Alternative to insulation-displacement connector?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Alternative to insulation-displacement connector?

RenoHuskerDu
Those all-too-common 3M T taps and Scotchloks etc really mess up wiring. 3M connector example They open up the copper strands to ingress of corrosion, and cut a few strands off too.  I have no ideal alternative at this time.

So I follow one of my own two suboptimal methods. I'm interested if anyone has good alternatives.

1. Cut the wire and splice in the new wire to one side then butt splice it back up with Solder Seal Wire Connectors that somehow magically solder with a common heat gun. Remember to put heat shrink on first, doh! I'm saying that to myself...

2. Build my own soldered T tap. Cut insulation in a ring and spread open. Push a sharp probe thru the middle of the original wire, spreading 50% of the strands on both sides and making a hole. Push the new wire into the hole, then twist up tight and solder with a gun or powerful iron. The big problem with this method is lack of weatherproofing. Electrical tape only lasts so long, and there's no way to get heat shrink tube on the original continuous run of wire.

Anybody have a better plan?  I need to wire a flatbed onto my F550 quarry truck soon, so I'm all ears.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Alternative to insulation-displacement connector?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not sure I understand your second approach, but since you say you can't get heat shrink on it I don't think I'd use it.

I actually do basically the same thing as your first approach, although not with the Solder Seal Wire Connectors as I've not tried them.  Instead, I take a crimp-style butt connector and cut off the insulation.  Slide the glue-lined heat shrink over the wires and then crimp the connector on.  Then I solder the wires into the connector, slide the heat shrink over that, and heat it up.

Makes for a permanent connection that is waterproof.  And it makes for a much smaller connection than trying to twist the wires together and then solder them.

As for the 3M Scotchlocks, I will NOT use them for all the reasons you stated.  And while they make a weatherproof version, I like my approach much better.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
I've done it a few ways. My current go-to is to use a knife to carefully strip a section in the middle of the wire (without cutting it), wrap and solder the new wire to the exposed section of the existing wire, then seal it up with liquid electrical tape. Then conventional tape, heat shrink (if possible) or flexible conduit it over once all wires in the harness getting tapped are complete. Done this when converting to a heated O2 sensor (tapped into the EEC power circuit) and when adding a 7 pin trailer connector (and before that, fixing a poorly tapped 4 pin connector). And tapping the A/C wire when adding an e-fan controller to my ranger.

Takes some knife skill to not cut too many filaments... but it works for me. Used to cut n' crimp but this is a lot easier on tight harnesses (only need enough slack to strip and solder, not to shove and crimp). Plus I find it holds up a lot better. Ford used a similar technique on stock harness taps, only wrapping a crimp between both wires instead of solder; I don't have such crimps or crimper, so solder is my choice.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That is what I have done both on Darth and T2K-CAR. Strip the insulation off where I need to add a circuit take off by using a razor blade. If it is an inside circuit, I generally just wrap it with friction tape, external, like underhood, I have used RTV + friction tape which is pretty much what Ford and Chrysler did.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
I have used GM Delco Weather-Pack connectors quite a bit. One thing they don't really offer is a way to splice multiple wires together. However, the more modern successor to Weather-Pack is the Metri-Pack system, which offers splice connectors like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382462410767

I have not tried any Metri-Pack stuff, but it looks like all the same (cheap) tools would work on it. If I ever need to splice multiple wires together, this is how I would do it.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Here is the weatherproof ones Gary mentioned.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotchlok-Electrical-Connector-Self-Stripping/dp/B00P1UENB6/ref=asc_df_B00P1UENB6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241981236908&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=846268666226931725&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023810&hvtargid=pla-381707143677&psc=1

I have been using them on my trailers and such since the 90's. Have not had any issues with them.
Just my opinion. Bruce
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In Gary's thread about lighting Positaps were mentioned. I have not used these before but I do have some on hand now:

https://www.amazon.com/Posi-Twist-Bundle-Kit-10-26/dp/B08P9T1SGN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=11PGMOHXIOQAU&keywords=posi+tap&qid=1636032180&s=industrial&sprefix=postal%2Cindustrial%2C136&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVUFJNEdORkhBVDFCJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjc4MTYyMzQwUDlQNTE5UE1BSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzg2MjQ0MlRQU1hJVVVXMFpTNSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I thought about suggesting those, but the question was about how to "wire a flatbed onto my F550 quarry truck" and I was afraid those won't seal.  Maybe I was wrong?

Please let us know how they work for you.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
A flatbed quarry truck is about the worst scenario, other than a salt-water-humidity coastal area.  Although I've reached the stage where I can afford to not run in bad weather, it's still an insistent admixture of abrasive dust and vibration that gets in everywhere. And Texas is known for sudden showers any time of year.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by Bruce moose4x4
I had a look and imho they would be more appropriate on

1) solid wire so it won't cut a few strands as the edges push thru
2) inside a junction box, as the demo photos show, for additional weatherproofing

I have no junction boxes on my trucks. But heck, some day when I am a millionaire of pure leisure, which is when dogs grow wings, why not do that?  It sure would be a clean look. Along with chrome-plated leaf springs.

3M-Scotchlok-Electrical-Connector-Self-Stripping