Best source for body panels

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best source for body panels

delco1946
Hi all, a tree fell on my truck this morning. I see nos panels on eBay, but is there an another source for good quality panels that y’all can recommend? Thx
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Best source for body panels

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim/ArdWrknTrk put me onto Tabco several years ago and I ordered them.  My paint/body man said they are the best he's used.

They make them right here in the US and are easy to talk to, very helpful.  I highly recommend them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by delco1946
Sorry to see about your truck and the tree.  Bummer!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Dang! You guys are getting hammered  up there! I’m assuming ice.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Thanks for the tip. Yea, ice on everything. We don’t have power either, so just Realized I’ll have to cut the dang thing up by hand too.

This tree ( neighbors tree) and I have had it out for each other for years. Bird poop, acorns etc dropping on all my cars.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I purchased my panels from NPD and was pleased with them. I'm certain they were Taiwan made though. If I were doing it again, I'd probably go with the outfit mentioned above as they are reportedly made in the US.

In regards to your neighbors tree, that is a battle that I fought a few years ago and one that I had to pay the deductible using my own insurance on. One would think that the neighbor's insurance would pay for it but that is not the way that works. Was not happy in that.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I also used Tabco and was vary pleased on the panels and the service. They called me to say some of my panels over lapped by a lot and did not need some.

You did not say what panels you need?
If you are looking for full panels, hood, fender, door, then I don't think Tabco has them so it would be LMC or maybe NPD id there others?
Sometimes you have to go with what you can get.

Machspeed wrote
I purchased my panels from NPD and was pleased with them. I'm certain they were Taiwan made though. If I were doing it again, I'd probably go with the outfit mentioned above as they are reportedly made in the US.

In regards to your neighbors tree, that is a battle that I fought a few years ago and one that I had to pay the deductible using my own insurance on. One would think that the neighbor's insurance would pay for it but that is not the way that works. Was not happy in that.

Yep an "act of god" they call it.
I had a tree fall on a fence next door and just miss his garage.
Insurance would not cover any of it, fence or to have the tree removed.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
I’d need full panels I think. The hood is trash, both fenders, cowl and the cab roof is badly damaged. This has been a very bad day :(
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Is it possible to buy entire cabs from somewhere?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sorry for your loss, Christopher.

Once the window opening has been distorted its tough to fix right and never worth the cost of repair (from the side of a body shop or insurance company)

Cab swap looks a lot better in that light.

"Cabs" new????
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm sure you can find a rust free cab from the dry side, but keep in mind documenting the VIN when you do swap.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I see Dennis Carpenter (RIP) has NOS hoods.
I guess you can't get better than factory overstock.

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/body/hood/e4tz-16612-b-tkcf75-hood-1980-86-f100-350
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
You're in Portland - PickNPull has lots of bullnoses between their Portland and Sherwood yards. Most of them are pretty rust free, too.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Thanks for all the replys. The picknpull has been great over the years but without a truck to get larger body panels i'm not sure how that's going to work out.

I will talk with the body shop ASAP, but I think ill buy the Dennis Carpenter NOS/OEM hood. I see they also have the right NOS/OEM fender. Haven't found a left NOS/OEM fender yet, but the shop could probably fix the small dent easily. I can't seem to find a cab roof pice of sheet metal for our trucks (they seem to exist for most other models thought ).

I'm trying to be positive and just think of this as a way to get a 1/4 "new" truck, especially after it gets painted, and i'll probably fix the drip rails too now.
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946

The tires and wheels are literally one week old.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
OUCH!  That's awful!  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Man, that’s too bad!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Dan Crowley
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Christopher,  I am so sorry about your truck, it looks to be a nice one.  When I did my truck over I got my panels from Tabco and was very pleased with them.  When Dan on the show FantomWorks put a replacement body on 55/56 Chevy he cut the vin tag out of the old body and welded in the new body so as to keep title the same.  That might be something you could do if you decide to use another cab.  Dan
Dan Crowley
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The dent in the left fender doesn't look too bad to ding out.
Might have to shrink it a bit where it stretched at the creases.

Yes, I was saying if you go the whole cab route be sure to document swapping the VIN so there are no questions or legal issues down the line.
I'm pretty sure legit body shops can get new reproduction door jamb stickers if they send a picture of the old one too.
 Jim,