Bad torque converter?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Bad torque converter?

Bullnosefan95
Hello all, I know I started a thread about my trans not working. However I had a recent thought as to maybe just my torque converter might be bad and not the transmission itself? I was reading online and it said one of the symptoms would be shuddering which is something my truck was doing and was thought to be u-joints but the u-joints after looking several times at them, had no play. And my transmission fluid smells burnt. Is it possible maybe my transmission might be fine and the torque converter might be bad? I want to try other possibilities but I cannot afford a bunch of guesses so I want to ask others if it’s possible?
1986 F-250 Diesel
7.3 IDI (It was a conversion due to the 6.9 being bad in it originally)
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Bad torque converter?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've not had a bad torque converter so I really can't help.  But I wouldn't think a bad torque converter would make the fluid smell burned.  That's typically due to the clutches slipping, causing serious heat and the burned smell.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
when was the thread posted? i would like to read it before asking too many repeated questions.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnosefan95
The beginning of October. Labeled c6, maybe bad vrv. I had some issues with it and then it died one day.
1986 F-250 Diesel
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i went back and read the thread. i had read it before but now its a little more in context. you seemed to have corrected it with proper fluid level. yet now "it died". its unlikely for the trans to cause the engine to stall. more likely for the engine to burn the clutches once they slip.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnosefan95
Well I am able to start it up and it runs like it normally does(a little rough idle but drives fine). I am able to put it in reverse and move it that way but if i try D or 2 or 1 nothing happens. It kicks a little bit like every vehicle does when you go from park to drive and it disengages the park but after that nothing. I will rev it up to 2500 to 3000 rpms and still nothing. I came across a video of a transmission shop rebuilding a transmission and they mentioned the torque converter and I thought for a minute that maybe that could’ve been the issue.
1986 F-250 Diesel
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
well if you are able to get different results from different gear selections then im going to go ahead and say its VERY unlikely to be the torque converter. the torque converter is used the same in all selections. c6 is fully hydrostatic. if you could do a pressure test on the line coming from the pump you may be able to rule out either the pump or the clutches however either will dictate a rebuild. when doing so i usually recommend a new/ reman 'ed converter in the process . converter contamination from failed trans is the reason.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnosefan95
Yeah I’ll probably pick up a new torque converter from the parts store. I am checking my local junkyards for a transmission right now and found a few that might have one. I just need to be able to get it moved from my buddys place and have the old one removed to get remaned
1986 F-250 Diesel
2WD
C6 Auto
4.10 Rear
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
if your plan is to temporarily replace with a junk yard trans until you get yours renewed, then i would use its torque converter also. assuming that the fluid smells unburned.  but there is no comparison to a refreshed unit. be certain to flush the cooler lines each time.