Any sources for interior trim for 81-86 F series?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
Assigned: delco1946 at priority
(Normal)
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Any sources for interior trim for 81-86 F series?

CountryBumkin
I need the corner trim panels (L & R sides) that fit behind the seat (fit corner from floor to roof. The seat belt retractor is also behind this panel) for my '82 F250 XTL Lariat. The stock panels are so dried out they crumble when touched. I'm replacing the rear window and repairing some rust, so I had to take these trim panels out.

I looked on Dennis Carpenter site, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, and LMC Truck. Are there any other sources?

-Mike
1982 F250 4x4 XLT Lariat, 460cid, 9.5:1, TFS 290 Street Port heads, Crane Hyd. Roller cam (278/286 adv.,216/224 @.050, .560"/.586" lift), Edelbrock Performer 460 intake, MSD Atomic TBI fuel injection, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD Billet distrib., Hedman headers, NOS Cheater system, 4" Suspension lift, 3" body lift, 4.56 gearing, 17x12.5Rx37 tires MT Baja ATZ-P3.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Any sources for interior trim for 81-86 F series?

Vic Roma
In my experience, eBay is your best bet, then junk yards.
Then there is the "Want to Buy" section in this very forum.
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by CountryBumkin
CountryBumkin wrote
I need the corner trim panels (L & R sides) that fit behind the seat (fit corner from floor to roof. The seat belt retractor is also behind this panel) for my '82 F250 XTL Lariat. The stock panels are so dried out they crumble when touched. I'm replacing the rear window and repairing some rust, so I had to take these trim panels out.

I looked on Dennis Carpenter site, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, and LMC Truck. Are there any other sources?

Those trim panels that fits in the corner from floor up to the ceiling are not produced by anyone you have to find used or NOS units.

But for my sources the following is the sources I use.

Dennis-Carpenter
Jeff's Bronco Graveyard
NPD Link
Green Sales Co. (this one is NOS parts and can be very pricy)
Ebay (great source for NOS parts if you know the OEM part number)

I try not to use LMC cause most of their stuff is cheaply produced items but some times you have to use them if there is no other option.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can find the part numbers here: Documentation/Interior/Interior Trim.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CountryBumkin
Thanks for all the replies. I did not have "NPD" in my saved sites - so at least I have a new source now. Unfortunately they don't have anything I need.

At least I know where I can get the "cardboard panel for the back of the bench seat (for $217). :) <that is just sarcastic humor.

I'm trying to repair the crumbling section now by laying some fiberglass on the backside. Not sure if it will work or not...

I recall these panels (actually all of the interior panels) were available for a while from aftermarket sources. It's probably 10 years or so since I seen (or looked) for any trim panels.

I guess E-bay is the last resource - but I wont hold my breath. Any truck parts at Ebay would be at least 30 years old and probably in the same condition as what I have now.

- Mike
-Mike
1982 F250 4x4 XLT Lariat, 460cid, 9.5:1, TFS 290 Street Port heads, Crane Hyd. Roller cam (278/286 adv.,216/224 @.050, .560"/.586" lift), Edelbrock Performer 460 intake, MSD Atomic TBI fuel injection, MSD 6AL ignition, MSD Billet distrib., Hedman headers, NOS Cheater system, 4" Suspension lift, 3" body lift, 4.56 gearing, 17x12.5Rx37 tires MT Baja ATZ-P3.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Nemesis F150
Awhile back I was searching for interior plastic and came across this page for the doors. Things may have changed since then but this is what I copied:
Door Panel Replacement $308.99 pair “Light Blue” 12-45N-LBL
Coverlay Found for $281.72 with free shipping from AutoPartsWarehouse
$213.95 Door panels
https://www.1aauto.com/1985-ford-f150-truck-interior-parts-and-accessories/y-mo-c/1985-1521-8
From the link on the web page url:
Our new Ford Pickup Truck and Bronco molded plastic door panels are a great replacement. They come as a pair.
Features:
                Comes with Padded Armrest
                Comes with cut out for manual window crank
                1 Piece molded construction
                Coated with a UV resistant material for long life
                Comes with Window Sweeper
                Not correct for models with sliding door locks

These Door panels come molded in black. The customer may paint them to match their interior color. The manufacturer recommends SEM brand Vinyl Paints.

Be sure to read the 2-star review. Seems things have changed since the site was last visited. Back then there was a choice of colors and the picture I saved was "light blue" but now they only have black. Document what the web site showed, clarify with email, and pay with a good credit card company.

Haven’t ordered anything yet because of working on other issues first. But, given some of these sources may be disappearing it might be wise to pull the trigger sooner than later.

In a way it’s amazing that one can just about put together a 90-year-old Model A with parts but it is difficult to do that with a much newer vehicle. Plus, the Model A parts don’t have plastic problems.
-= John =-
[edit: interior plastic replacement is on my To-Do list, too]
-= John =- 1985 F-150 EFI 302/5.0L dual tanks, long-wide bed, "heavy-half"
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Nemesis F150 wrote
Awhile back I was searching for interior plastic and came across this page for the doors. Things may have changed since then but this is what I copied:
Door Panel Replacement $308.99 pair “Light Blue” 12-45N-LBL
Coverlay Found for $281.72 with free shipping from AutoPartsWarehouse
$213.95 Door panels
https://www.1aauto.com/1985-ford-f150-truck-interior-parts-and-accessories/y-mo-c/1985-1521-8
From the link on the web page url:
Our new Ford Pickup Truck and Bronco molded plastic door panels are a great replacement. They come as a pair.
Features:
                Comes with Padded Armrest
                Comes with cut out for manual window crank
                1 Piece molded construction
                Coated with a UV resistant material for long life
                Comes with Window Sweeper
                Not correct for models with sliding door locks

These Door panels come molded in black. The customer may paint them to match their interior color. The manufacturer recommends SEM brand Vinyl Paints.

Be sure to read the 2-star review. Seems things have changed since the site was last visited. Back then there was a choice of colors and the picture I saved was "light blue" but now they only have black. Document what the web site showed, clarify with email, and pay with a good credit card company.

Haven’t ordered anything yet because of working on other issues first. But, given some of these sources may be disappearing it might be wise to pull the trigger sooner than later.

In a way it’s amazing that one can just about put together a 90-year-old Model A with parts but it is difficult to do that with a much newer vehicle. Plus, the Model A parts don’t have plastic problems.
-= John =-
[edit: interior plastic replacement is on my To-Do list, too]
Most places do black only and you have to color it.  Its cheaper for them to just make everything in one color vs a color that might not sell too good.

On that link they have some door panels for $315.95.  I bought mine from Dennis-Carpenter in black as thats all that was offered and I didnt pay but $150 for a pair and they were made on the original dies.  When I pulled my original panels off they had the same exact markings and numbers on the new one.  The plastic was a lot thicker than the one I installed on a customers '82 that he got from LMC, honestly the LMC one looked like they pulled a mold off an original panel as the twisted thread pattern was obscure from what appeared to be trash/paint in the master they used to create the mold.  On Dennis-Carpenters you could see the twisted thread.

Below is a photo of mine from 2016 when I installed it.  The door panel was painted Shadow Blue, the armrest was bought from NPD already in Shadow Blue.

Its why you have to be careful when it comes to interior pieces.  Below is a photo of the trash a customer at work bought for his '82 F150 he had us restomod.  This piece came from LMC.

Its why I refuse to buy interior components from LMC and will buy from Dennis Carpenter or NPD as it seems their products are better than what you can get from LMC and the pricing is better.  Those pre painted tan door panels from LMC were pushing $300 for a pair and I got mine for $150 then throw in the SEM paint and SEM paint prep glue spray to get it to stick better I had probably $175 in the two door panels.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Nemesis F150
In reply to this post by CountryBumkin
Mike - Great post!
CountryBumkin wrote
I need the corner trim panels (L & R sides) that fit behind the seat (fit corner from floor to roof. ....
I’ve got the same problem (including the door panels), so, if you find a source please post back. It's a bummer to learn that the trim panels are apparently unavailable.

Speaking of door panels: Since they only come in black, if there is no option for replacement trim panels, as long as I have the spray paint for the door panels then I’ll spray the old corner trim pieces I have and hope that will buy some time, and maybe, even slow down or prevent further damage. Hopefully, in the meantime, replacement parts will become available.

It appears the damage is UV related so if the spray paint has UV inhibiters in it that should help.

What is interesting is that the plastic trim around the windshield is perfectly fine. The plant or contract manufacturer must have used a different formulation for the plastic.

Below is a picture of my door panel.

-= John =-
note: the padded arm rest doesn't have a faded spot like shown in the photo.
Also, the plastic in the faded area is very soft and can be easily scratched.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Nemesis F150 wrote
Mike - Great post!
CountryBumkin wrote
I need the corner trim panels (L & R sides) that fit behind the seat (fit corner from floor to roof. ....
I’ve got the same problem (including the door panels), so, if you find a source please post back. It's a bummer to learn that the trim panels are apparently unavailable.

Speaking of door panels: Since they only come in black, if there is no option for replacement trim panels, as long as I have the spray paint for the door panels then I’ll spray the old corner trim pieces I have and hope that will buy some time, and maybe, even slow down or prevent further damage. Hopefully, in the meantime, replacement parts will become available.

It appears the damage is UV related so if the spray paint has UV inhibiters in it that should help.

What is interesting is that the plastic trim around the windshield is perfectly fine. The plant or contract manufacturer must have used a different formulation for the plastic.

Below is a picture of my door panel.

-= John =-
note: the padded arm rest doesn't have a faded spot like shown in the photo.
Also, the plastic in the faded area is very soft and can be easily scratched.
The SEM interior paint has UV protection in it.  Its what I will be using on my dashboard when I get my new dash pad so the color will match properly.  I how ever am still looking for new windshield pillar trim but dont think I will be able to find them so the SEM is the go to for sprucing up the trim.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nemesis F150
This post was updated on .
Rusty_S85 wrote
The SEM interior paint has UV protection in it.  Its what I will be using on my dashboard when I get my new dash pad so the color will match properly.  I how ever am still looking for new windshield pillar trim but dont think I will be able to find them so the SEM is the go to for sprucing up the trim.
The padded dash and some of the plastic I have still looks good with no discoloring. Wonder if SEM makes a UV clear coat that can be used. And in a mat finish? Would really like to protect what hasn't been damaged yet.

[Edit, Update: Sent SEM Tech Support an email and asked if they have a UV Clear Coat that would help in our application]

[Edit Aug 11, Update #2; Nice reply from SEM Tech Support, for info:

"Thanks for contacting us about our products.
The clears in our COLOR COAT line have good UV resistance and you could use them over the dash (after proper prep) but you could just as easily recolor the dash with COLOR COAT and restore the color as well as protect the dash for many years.
COLRO COAT will not harden plastic but will help keep the UV from doing any more harm to it.
Thanks again"

Thought: Before buying new door panels, since the can of "matching color spray paint" will be needed anyway, maybe just getting the paint and spraying the existing door panels (after removing all the trim and padded arm rest), and the pillar trim, might be a good way to go and just see how much protection to the soft and faded plastic the paint provides. Maybe more than one coat in those areas if it doesn't sheen up?]

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Nemesis F150 wrote
Rusty_S85 wrote
The padded dash and some of the plastic I have still looks good with no discoloring. Wonder if SEM makes a UV clear coat that can be used. And in a mat finish? Would really like to protect what hasn't been damaged yet.

[Edit, Update: Sent SEM Tech Support an email and asked if they have a UV Clear Coat that would help in our application]

[Edit Aug 11, Update #2; Nice reply from SEM Tech Support, for info:

"Thanks for contacting us about our products.
The clears in our COLOR COAT line have good UV resistance and you could use them over the dash (after proper prep) but you could just as easily recolor the dash with COLOR COAT and restore the color as well as protect the dash for many years.
COLRO COAT will not harden plastic but will help keep the UV from doing any more harm to it.
Thanks again"

Thought: Before buying new door panels, since the can of "matching color spray paint" will be needed anyway, maybe just getting the paint and spraying the existing door panels (after removing all the trim and padded arm rest), and the pillar trim, might be a good way to go and just see how much protection to the soft and faded plastic the paint provides. Maybe more than one coat in those areas if it doesn't sheen up?]
I was going to say the clear dose have UV protection as thats what I was told years ago when I was re-doing the inside of my 70 Javelin, I did not know the paint also had it good to know.

As for sheen be careful for glare back.
I used the color coat on the dash cover and on bright days the glare is pretty bad to the point I am thinking of getting one of them cover rugs for when driving and pull it off at shows.

I did not have to paint the new dash pad on the Javelin and have not had it out driving so dont know how it will be on a bright day.

So watch the sheen
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Nemesis F150
If you take a look at the shadow blue I painted my new dennis-carpenter door panels years ago thats the sheen I had with I think 4 or 5 coats of the blue.  For me it was very hard to get a proper lay down of the color with the door panel being black and the blue being so dark it was blending in too easy for me to tell so I kept going over it till I could tell but after curing I noticed some areas are not perfect to my liking.  Still better than the brittle ones I took off that was falling apart.

The arm rest pad was not painted I found a place online that sold it with the vinyl already in the shadow blue.  Something like that or the sun visors I didnt want to trust the paint to touching constantly that is soft such as the arm rest or the sun visors.

I plan to replace the door panels again with Dennis-Carpenter reproductions again and this time going to get inside with some proper bright lightning to ensure the color is smooth without bleed through.
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
You can find the part numbers here: Documentation/Interior/Interior Trim.
Hey Gary, this page (for reg cab) is showing up blank for me and i'm looking for the rear corner panel part numbers - is there a work around to get this to show up ?
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!  I don't know what happened, but see if it is fixed now.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI