classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Another new guy

jdfoto
Hi everyone,

I'm the proud new owner of an 84 F150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.8l motor.  I'm learning as I go... not even sure what questions I need to be asking at this point.  Here's a small list of items I know I need to get started on:

0. I know there are some manuals for other years available here online.  Which ones would be most compatible with my 84?  I've got a bunch of wires connected to nothing, need to see about adding air-conditioning, etc.  I love that there are electronic manuals to refer to, but would love to have a paper manual sitting next to me while I'm learning.  If you have one for sale or know of one available that's not going to take my kid's college fund to pay for it, please let me know.  Thanks!
1. Engine cleaning!  I know I have leaks here and there (who doesn't?), but tracking them down is going to be impossible if there's a thick layer of gunk all over the engine.
2. Gaskets & seals.  After the cleaning, I'm sure I'll immediately become aware of a bunch of places leaking a bunch of liquids.  Valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, rear main seal, etc.  Anything else?
3. Shocks.  I think the ones that are on it are original to the truck.  Are these as easy to replace as it appears?  Any tricks?  What brand of shocks should I consider?
4. Windshield.  Nuff said.  I think there are one or two available in local parts yards.
5. Rebuilding the steering column.  I have no turn signals, horn, cruise control, etc.  The tilt steering is loose enough that the slightest pull on it will tilt the wheel down into my lap.  I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace the ignition and ignition linkage, too.  Right now I turn the key to unlock the steering wheel but have to use a pushrod to start the truck completely separately.  Any advice on this is greatly appreciated (repair? replace?).
6. Someone once drilled a hole in the post to mount a spotlight.  I'm not sure at this point whether or not I'm going to fill in the hole and paint over it or get another spotlight and remount it.  We'll see.  Those spotlights are expensive!
7. Weatherstripping.  I'm sure it'll need to be replaced all around.  The seat by the back window has a stain on it from water coming in through the sliding window... not a big deal right now, but when the snow comes...

Anyway, I'm glad there is a forum for us all!

Thanks,

Jason
Jason De Lane
1984 F150 XLT 4x4 4-speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Another new guy

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

Where is home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you with a city/state or zip.

As for your questions, I'll see what I can do, with my answers in bold:

0. I know there are some manuals for other years available here online.  Which ones would be most compatible with my 84?  I've got a bunch of wires connected to nothing, need to see about adding air-conditioning, etc.  I love that there are electronic manuals to refer to, but would love to have a paper manual sitting next to me while I'm learning.  If you have one for sale or know of one available that's not going to take my kid's college fund to pay for it, please let me know.  Thanks!  We don't have anything for sale as part of the forum/website, but individual members might.  However, most of what you need is available on the site, albeit the bits and pieces are spread all over - on purpose.  Still, the wiring info you need is available at Documentation/Electrical/EVTMs/1985 EVTM.

1. Engine cleaning!  I know I have leaks here and there (who doesn't?), but tracking them down is going to be impossible if there's a thick layer of gunk all over the engine.  You can use a scraper and get quite a bit of gunk off, but eventually you'll want to use an engine degreaser like Gunk.

2. Gaskets & seals.  After the cleaning, I'm sure I'll immediately become aware of a bunch of places leaking a bunch of liquids.  Valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, rear main seal, etc.  Anything else?  Check the oil pressure sending unit near the fuel pump.  And look for heater hose and radiator hose leaks.

3. Shocks.  I think the ones that are on it are original to the truck.  Are these as easy to replace as it appears?  Any tricks?  What brand of shocks should I consider?  Depending on what you are looking for, you might consider Monroes for a daily driver, or if you are looking for something serious the top end is probably Fox.

4. Windshield.  Nuff said.  I think there are one or two available in local parts yards.  I wouldn't bother trying to extract one from the salvage.  The odds of breaking it while removing it are high, and even if you don't break it the windshield will probably be pitted.  So I'd go with a new one and have it professionally installed.  However, most vendors will install a later one that obscures the VIN on a Bullnose as Ford moved the VIN in later years.  Don't let them as it is illegal and will make selling the truck very difficult.

5. Rebuilding the steering column.  I have no turn signals, horn, cruise control, etc.  The tilt steering is loose enough that the slightest pull on it will tilt the wheel down into my lap.  I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace the ignition and ignition linkage, too.  Right now I turn the key to unlock the steering wheel but have to use a pushrod to start the truck completely separately.  Any advice on this is greatly appreciated (repair? replace?).  This is a very typical problem with tilt wheels.  There are links on our page at Documentation/Interior/Steering Columns as to how to fix it.

6. Someone once drilled a hole in the post to mount a spotlight.  I'm not sure at this point whether or not I'm going to fill in the hole and paint over it or get another spotlight and remount it.  We'll see.  Those spotlights are expensive!  We will await your decision. 

7.Weatherstripping.  I'm sure it'll need to be replaced all around.  The seat by the back window has a stain on it from water coming in through the sliding window... not a big deal right now, but when the snow comes...  The door weatherstripping is fairly easy to replace, but that for the rear window requires removal of the window, which isn't all that easy.  But we have directions on the site when you are ready.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

jdfoto
Hi Gary,

I'm in Chewelah, WA 99109.

Thanks for your answers!  I'm looking forward to working on the truck!

Best regards,

Jason
Jason De Lane
1984 F150 XLT 4x4 4-speed
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by jdfoto
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by jdfoto
Welcome, Jason.  You are now on the map.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI