously talented, and I'd agree he is on the more extreme end of the "sport".

But your idea of overlanding comes closer to mine.  The XJ will take you about any place you'd want to go with little modification, and by pulling a small trailer you can set up camp and explore from there.  The marketplace for small trailers has exploded, and there are lots of them that look to have plenty of capability for a couple of people and yet don't weigh much.

That way you don't have to put a lot of money into the Jeep and it isn't so highly modified that you can't use it for other activities.  Plus, the trailer can be sold and you can upgrade, or even get out of the sport altogether, if you choose.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Thanks Gary for the link!  This trip to Ouray was really awsome!

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We REALLY had fun.  And Big Blue did everything we tackled, with aplomb.  It made the many, many months of working on it worth it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
To me, "overlanding" requires being longer than about 2 weeks away from civilization.  Anything shorter than that is camping.  But I'm not the one who makes the definitions.  People now talk about going overlanding for the weekend.

But the bottom line is do what you enjoy and don't get too bent out of shape over what it's called.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nothing Special wrote
But the bottom line is do what you enjoy and don't get too bent out of shape over what it's called.
Amen!

To me, overlanding includes going somewhere and camping while doing it.  Taking the Jeep roads around Ouray is 'wheeling.  But taking a trail, like the Ouachita trail, and spending the night on the trail is overlanding.  Doesn't have to be for very many days or nights.

That's my daffynition and I'm sticking to it.  That's 'cause if I ever get my son to go "overlanding" with me it'll only be for a few days before he has to get back to his work.  And I want to "overland".  

But I don't know what taking a trail and stopping at a motel or B&B is.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
What kind of fuel mileage did Big Blue get on your last venture? Seems I recall you saying 3-4 mpg's. You take fuel cans with you? On that bumper you're building, might consider adding a spot for a metal fuel can??? Ohhhhh no, a redesign in plans........   
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We got ~4 MPG on the trail and 11 on the highway.

Part of the 4 was due to airing down as that causes a LOT of friction.  In fact, the truck doesn't really want to roll at 15 psi in the tires.  And part of it was due to the serious climbing we were doing in low range and low gears.  Plus, there was the altitude of from 7,000 to 13,000 feet that enriched the mix and reduced power.

We might not air down to 15 psi in Arkansas.  We will have to see how rough the trail is to determine that.  And if we don't that'll help the MPG some.  Plus, I'm thinking we can do most of the trip in 4Hi, which will keep the R's down, and that'll help as well.  And, the altitude will be a max of 3,000'.

So, let's assume 6 MPG.  At 38 gallons that would be 228 miles.  But even if we only got 4 MPG we could make 152 miles, so that would be enough for the big day.  However, I may well take a 5 gallon gas can along just for insurance.

But that can will fit very nicely in the bed with the cover closed, so no need for redesigning the bumper that is, yet again, well and truly stalled.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Ohhhhh come on Gary, I can see one of those military style fuel tanks on the back of your truck....that would look sooooo cool and you'd possibly be the starter for generations of Bullnose Trucks. People would love it and you could sell it here. That and my behind the seat organizer....LOL! Besides, you need another project to keep you from working on Dad's Truck, the Super Bee, and the...........
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You've done quite preaching and started meddling!  

Speaking of which, it is time to get ready for church.  Later, gator.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I was in between my Sunday School lesson and viewing the forum, when I put that together.... 
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Gary Lewis wrote
....  But I don't know what taking a trail and stopping at a motel or B&B is.  
Trail riding?  Exploring?  Or you can still call it 'wheeling.

Early on I did 3 'wheeling/trail riding/exploring trips where we carried everything with us all the time and stayed where we were at the end of the day.  The first two were great, but the third, with a wife and a 2 year old, not quite so much (although the one night we stayed at a nice resort, last minute, saved that trip, which isn't a bad story either).  The next trip we took we tent-camped at a campground and just went out 'wheeling/trail riding/exploring from there.  Trip after that was a camper in the back of the pickup at a campground as base camp, and a few years back we moved up to a motorhome.  But our constant for over 25 years has been a campground base and day trips out from there.

So you won't get any complaints from me if you stay at nice places between days exploring a different kind of nice places.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My Facebook friend and author, Susan Dragoo, recommended a B&B in Mena, so we'll stay there if it is available.  And Hot Springs Village appears to have some nice places.  So I can't say we'll even be "glamping", much less camping.

But, we've done some of that.  Camped out of our boat on Lake Powell with the kids.  Had a slide-in camper on our '72 F250 and made it to California, Wyoming, and lots of places in between.  And on several of those trips we pulled a trailer with our bikes on it.  One time we had the 750 K2 and rode all over Arizona.  Another time we had my XL350 and her Trail 90 and rode all over CO around Buena Vista.

However we've not done tent camping.  The closest we came was on Powell when we set up a tent on shore.  But we slept on the boat and really just used the tent to house the stuff we didn't want to take with us each day as we explored.  And, to mark out campsite.

But we called all of that "camping", probably because there was meal planning, food cooking, and dish washing involved.  But what we are doing today only has us planning meals to the extent that we might have to pack a lunch.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I reject the term "glamping" for what we do.  Yes, we're in a motorhome and have a nice bed, our own bathroom, a furnace and AC.  But we don't live in the motorhome, we live out of it.  Contrast that with some friends that have a fifth wheel with a gas fireplace, a TV bigger than the one in out house and a couple of big squashy recliners.  They go somewhere and really never plan to get out of the camper.  They call that "glamping" which seems fitting.  But that's not us.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Why go if you don't get out?  You might as well just watch it on TV.

Our slide-in was 9 1/2' long and had a toilet, shower, hot water, and furnace.  No A/C but we rarely went anywhere in the summer, instead waiting until after school started and it cooled off.  But the plan wasn't to sit in the camper and read books.  It was to experience wherever we were.