(Normal)
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Auto Gear Shift Selector Indicator Mechanism

Machspeed
Administrator
Got into my dash today to install my converted voltmeter. In the process, somehow broke the tube that connects to part of the cable shift indicator mechanism. See photos for better explanation. I've always known to be careful around this thing but somehow managed to damage it. I can hold the broken tube up to the assembly and shift the gear shifter with no issue, but when I let go and attempt to move it back to the left, i.e. park, it will not move. Is there a fix for this? Jeez, this ticks me off!!!    

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Auto Gear Shift Selector Indicator Mechanism

Machspeed
Administrator
I have to believe this is a common problem. I was careful and still damaged the indicator cable. Found this on ebay and reluctantly purchased it. Note the description stating "Reproduction cable assembly". Supposed to be better than OEM. Couldn't find it anywhere except on ebay. I'll keep the forum advised on this.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-86-Auto-Trans-Shift-Indicator-Cable-F150-F250-F350-Bronco-Reproduction/274692403986?_trkparms=aid%3D555023%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIMRVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20210125103416%26meid%3Dd72d88c6127d4260a57981aa15ed9c46%26pid%3D100042%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D24%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D184617521559%26itm%3D274692403986%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2508447%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5hPointwiseWebNoToraCoCoViewsNoHighIdfOrRoundRobinBlenderWithPromotedViewItems%26brand%3DFord&_trksid=p2508447.c100042.m2062
John

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Yeah mine broke when I was doing something in there. I had a NOS I bought that David had posted in the marketplace.

Nice to see a repop, and not too expensive. I may try to repair mine next time. Hopefully there isn’t a next time.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Wow, it's nice to see that there is at least an option to fix them now. Great find!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
That is a great find!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
This post was updated on .
That's a strange eBay listing. It describes the cable as being batter than stock in design and materials, then states "This is a used part".  How does that work???
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Yes, my thought too! Also, same seller has other similar listings for $105. Not sure if I'm getting just the cable while the other listing at $105 is cable and gear indicator.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
On mine, the tube (and cable) broke in the middle (not on an end), so I put some tygon small engine fuel line on the tube and re-strung it with fishing line.

That said, if mine breaks again, I'll note the reproduction. Looks like 3D printed hard parts from here, could be CNC'd (That's how replacement odometer motor gears for 1990's stuff on ebay are made, anyway). Or they're reused from old broken units with new tube and inner cable/string?

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, why don't we ask the guy that listed it?  Following the link above takes me to the same place that link in this thread does: Reproduction Auto Transmission Indicator Cable.  So, apparently our new member thisoldpart is not only the guy that listed it on ebay but the guy that makes them.  So I'll tag him to come here.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator

Gary Lewis wrote
Well, why don't we ask the guy that listed it?  Following the link above takes me to the same place that link in this thread does: Reproduction Auto Transmission Indicator Cable.  So, apparently our new member thisoldpart is not only the guy that listed it on ebay but the guy that makes them.  So I'll tag him to come here.  
Yes, please do Gary! I had thought to email him through ebay in regards to what I was getting and to ask questions about it. He also had a map light listed that I wanted to ask him questions about. He appears to have quite a few Bullnose related parts on ebay and must be knowledgeable about our needs by coming up with that Auto Trans Indicator mechanism. I knew getting into my dash assembly too many times was risky and that eventually I'd brake that sucker. Whoever engineered that single piece collar and the instrument cluster is a pinhead!  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ratdude747
Odometer gears, you must be talking about the guys in Newport News VA who make them. A couple of NASA types and they got started with the late 80s/early 90s Chrysler electronic speedometers (G and J bodies originally). Excellent products!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

thisoldpart
Yes, I'm the one who is making the reproduction shift cables.  I posted it under the marketplace earlier today.  Glad to see that people are finding it organically as well.

To clarify I have one listing for the just the indicator cable which is what Machspeed linked to.  I've also got a couple of other listings that include the cable AND a used indicator.  "This is a used part" is boilerplate that I copied from my other listing.  Sounds like my ebay listings are a little confusing,  I'll have to clean that up.  It's nice to get some good feedback.

The end pieces are 3D printed parts as ratdude747 noticed. The inner cable is nylon coated multi strand stainless steel similar to the stock cable.  

Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good answers!  So, what all things do you have for our trucks?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

thisoldpart
I gather parts from trucks that I find at local wrecking yards.  My focus is on the 80-91 trucks and parts that have a demand on Ebay.  I try clean them up good, fully inspect them and provide a decent description so people know what they are getting.  Some parts, like gauge clusters, I do a more in depth restoration on to make sure everything is working and in good shape.  I try hard to not sell junk!

I've got a small pile of parts that are not listed yet.  A blue console, a couple of exterior lower trim sets, a tailgate panel or two, etc. If you have parts in particular that your needing let me know.  I may find what you need on my next journey.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good to know.  Do you have a "store" on ebay where we can peruse your offerings?

As for looking for things, I'm not at the moment.  But thanks for the offer.  Others may well be looking for things.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
I'd have to recheck... it's been a while. Like 5 years or so.

The part was clearly made on a CNC lathe... and at a lot cheaper than Dorman's offering.

The plastic worm gears ford used didn't agree with the sewing machine grease used for the odometer drives, and would crumble to pieces, making faulty odometers a common issue. Thankfully in my case, the failure occurred after I bought it and I was able to limit the error to a few hundred miles (doesn't matter, as I had to replace the truck and ended up rebuilding the odometer the same way for the other truck).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Nice to meet you, I have looked at a lot of your listings.

I am tempted to buy a couple of your reman cables to keep in a draw. I have 3 of these old trucks now and it is only a matter of time before I break one of those cables, again.

I really should bring back all the parts I see at the breakers and list them. I see  lot of stuff like dash bezels and A pillars that people always struggle to find. Maybe next time I go. I will sweep all the vehicles they have there and give it a go.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Just wanted to confirm that our member thisoldpart's shift indicator cable is what he says it is. After breaking mine, I did a hopeful web search for a replacement and found it on ebay and purchased it. I've installed it and am very pleased. And, I do believe it is better than the OEM part. If I were to be super critical, my only concern might be the cable crimp. In that area, and that area only, the OEM crimp may be better. It's not an issue and I say that only to give him insight on possibly improving an already great product.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

thisoldpart
This post was updated on .
Machspeed, Thank you for the update.  Your observations on the crimps are very astute.  I picked up my first crimp tool at a local speciality store and constantly fought with the thing.  The crimps were strong enough, every cable gets a 10 pound hanging weight test, but were ugly.  Eventually I decided try a cheaper one off Amazon and it's working much better. Beautiful and strong crimp every time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Good to hear! As a former machinist, I am always curious about how things are made. I'm also quite critical in construction. Glad to have you here among us and thank you for producing this part.
John