Bed Tag Information

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bed Tag Information

81f100custom
This is pertaining to a tag that is located on the outside front right hand lower side of the bed that measure approx. 3 1/2" long by 1 1/2" wide. Is that something that was on all trucks or not so much? Since mine was a special order and there are no exterior paint codes listed on the cert label I assume the 1619 and 5738 would be the 9A white and 6B Sand Metallic codes since that does seem to match the colors of the truck. I would guess the 117 is the wheel base since that matches. FC10A62833 is a partial of the VIN which does match. Box6 I take to be a 6' bed which matches. The others DB, OPT-40, BPN, UM LM, M1R0, 189 I have not really found anything that would tell what they mean or a description. Anyone else have such a tag on there bed or maybe familiar with what some of the codes mean? Not sure why I did not take a picture of this when I had the bed off some years ago (most likely because it was still just film cameras ) but did not. I did however copy the info down just like it was laid out on the tag as you can see here.   
Eddie,
81 F100 Custom SWB, 5.0L, 4x2, Single Rail Four-Speed Overdrive, 3.00 Non-Limited Slip Rear Axle, Non A/C truck to complete 85 F150 factory A/C conversion, Nutmeg interior color.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bed Tag Information

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Eddie - That is usually called a "buck" tag and all of the beds were said to have them.  And all of the cabs supposedly had them as well.  They were then married on the assembly line and that's how they knew for sure they were the right ones.

As for what is on them, Bill/Numberdummy said years ago that you can't decode them.  But you seems to have done a pretty good job.  But I have no idea what the rest of the info means.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bed Tag Information

85lebaront2
Administrator
Most likely it was assembly plant coding to make sure the correct bed was dropped on the frame on the line.

If you have ever been to one, it is an amazing and very busy place, I had been to the Norfolk Assembly plant several times, first time as quite young, probably 4 or 5 (somewhere before Sept 1951) and they built both cars and trucks there, engines were red or green depending on whether they were for cars or trucks. Went back in the 60s and they were still building both cars and trucks, the last time was after they were only building trucks before it was finally closed. Shame, because that plant had a world wide quality reputation (I learned this from a Mercedes-Benz truck rep). If your truck has an N for plant code it was born there.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413