Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Big Blue's Bucket Seats

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Is this what you are talking about?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Yes, I think the color is great.  I'm very happy with it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yeah, something like that.
They have them stamped too.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks.  That might work.

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Wow the seats look great !! Are you going to paint the brackets underneath factory matte black ?
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!

I am going to paint the platform black, although I'm not sure it'll be "matte black".  My usual approach is to use POR-15 and while it is tacky coat it with the top coat.  That lets the top coat bond with the POR and protects the POR from UV, which turns it white.

I don't know if you've seen how I made it, but you can read about it here: Big Blue's Seat Platform.  Pretty simple really, just an angle iron piece and bench seat legs.

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Thatโ€™s a great reference for anyone that wants a bucket seat in a single cab, itโ€™s all about timing. I would have totally done that on my truck but I bought bench seat covers and got invested in that.

By matte black I mean the non-gloss finish on factory brackets/hardware. Here is a pic on a red set I have that shows the bracket underneath. I just think non-gloss would draw less attention to the brackets and more to the vinyl.

Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it'll not be gloss.  But I'm not sure exactly which level of gloss I'll use as I have some paint that I'll use if there's enough of it.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
WAY back in the day our best match to Ford's satin black was Krylon semi-matte black.
But no one's seen that since '93.

For interior I kinda like the Rustoleum Painters Touch satin black, but it's not quite as flat as the '70's Ford flat if you're looking for concour points.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Me?  Concour points?  They start with each vehicle at 100 and then take away for non-stock parts.  My guess is Big Blue's score would be -100.  

Seriously though, I just want a paint that "disappears" in the overall scheme.  So flat is out as it wasn't used and would look odd.  Obviously high-gloss is out, both because it wasn't used for these kinds of things as well as it points out all the flaws, and there are plenty.  So a satin or matte is about right as I don't remember seeing eggshell in exterior paints.

I know this is for interior house paints, but Kilz says these are the finishes, in order of decreasing sheen:

โ€ข High Gloss: A highly reflective, glass-like finish thatโ€™s most durable and easiest to clean.

โ€ข Semi-Gloss: A sleek and luminous finish that is mildew, moisture, and wear resistant.

โ€ข Satin: A pearl-like finish thatโ€™s easy to clean and has moderate durability.

โ€ข Eggshell: A soft, velvety finish that covers imperfections while offering some durability.

โ€ข Matte: A low-luster finish thatโ€™s less durable, but easy to clean, touches up well, and hides minor surface imperfections.

โ€ข Flat: A non-reflective finish that touches up well and can hide minor surface imperfections.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
From someone who knows colour, chroma and sheen, believe me, any chart like that can get nailed to the back of the outhouse door.

No two manufacturers are the same.
No two lines of paint by the same manufacturer are the same.
And definitely no two different products (interior v/ exterior, waterborne v/ solvent v/ modified emulsion

Just choose something you like and go with it
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Just choose something you like and go with it
That's the plan.  Not sure I even have the POR-15.  So I'll need to check out what I have and get what's needed.  Then I'll have to scuff the goody out of that platform to get the old paint off and give the POR something to hold onto.  Lotsa work.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I finally tried that stuff,and honestly I'm not too impressed.
In it's intended use case (consolidating dry light rust), with a single coat, under a couple of opaque top coats.....

Yeah, it's serviceable and works well enough.
It is definitely not easy to apply by brush, or clean up, dries super slow, and you can't really spray it without contaminating EVERYTHING
It also doesn't seem to offer a whole lot better performance than other products that are for painting rusty metal.

As a "regular" primer or undercoat, it falls short IMHO
But that's MY opinion. I'm definitely not trying to tell anyone else not to use it.

edit, for clarity
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I haven't seen one of those since I retired. I actually have an award for what is called an "opportunity for improvement" or OFI in conjunction with the General Foreman of NNS X36 (riggers) department.

His idea was to use them with a welded on J shaped tube as hangers for temporary air and power on board ships either under construction or repair. Previous method welded the J piece to the structure and after use cut off, weld ground down and repainted.

The new design is reusable and only needs the clamp screw loosened.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
"opportunity for improvement" meant an ENTIRELY different thing to us... ๐Ÿ˜„

(You screwed up!  NOW FIX IT!)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Back in the day, we would use self etching zinc chromate on rust, but that stuff's not ONLY cancerous in CA...

Today there is zinc phosphate, and while it doesn't have quite all the anti corrosion of chrome, it isn't fatal either.

Just remember the 7 P's

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The Conoco joke is that a guy from a pumping station on a pipeline called in and said "Boss, we have a problem."  The boss said "There are no problems, there are just opportunities for improvement.  Please use that terminology when you call me"  To which the pumper said "Boss, we have a major opportunity for improvement.  The pipe split and we are pumping lube all over the place!"

So "opportunity for improvement" is Conoco-speak for "We have a PROBLEM!"

As for the 7 P's, are they "preparation, preparation, preparation, preparation, preparation, preparation, & preparation"?

And a spray primer would sure make it easier.  So that stuff sticks well?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Um..... not quite!  

Self etching primers are acid catalysed and actually burn their way into the metal's surface.

Yeah, they tend to 'stick well'
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I get the picture. So maybe we donโ€™t need the picture?  ๐Ÿ˜ณ

12345 ... 9