Anyone with a factory two tone roof ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Anyone with a factory two tone roof ?

PetesPonies
Where the roof is a different color than the rest of the cab and door? I'd like to see the tape used to separate the colors. Earlier trucks used metal trim.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Anyone with a factory two tone roof ?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dad's had a candy apple red roof on a maroon base from the factory.  You can see a pic of it on this page: About Me/Trucks I Have Known/Dad's Truck - Overview.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
But it appears to be all maroon in the pics. I see red in the upper jamb. I need to see the tape, how many lines were used, size ,etc. I believe I know how it was done lower on the body, but haven't found any pics that show the separation for the roof.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point - I forgot that it was repainted all maroon.  But they didn't paint the door jambs.  There wasn't any tape in the jambs, but you are probably asking about outside where the two colors met just below the nameplate in this picture.

You might be able to find it in the tape stripe info on page Specifications/Tape Stripe Codes/F-Series Tape Stripe Codes.  Those images aren't the best, so if you see you that you need cleared up I may be able to do a better job getting it out of the catalog.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
I think I have some pretty decent pictures of this on my old phone, I will charge it up and see if I can find you some.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I'm surprised the jamb was even painted by ford . .many two tones are not. yes the outside where the two colors meet. I'l check the link.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Ford F834
That would help thanks.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was looking at the tape stripe info in the link, and it looks like Dad's truck would have had Type 1. But I didn't understand which color of tape. However, the info in the Literature/1981 Literature/1981 Truck Facts Organizer on the F-Series tab helped - Coral/Bright Red/Dark Red:

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Thanks again. So it would have been a three color "redish" stripe, coral/bright red/dark red.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's my understanding.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
Somewhere... I know I took very explicit detailed photos of the curve, vinyl stripe and two tone paint design on a single cab truck because I wanted to be able to recreate it if desired. Now I can't for the life of me find them. Sorry, the only thing that was on my old phone were these shots of a 1980 copper and gold two tone Supercab:

I will have to re-take photos of that the next time I see it in the junkyard.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
What I'm doing . . . .  I just bought an '82 F100 Flareside in wimbledon white. I want to add an accent color to the roof, tailgate letters and ?? If you saw what I have built, you would clearly see I try to make things look older, than newer. Therefore, I don't always stay to the year of the vehicle. I had thought a red roof and letters would look good. But I'm looking at other colors. My interior is tan, which I like. But it seems most two tones have the extra color match the interior. So white with red, would probably have a red interior. What two tone combos would use the tan interior??

Here's some vehicles I have built along that line:

Gen 2 Ranger with Gen 1 front metal, '61 F100 grille ( 14" cut out ) and more . .

'84 Bronco II with '66 Bronco grille

My '83 Bronco that I am putting a '64 F100 grille in:

Just to give you idea of what I like to do. I do the same to motorcycles as well. HOWEVER, this '82 F100 is not going to be changed that much. This is going to be much more subtle, with some small paint changes and small modifications. So . .  gotta decide on the paint addition ???
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting projects.  

On the paint colors, I have an '82 brochure in Literature/1982 Literature, and it shows the 1982 exterior and interior colors.  But, it doesn't match them up.

However, the Literature/1981 Literature/1981 Truck Facts Organizer does have a table on the F-Series tab that shows the interior colors that go with the exterior colors.  Maybe that would help?

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Ultimately, I'll do what I want . . .  and of course, through the ordering process you could get damn near whatever you wanted anyway. But yes, I'd love to see that bit of info. I think I'm still leaning towards red, but that could change.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
That is interesting .  I looked at it. Weird that you could get a red exterior with fawn interior, but could not get the maroon exterior with fawn interior?????? And again, by saying you couldn't get .  I guess I mean what was produced and shipped to the lots. Because I fully believe I could have ordered a maroon exterior with fawn interior if I wanted it   :)
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that shows what was standard.  But they wanted your money and didn't really care about your taste in colors, so....

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I just read in the '81 brochure that the tape stripe that separated the roof color was a 2 color stripe, not three. It's on page 18.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
and I'm realizing the roof color went onto the door as well with the basic two tone. I had though it was only this way with the Victoria Two Tone.

[img]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/1024x768/80-20140706_142535_zps9c665ba6_fdcc70fe25822bde856304cf6bf122ce3dc0aba4.jpg[/img]

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Although this one doesn't seem to have roof color on the door'
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
And although this is just an amateur respray . . he did copy the way it was before he sprayed it.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco