Best degreaser??

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best degreaser??

essmaker
In the frame, especially around the trans and xfer case, I have decades of buildup of grease and grime.

Anyone have a tried and true degreaser product? I have tried a couple in the past and have never been impressed with the results.

I would use it in conjunction with a pressure washer or whatever is recommended.
Erik

1985 F150 4x4 - 351W, C6 - work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Best degreaser??

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've used Simple Green with good success, but not in a pressure washer.  Just my heated parts washer.

Others have used Purple Power and I've heard it works pretty well in a power washer.  However, some of the cleaners shouldn't be left standing on some types of aluminum, so while I don't know about the transfer case you might want to wash it off with water when you are done.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
The Youtube channel "Project farm" did a decent review of such things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHISaDS1wb0
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I'm constantly looking for a better degreaser. I really wish I could give a good recommendation. simple green is as good as I have found. but you may very well do the best job by wetting everything and the area and then blast with the washer. being mindful not to pressure wash directly at any seal. doing this to get the bulk knocked off then let dry and soak with degreaser. let stand as long as possible but not letting it dry then pressure wash again. the reason I say wet the area is to make it harder for blasted splatter to stick. laying under the side of a truck trying to get everything is a sure way to make a wet mess of yourself too. be ready!
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I've heard super clean is good (Project Farm confirmed), but I don't know if it's pressure washer compatible, and certainly is one of the ones that eats aluminum if left too long.

I've personally used the Walmart Supertech degreaser that comes in spray cans and then rinsed with the pressure washer. Works well enough for my needs.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by essmaker
Steam Jenny...
Done!

You should watch this guy in Indiana struggle with his STUPOR DOODIE. (F-450)

😂 I can relate!  (but I can't do imbeds)

https://youtu.be/trk6vCVPzyY?si=l4rsU13fSOqo2zdM
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Steam Jenny...
Done!

You should watch this guy in Indiana struggle with his STUPOR DOODIE. (F-450)

😂 I can relate!  (but I can't do imbeds)

https://youtu.be/trk6vCVPzyY?si=l4rsU13fSOqo2zdM
Jenny would be the way to go but I lost mine many years ago

Man did he do everything the hard way.
A power washer is cheap and can be used on a lot of stuff as does a gas power air compressor and cheap spray gun for paint.
Remember I did everything he was doing so I know how to get it done and not bust your azz.

I found you need to scrape off the heavy grease & dirt. Putty knife, old butter knife screw driver all work good to get the first wave of dirt off.

If the stuff is really baked on and not worried about paint or turning ALUM. dark oven cleaner works pretty good.
I have also used Zep Purple de-greaser in my parts washer. It will take paint off parts and think turn ALUM. dark but been a while since I used it.
It will also do a number on your skin so wear long rubber gloves as you should with any of the de-greasers. I guess you could cut it, I did not.

I have mixed Simple Green and Awsome degreaser (dollar store) in a pump sprayer and sprayed it on everything keeping it wet. Can use stiff brushes to work the degreaser into areas and loosen it up.

I then use a gas powered power washer to rinse everything off.
If I have to I re-spray with the pump sprayer and let it soak in even more and rinse with the power washer.

BTW I do not use anything in the power washer, it is just water to rinse off what I have degreaser on.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Diesel in a little pump sprayer.
Scrub it in with a dollar store toilet brush

I have my ways.... 😉

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Do you know Hot Lap tire dressing? (from the discussion about Life Savers)

You can use Swab concrete cleaner (from Gunk) to get greasy things like frames spotless!
Without any petroleum hitting the dirt.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Do you know Hot Lap tire dressing? (from the discussion about Life Savers)

You can use Swab concrete cleaner (from Gunk) to get greasy things like frames spotless!
Without any petroleum hitting the dirt.

I have heard of the dressing but never used it.
When I was part of a street stock pit crew racing at Waterford Speedway I dont think they even used it.
If they did it was kept from me and the rest of the crew and we had 2 cars so I would think someone would have slipped at some point LOL

Is the Gunk a powder? You wet the floor, spread the powder and scrub it in and rinse it off?
If so I have used that before, school or buddies shop?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yep, it's a powder that will clean oil right out of concrete.

To use this way, wet the chassis, sprinkle a little on and scrub with whatever kind of brush.
Then rinse....
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

essmaker
Many thanks for all the feedback.

I should have been clearer that I didn't plan to necessarily use the product in the pressure washer, but use the washer to help blast away.

I might turn this into a bit of a test myself. Use one product on one side of the frame and then a different one on the other side.

Now all I need is some decent weather to get at it.
Erik

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
We used to call it Tang because of it's colour and texture before it dissolved.  

Also in the handy baby powder bottle size for $7. 😉
https://www.myautovaluestore.com/gunk/swab-powdered-concrete-cleaner-gun-sw2
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
For grease and grime, my go-to is Brake Cleaner...the stuff with a strong spray, and I think mostly these days non-chlorinated. Buy the cheaper stuff when it's on sale. Around here, that's about $5/can these days. Used to get it for around $2.99 pre-Covid. For regular cleaner/degreaser, my go to is Spray-9, but it's a bit expensive. I have tried Simple Green, or something "green" from Home Depot and didn't like it personally, but I may have used it wrong.

If I had a whole bunch of degreasing to do, I think I'd use what Jim suggested...diesel. It works the very best if you can deal with the mess/smell/disposal/etc.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Good morning from CT Cory!  

We're talking about a frame and TC here, so no small job!
Even by the case, brake clean is $.
I just went through 4 cans.....on a chainsaw!  ðŸ¤¯
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Good morning from CT Cory!  

We're talking about a frame and TC here, so no small job!
Even by the case, brake clean is $.
I just went through 4 cans.....on a chainsaw!  ðŸ¤¯
Ha! Well then, I messed up...I thought we were talking about cleaning up a transfer case or something. Doh.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
essmaker wrote
In the frame, especially around the trans and xfer case, I have decades of buildup of grease and grime.

Anyone have a tried and true degreaser product?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

essmaker
It is supposed to be a great weather weekend coming up.

I plan to soak one side of the frame with Simple Green industrial cleaner/degreaser and the other with diesel. I'll let them soak in for a while and then use the pressure washer.

Let y'all know how it goes. Thanks for all the input.
Erik