Alfie's Winch Bumper

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Alfie's Winch Bumper

Alfie623
After a few years of hunting with no success I've decided to build my own winch bumper.  (Cue the laughing)......

I'm trying to maintain the vintage look and I've always liked the like of the Warn bumper from the early 80's.  This is the look I'm after.

My truck came with fog lights from the factory and I want to include them in the bumper.  I was toying around with cutting them into the face of the bumper like seen here, even though its not how the bumper was originally offered.

I already own this winch so it's just a matter of matching up the shape, figuring out the mounting brackets, welding the steel and then having the whole thing chromed....should be a piece of cake right???

Here is the winch I'll be installing.

1983 Bronco XLT being rebuilt/restored with a 5.8 HO & ZF5 and a pile of other improvements..... Serpentine drive; saginaw saw; 3G swap; manual swap with a ZF5; hydro boost swap to name a few....
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Alfie's Winch Bumper

Alfie623
I found the bumper locally which made it real easy for me to measure and compare and create templates but the bumper was on a Chevy and a previous owner had cut and fabricated his own brackets.  I was clueless on where to start with brackets until this past Friday when I saw a post on Facebook with NOS brackets about to be installed!  How lucky I was to see that.  

Here is the bracket I need to replicate.

1983 Bronco XLT being rebuilt/restored with a 5.8 HO & ZF5 and a pile of other improvements..... Serpentine drive; saginaw saw; 3G swap; manual swap with a ZF5; hydro boost swap to name a few....
Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
Prior to seeing the brackets I had committed to building the bumper and figuring the brackets out later.  Today I was able to pick up the raw shapes of the bumper from the steel fabricator.  

From these I'll cut and weld and create the shape over the next few weeks.  I'll start by creating the "basket" and the mounting brackets from a template that I'll make.

Once I have the basket and brackets figured out I'll cut and bend the sides and attach them before making a final decision on the fog light locations, then it'll be off to chrome.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Alfie623
I'm subscribed!  But as you know, I have one of these bumpers.  However, I'd like to inset lights as well, so I'm following along.

And, here's my bracket.  But mine has an arm your doesn't have - and I think should.  In any event, what measurements do you need?

Here's why - that arm goes forward and braces the front of the bumper:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
Gary,

I think I'm good on measurements right now until I get the bracket material which may be tomorrow.  

If there is an easy way for you to get the angle that bent in the lower portion of the bracket that would help.  

As for the strut support, I don't disagree with you and more than likely I'll have a support there.  You'll see as the build progresses that I'll build each step one at a time.  I'm giving myself a good 6 months to get this built and ready for chrome.  

I wish I could find some 6"x4" KC driving lights, it seems that KC only builds rounds lights these days.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary,

I made my template tonight for the brackets and found that I would like to know the measurements in these photos.  

Each line is a straight line. Orange is the height of the wing.  Green is the depth of the horizontal base plate from the frame to front edge of the bracket.  Purple is the width from the outside of the frame rail to the inside edge of the bracket.  

Thanks for any help you can give me.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not sure if I'm getting out to the shop tomorrow, but if not will do it on Wednesday.  And I'm including your pics, in a much smaller scale, so I can get my head around them.  Oh, and I'll measure the angle of the break.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
How do I get my pictures to post smaller like that?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The FAQ's (Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's in the menu) explains how to do image sizing, to some extent.

But, here's what I did on yours, with the <> left off the front and back so you can see the code:

nabble_img src="IMG_3678.jpeg" border="0" style="float:left; margin:.4em;"width="47%"/
nabble_img src="IMG_3677.jpeg" border="0" style="float:right; margin:.4em;"width="47%"/

The style="float:left; margin:.4em;" and the style="float:right; margin:.4em;" come from clicking the Left and Right buttons before inserting the pic.  But the width="47%" I typed in, and that's how I control picture size.

