Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
201 messages Options
12345678 ... 11
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Alternator Upgrade Related Questions (was One-Wire Alternator Questions)

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
💡 Gary has a larger dual sheave alternator pulley I sent him from L&L, but he's not using it because he went EFI with a serpentine (polygroove) belt.

Maybe the two of you can work something out?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I have seen the DB Electric AFD0028 mentioned and I was considering that.  I'm not sure if it has an LRC regulator or not.  It also comes with a serpentine belt pulley.  I'm not sure if I can just swap my pulley out or not.

As for the crank pulley, the sheaves that the alternator and compressor ride on do have a bit of a gap between them.  The pulley shown in the 3G conversion document looks like it might work though.  However, if I don't need two belts I can stick with one.

What exactly do you mean by good belt wrap?  I haven't heard that phrase before.
Will
--
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Right - going to dual belts is extremely challenging. I had to make the pulley for Dad’s truck by altering a pulley on the lathe since I couldn’t find a 2-belt pulley with tho grooves the same size.

So I wouldn’t bother to go to two belts. Follow Jim’s lead, but get an LRC regulator. Load Reduction Control ramps up the charging over several seconds instead of bringing it on quickly.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I’d forgotten about that, Jim. I’ll look to see that I still have it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by dirtymac
The shafts are all 17 mm.
You just swap it out, but sometimes you need a tiny shim behind to keep the pulley from rubbing on the case. (Depending on the specific pulley)

The belt goes halfway around...
So the traction area of the rubber belt on the pulley is good.
Instead of some setup where the belt only wraps a third of the way around or less.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Load Response Control.....

Yes, I'm a pedant.  🤣
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
I read about the shims so that is on my list.

And ok on the belt wrap.  I think I have a good amount of wrap now with the 1G.  It looks like it is half way or close to that.

I wonder about the 8.25" case though.  I don't have a lot of extra length on the bracket.  I may need to remove the 1G and take some measures before I make a decision.

Where can I find a decent LRC if the DB Electric doesn't have one?
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good catch - yes “response” not “reduction”. Same load, but just responded to slowly.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The extra length is only 5/8" from C to pivot, but that puts the larger body of the alternator a bit farther away from the block and bracket so it has some room to swing.
If you go with the 7" 130 there is no room for adjustment.
The adjuster arm fits fine in every case I've seen, but maybe mock it up in cardboard or something if you're worried.  

I would try Maniac Electric Motors.  They've always been very responsive and quick to ship, for me.

Be sure to get the correct shape regulator to fit the pigtail you just bought.
Some are 'D' shaped and others more rectangular.
I don't have it all here in front of me, but I know the pitfalls.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You probably want the D shaped F795

LRC regulators are white not grey.

Here's one on eBay, cheap...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255635368543?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Eo-X25ItSQu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=V52-0s-ZTpm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
If all of my parts come in on time I will be working on this over the weekend.  I'll provide some updates when I have them.
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good luck, Will.  And don't be shy about asking questions.

Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
I don't think I'll have any problems asking questions
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Don't be shy about photo documenting your process either.
Gary can always use them for the tutorial page (especially if there's something that seems confusing)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Don't be shy about photo documenting your process either.
Gary can always use them for the tutorial page (especially if there's something that seems confusing)
Amen!

Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
I'll definitely take lots of pictures!
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I sent my spare ammeter off to Rocketman for conversion to a voltmeter.  I don't think it will be back before this weekend.  I know he's in the middle of moving so it might be a bit before it arrives.

My backup plan is to go ahead and remove the ammeter I have installed now.  I need to work on some other things in the coming weeks that will require the cluster to be removed at least a couple of more times so this shouldn't interfere with anything.
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
I was out of town last week so no progress lately.  Should be getting back on this soon.
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I was kinda wondering if you'd ditched us, Will!  😂
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
The only thing I've ever ditched and complete abandoned was a Honda motorcycle
Will
--
12345678 ... 11