classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Best Shock For The Money

Machspeed
Administrator
I need new shocks. The 30 yo Rancho's I have are wore out. Not looking to put the most expensive shock on it, but best shock for the money. Recommendations please?
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Best Shock For The Money

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I put Monroes on Dad's truck and really liked them.  They were self-adjusting, but Monroe-matics don't sound right and that's what they now list.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Was it Sensa-trac, Gary?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
1986F150Six wrote
Was it Sensa-trac, Gary?
YES!  That's exactly what they are.  They really worked.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Machspeed
I have Monroe gas magnums on my Bronco and Suburban. I like them.

Will more than likely get some for the truck, soon I hope.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I have Monroe gas magnums on Darth, originally fronts were Monroe and rears were Sears made by Monroe as no one had the Monroes in stock. When they wore out Sears could no longer supply them so after going round and round over 3 days, they called Advance and had them send over the correct replacements. The DRW ones are now different form the SRW version. (shameless plug, part of my pension comes from them, left over from the Tenneco days at NNS).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
I am using the KYB shocks on my truck, the Excel G ones and am well pleased with them.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I really like the Gabriel Ultras I bought recently.  Good cross between quality and cost.  Less than $30 each.  Improved stock performance.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Frank Wyatt
My Chrysler K-car convertible has KYBs on it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747

Frank Wyatt wrote
I am using the KYB shocks on my truck, the Excel G ones and am well pleased with them.
Ditto. That's what I'm running... No complaints.  

The front of my 1995 Ranger has sesantracs on it... They're OK but nothing special. Bushings dry rotted very quickly... They were rockauto closeouts though. The Gabriel pro guards on the back are decent. If they ever blow up I'll put excel-G's on it and call it a day.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Ive always ran the Gabriels on my truck.  they work great, and Ive never had one really wear out.  I replace them for free through autozone through their life time replacement when the bushings finally get hammered out in about 8 or 9 years.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I replaced my Monroe Magnums with KYB GasAjust a year or so back.

I m happy with them. They are much more compliant and the truck still doesn't wallow.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
KYBs on my Bronco. When I put them on it was a huge improvement. Keep meaning to get some for the f150 too.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Does anyone have experience with Bilstein?
How do they compare to KYB?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have Bilsteins on Big Blue, but I've not had KYB's so cannot compare them.  The Bilsteins are fine and seem to work well.

We had an incident on the GOAT where we hit a "jump" at 30 and while we didn't go airborne we certainly took most if not all of the travel out of the suspension.  And when we came down it was gentle.  I expected to hit hard, but we didn't.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Interesting read on top rated shocks: https://toolingfun.com/bilstein-vs-kyb-shocks-different-monomax-5100/
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Frank Wyatt wrote
I just installed a set of these on my ‘84 a couple hours ago and I love them! I removed a set of Monroe Gas Magnums that I didn’t think were worn out, but the roads are rough around here and I wanted to try something different. Really happy with the KYB’s! Much smoother ride, but still no wallowing or anything. Just my 2 cents.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - You asked what shocks I have on Big Blue.  Here's what I know:

As Acquired: Installed by Vernon, they were B46-1615 in front and B46-1618 in the rear.  Looking at his receipts he bought two of each from Allshocks.com and they were a total of $267.80.  The fronts are marked 24-016155 and the rears are 24-016186.

Fronts Now: When I installed the D60 with Superduty springs I needed longer ones, so bought Bilstein 6248's from Sky Offroad for $190/pair.

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
I had very good luck with RockAuto's "warehouse closeout" shocks on a Bullnose, a Bricky, and a Gen1 SuperDuty, all diesels.  Incredible price, shocks work great. Some came in NAPA boxes.

But I tried the same deal on a 99 gasser E350 and the shocks are way too soft.  Next time I'll look for the best deal on a known brand.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
Ive had Kyb gas ajusts, for a truck I think they perform better and last longer than excelGs.

Bilstein 4600s are a good shock. Theyre the blue and yellow. They are a little rough on road but if you do a mix of on and off road, they are a good compromise. They will last longer with harder wear than KYB. But if you are strictly onroad, I see little need for Bils.

Bilstein 5100, silvers, are a good off road shock. I know people who run them on road and I dont see why. Its kind of like mud tires on a mall crawler. I wouldnt really mention them in a thread about best bang for the buck except to say you dont need to feel like youre missing out. Ive got these on my truck because I hauled water om bad roads. They actually did soak up the TTB front end really well. The rear is another matter. When the axle drops, I bounce out of the driver seat.

Ive worn out every shock Ive mentioned. At the end of the day, all off the shelf shocks have a lifespan. How long they last depends on what kind of driving you do. The only reason Id buy premium shocks is if youre expecting to cycle the suspension rapidly, as in doing washboard roads. This kills shocks the fastest, due to the build up of heat. If you find yourself wearing shocks fastrr than you feel like replacing them, places like 4wheelparts offer a lifetime replacement for 15$ per shock.

And Im cheap too. I always buy the cheapest shock and push it til Its almost dead.
Id go with either KyB gasajust or Bilstein 4600s.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems