Belden FSS manual conversion for 6.9 IDI

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Belden FSS manual conversion for 6.9 IDI

RenoHuskerDu
Howdy.  Some months ago I started a thread on the FSS (fuel shutoff solenoid) for a 1986 420cid (6.9 litre) diesel, and wondered if that FSS could be converted to manual.  One of y'all posted this pic and mentioned that Belden sells that as a kit, iirc.  So far I can't find that Belden reference.

Was that info from one of you? It may have been on FTE also, back before I stopped posting there.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Belden FSS manual conversion for 6.9 IDI

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think it was here.  I just searched the forum for "fuel" and "Belden" and the only hit was this thread.  Sorry.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
As far as working, it's a Roosamaster pump, same as GM used on their 5.7, 6.2 and 6.5L Diesels and the solenoid pulls in to allow the pump to deliver fuel. Pushing the rod in would be the "run" position from that illustration. I used to have a Roosamaster service manual, but have no idea if it survived emptying my house in Newport News VA.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
If you find the information please post it here as I am interested in this also. Cory Haberkamp and myself have been discussing this. He says there are 8 cylinder diesel Massey Ferguson  and IH tractors that may have mechanical shut-off Roosemaster pumps, but nothing confirmed. If there is an aftermarket kit we would be quite interested!
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The information I found yesterday looking for any sort of manual all showed pumps without the solenoid so they would have a mechanical shutoff. Gary says we can't email through the site now, but I will give it a try and if it works will send you what I found. Maybe you can come up with a manual shutoff for one.

All my Roosamaster experience was one Ford 6.9L and one 7.3L and a number of GM 5.7L with a 6.2L turbo and a 6.2 and 6.5L non-turbo models.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - I think the email through the system works, but you can no longer post by email.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Correct me if I’m wrong Gary, but I believe the forum function change only affected your ability to reply to a post directly from the email notification when subscribed to a topic. I think all other email functions are still intact? I appreciate you looking to see if you find anything useful that could be adapted to our engines 🙂

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are correct, Jonathan.  Only the ability to reply to a post via email has been removed.  The ability to send email through the system is still there, as I just proved by sending you an email and copying myself.  I've gotten it so assume you have as well.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yes it does, but I can't attach files to an email through the system. I can send you what I found, but still haven't found the style pump for the electric shut-off.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thank you Bill. I sent you an e-mail with my direct g-mail address. You may have it already but in case not… if we come up with something that works I’ll write something up and have Gary document it 🙂

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Thank you for those docs. The fact that the FSS heats up if no fuel flowing thru it is quite the design flaw, eh?  My son is planning too incorporate a small bleeder valve in the circuit to return fuel back and cool that FSS, which is up near $70 now.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I too had searched but was unsure of my searching prowess here.

Thanks for clarifying.

It was in fact on FTE and the thread got bogged down quickly with a bunch of banter. But I finally found it.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
As long as the engine's running there is a steady bleed off at the return elbow. If you leave the key on with the engine not running that would be when you have a problem. If it is a concern, use a NO oil pressure switch (Chrysler had one for the choke on the carbureted 1.7 and 2.2L engines) to feed the FSS, it will also be a safety shutdown if you lose oil pressure. Use the "I" terminal on a Ford starter relay to bypass it when cranking so you will have fuel immediately.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
That is an excellent tip. Kinda like a poor man's 7.3 HPOP setup.