Air compressor - is it still a must have tool?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Air compressor - is it still a must have tool?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Duh!  If that's what Pete meant then .

Yes, my media-blast cabinet does use a bit of air. And powder-coating, and I'm sure painting, needs a properly-prepared surface that really requires media blasting to achieve.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by CountryBumkin
I haven't read the whole thread yet, but I am venturing to say that the Air Compressor is here to stay. Too many good uses for it. I haven't seen a HVLP gun that doesn't use a compressor yet.....

Heck, a compressor is worth having around for blowing up the kids pool and slip-n-slide. Imaging using a hand pump, or your lungs? No thank you.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't use mine a whole bunch, but when I do it is essential.  Couldn't get a bolt out of Huck yesterday as the 300 ft-lb Ridgid battery-powered impact wouldn't budge it.  Could have fired up the compressor and the HF Earthquake 1100 ft-lbs impact would have made short work of either it or the Torx bit.  But, I decided I didn't need that bolt and seatbelt retractor so left it.

Used the compressor the other day to air up the portable air tank to take on my outing.  Good thing I did as one tire on the Malibu was way down.  The tank started at 115 psi and that drew it down to 80.  Tomorrow will be a week and it is still sitting at 80.  

And when I media-blast it is obviously essential.  Brandon's been over several times of late.  And I cleaned up the 460 EFI plenums before I put them away.  Plus, I'm blasting Bill's to-be lower plenum in a few days.

So, an air compressor is a requirement in my shop.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Gary,

Did you ever do a write up on how you set up that compressor under the hood. I have the inline six and the smog pump is gone. Putting a air compressor in its place would be pretty dang cool. Maybe pipe it off somewhere under the cab, to a bumper or between the bed and cab.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, because I've not done it - yet.  I have the compressor and there's a spot on the to-be 460 where it'll fit, so I may do it.  But, I may also cop out and put an electric compressor on board instead.  Would be easier as there's always the oil from the Techumseh to deal with.  We shall see.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
an onboard electric may be more versatile as far as installation and ease goes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  Kinda what I'm thinking.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Id still be curious if there is a way to mount a second compressor on the smog pump bracket or on the bracket above the AC compressor. Heck if you go that far, you could modify a alternator to use a the power behind a stick welder. Then you would have air and welding capabilities. I know overlanders that have welders, air, and hot water systems on their rigs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm going to be using a '95 serpentine belt system off an F450 and it didn't have the smog pumps, so I won't know about using the 2nd pump spot.

As for welding, I plan to not be abusing things to the point of needing a welder.  I hope.

Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
I was looking at the onboard welder set-ups on "overland" vehicles and they're pretty cool. Kind of over my head in terms of electrical know-how but if you are ever way out somewhere by yourself it could come in handy.
There are a couple overland builds I come back to every now and then for their onboard electric features, various lights, communication set ups, onboard air, etc. I use my trucks to get in to town and go to work so I'm not exactly overloading but I do need to be prepared for various circumstances and I don't like having a bunch of jenky tools bouncing around the truck when I'm driving so I'm always scheming on ways to build some of those upgrades into my vehicles.
One cool upgrade I saw on an overland build is a cell-phone signal booster. Apparently it's a big rig trucker thing but it's on my wishlist for sure.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think your post puts a different spin on the original question.  At the time that was questioning whether an air compressor was needed in a shop, not a vehicle.  But to your point about overlanding vehicles, I do think some form of air is a big benefit - but mainly for airing up tires and not for air tools.  I say that because my battery-operated tools are more than adequate for the vast majority of tasks.  In fact, it is rare that I have to turn to my air impact gun.  So I'm happy to take them on my upcoming overlanding trips.

But, I do want onboard air for those trips as well.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Any progress on your tank, Gary?

I was discussing on board air with my friend that bought the motor coach yesterday.
He wants train horns (real Nathan ones) badly.
When I told him they require 150psi and x volume it sent us geeks down a rabbit hole.
*** while I like the deeper sound of the P series, I think he has a point about the K's being even more startling ***

This will get done before he leaves in a couple of weeks.

As energy density and amp hours increase there are less reasons for air tools in the shop.
Paint guns and blasting/blowing/inflation are obvious exceptions.
Fiberglas and body work too. (The abrasive dust eats switches, brushes, commutators and bearings quickly)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No progress on the tank.  I'll get Big Blue running and then tackle that.  But I will have to decide if I'm going with the engine-driven compressor or an electric one before I get to that point.  The engine-driven one will require a serpentine pulley and a bracket made, and doing the bracket and mounting the compressor will be easiest before the radiator support, radiator, grille, etc are installed.

As for fiberglass dust, I've killed several tools with that.  It is awful!