However, by placing one pic left and one right and having that margin of .4 you can't get a width of more than 47% and get them to stay side-by-side.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Your questions:

Orange is the height of the wing: 4 1/2"

Green is the depth of the horizontal base plate from the frame to front edge of the bracket: 7 3/8"

Purple is the width from the outside of the frame rail to the inside edge of the bracket: 8"

Angle of the break at the bottom of the frame: 67 degrees

Angle of the break going across bracket from frame: 77 degrees

And here are the pics of where I took the measurements:

Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
thank you Gary!  

I plan to mock up some of my new pieces shortly after the little guy goes to bed.  Stay tuned
Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
I was able to start mocking some pieces up last night and I’m happy enough with how they look to start cutting and fabricating brackets.  

Here is the 3/8” plate I had bent for the brackets.  It will be cut for the left and right sides and the plate will make both the horizontal and vertical piece of the bracket.

Happy with the bracket angle I’ve moved on to seeing how the basket will rest.  I used the rusty angle iron simply as a guide of where the basket will sit in space.  I’ve decided that the basket should sit about 3/4” lower than seen in these photos but I need to find another, large piece of angle to mock this up because the angle is set as low as I can get it on the frame here.  I also learned that the basket piece isn’t bent squarely so it’ll have to go back in the brake.  I’ll break it again and find some large angle and try this all again in a few days after I get back from a trip.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a great start!    That will be a really neat bumper.

Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
Today I was able to spend some more time on the bumper.   First update is the steel shop bent me a new basket since the first version wasn't square.  This new one is square.  I also took the time to spray all the pieces with primer to help slow down the surface rust.  

Here's the four pieces with primer.  

Before I got into the cutting today I wanted to mock things up again and just double check how it was all going to fit together.  I mocked the basket into position and then placed the winch in the basket to confirm how it would land.  

From here I went to the shop where I could use the plasma cutter to cut the 3/8" steel into the shapes I needed for the brackets that will hold the basket in position.  

After this I went back home and mocked the bracket pieces up on the frame horns.  I'm ready to tack the pieces together but I'm going to take the time to drill the four mounting holes to the frame horns before I tack weld.  It's a lot easier to get the pieces in the drill press without them being welded together.  

Hopefully this week I can finish the holes and tack weld the pieces together.  Once the brackets are complete I'll turn to drilling the basket for the winch and drilling and cutting the fairlead holes.  In a couple of hours I think I can be ready to turn to the sides plates.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It really is looking GOOD, Alfie!

And you are right, drilling is lots easier when the parts are separate.  Good plan.  

And you are going to have it chromed or powder coated?

Reply | Threaded
|

86Tan&Brown
Looking good guys! I'm glad that measurements were able to be figured out. It's too bad I wasn't home recently to get them myself.

Gary, I'm surprised that your bumper has an added reinforcement in the bracketry. I have the same bumper style as you, the only real difference being that mine is multipiece vs your single chrome version. When looking at the instructions, it does not show that, but then again, your bumper may have different installation instructions. Do you have the angle aluminum that sticks out and keeps the wings from moving?

After next week, I'll be home for a week and will be able to attend to the truck. I'll probably get it out and washed! That of course leads to pictures!Who knows, maybe I'll even get the 8274 that came with my bumper working..
1986 F250 460 C6 4x4 XLT Lariat 4.10 Open
Reply | Threaded
|

86Tan&Brown
Also, in regard to the rectangular KC lights you were looking for, why not try a Bosch Profi 210? they take an H3 and were Available from the dealer. I have a set on my bricknose pickup in the clear driving beam (amber was optional) The amber lights on the truck are Cibie 175s which take an H2. Those were pulled off of an E350 ambulance.

The NOS Ford set (also clear driving) will find its way onto my own warn classic sometime in the future.

1986 F250 460 C6 4x4 XLT Lariat 4.10 Open
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Now that's a Bricknose!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86Tan&Brown
Yes, mine does have the braces for the wings.

Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
Gary Lewis wrote
And you are going to have it chromed or powder coated?
My plan is to have it chromed.  I will complete the build and throw a coat of paint on it for now and drive around with it before I send it for chrome.  The chrome costs a lot of money and I want to make sure there isn't anything I want to change before I send it for the bath.