Bedliner suggestions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bedliner suggestions

ratdude747
As a final item of truck show prep, I'm thinking bedliner'ing my nasty bed covered in pits and surface rust. It's pretty bashed up from the POs so this bed isn't something I'm worried about devaluing.

Per a recent project farm video, I'm thinking either EGC or Raptor liner is the way to go (No money for Rhino or LineX):

... but I'm open to suggestions too. I still have quite a bit of rust/sand cake to remove so I may need to get it media blasted or something (or wire wheel it with the grinder really well?)

Due to the rust I'm not feeling a drop-in liner... although if somebody happens to have an 8ft one sitting (and is local, going to the truck show, or is between here and there), I'd condsider it as a temporary fix if nothing else.

Otherwise, the things the truck needs (that I haven't already nuked) are expensive and/or a pain (body work, dash pad, floor vinyl, seat upholstery)... and I don't want to disappoint y'all!
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bedliner suggestions

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I have an 8’ drop in you can have. Came off Big Blue. Can get pics this afternoon.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Sweet. My main worry is with an open bed water retention will become a problem. Both rangers I've had/have had drop in liners, but I put a camper shell on them rendering it a moot point.

I have a tailgate cover installed already... But if one is included, and it's in better shape, I'll take it
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was pleasantly surprised at the shape of Big Blue's bed when I pulled this liner, but I do understand your concerns.  Particularly since there was a hitch installed in the bed and there are 8 holes in the cover, as shown below:

And there are 4 square holes cut out to allow a toolbox's j-hooks to go under the lips of the top of the bed, as shown with the red ovals below.  And there are the 4 ovals, 2 shown in yellow, that are apparently for a bow for a tonneau cover?

And there is a tailgate protector, as shown below.  But I don't have any of the screws nor the hardware to hold the liner in.  But it is "free" if you'll come and get it.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Hmmm...

This is what my bed currently looks like:

(the side bars can come off, they're from my 1st ranger and honestly they haven't been as useful as I'd prefer)

My tailgate protector has a corner cracked off of it and the sheet metal screws spin.

That's the "over the rail" style... they keep water out a lot better. No good for tonneau covers and camper shells, but that's OK. The holes can be patched/filled if push came to shove.

I'll shoot you a private email to work out logistics and the like. We might have a winner since I'm feeling cheap and lazy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think I'd hit it with POR-15.  The latter will bond with the rust and since you'll be installing the drop-in liner you won't need to top-coat it.  The stuff is hard and doesn't wear through.

As for logistics, I think I can get it to the show ok on/in Big Blue, but if someone else has an empty 8' bed we can toss it in the back of their truck.

I'll be heading to the church for the show by 8 AM on Saturday and won't get home until well after the show is over, so having it at the show would probably be best.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I'll be hitting town Friday (seeing a buddy near Rolla, MO Thursday evening), so if you're not booked, the evening is an option. If needed I can bring my drill and sheet metal screws.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Are you on the list for dinner?  If not, plan on being at the church building, the same place as the show, at 6 PM on Friday.  The forum members that are coming are gathering there.  I can get the liner there somehow and you can put it on in the parking lot, ready for the show the next morning.

I have a drill and may have the right screws, but if you brought the right ones it would be best.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I am on the list... I think??? I was planning on it.

I'll send you an email... this is getting too personal for a forum post.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, you are on the list.  I just hadn't checked.  Sent you an email and I think we are good to go.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Yep.

For now, we have a plan... I need to get some POR 15...
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I really like POR15.  But, I am never able to get complete coverage with one coat.  So I would plan on two coats, and the 2nd needs to go on before the first dries.

The stuff self-levels so you can slop it on and it'll smooth out.  But if you are slopping be careful as it does NOT come off of skin for a week to 10 days.  I'd wear long sleeves and plastic gloves.  Been there, done that, and had the paint to show it.  In fact, my boots still have POR15 on them, and it isn't about to come off.

And it eats some types of plastic, including foam brushes and styrofoam cups.  I've started using the blue paint cups from the hardware store to pour it into, and cheap Nylon brushes.

Use a proper opener to open the can as you do not want to damage the can.  And when you put the lid back on use wax paper or saran wrap between the lid and the can or the lid will never come off again.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Having my wife Amazon some chassis saver instead... from what I read, more or less the same thing only a bit cheaper and better UV performance (cosmetic loss, but will still protect things).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I just checked on Amazon for "chassis saver" and got a zillion results.  But the basic Chassis Saver does appear to be very similar, if not the same, as POR15.  And that should work very nicely.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
That's the stuff... But I got a quart for 40 bux or so.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Applied the Chassis Saver Tonight:

Not a pretty application... doesn't help that my neighbor fired up the riding mower and did his lawn as soon as I started painting . But for covering all the really pitted and nasty areas before installing the bedliner, it will do. I'll drop it in tomorrow once the chassis saver has had enough time to cure (enough to cover up with a liner, that is).

To secure the bedliner to the bed, I bought six rubber wedge style stake pocket chrome anchors from LMC (Which the $50 gift card I won at the show paid for )... they're in the mail. Should be a good setup. Now to determine what the best way to patch holes in ABS plastic is... putty epoxy?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry - When covered with the bedliner you won't need the paint job to be pretty.  But it should keep the bed from rusting more.  Well done!

As for patching, I don't think the drop-in bed liner is ABS.  I'm not a materials kind of guy, and Jim can correct me, but I think of ABS as being hard and stiff, which doesn't describe that bedliner.

But I don't know what the bedliner is made of so don't have a good recommendation for how to fill the holes.  I'll tag Jim, who will probably have a good idea.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And here I am!  

I can only say that my drop-in bed-liner is polypropylene.
This is very difficult to get anything to adhere to.
I would suggest the West System G/flex 655, and follow the directions for plastic prep which include a wipe with alcohol and a quick pass from a propane torch to oxidize the surface.

Put a piece of duct tape or something to keep it from creating a problem non the back side.
This should hold well.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jim!  That's a big help.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sure thing!
Adhesive and composite chemistry is one of the things I geek out on.

You'll see there are some links on that page for technical data and surface prep.
With wiping and flame treatment you're going to get almost six times the adhesion you would with just sanding the surface. (400->2312 psi, on HDPE)

This is the only adhesive/filler I've ever found able to create a lasting bond on these waxy types of plastic because their surface is so chemically inert.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.