Aftermarket steering columns?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Aftermarket steering columns?

FL86BRONCO
Hello again. I've been chipping away at getting this bronco in better shape than the butcher's had it in when I bought it. My next challenge is going to be the steering column/ignition switch. So right now the lock cylinder has been taken out and they wired a push button box that I'd like to get rid of, bring it back to stock. Since the lock cylinder has been taken out I don't get power to anything that is switched power. the steering column is a tilt column, the turn signal switch feels broken/doesn't work either. Should I try to find an aftermarket solution? Should I rebuild this whole thing? Or just find a decent one from a salvage yard? As always thanks for you guys help, it's very nice to be able to communicate with people who have been tinkering with these things that are willing to share the knowledge they've accrued.
1986 Bronco
351w carb
4x4
4 speed manual
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Aftermarket steering columns?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Can you show us some pics of the column?  What I'm trying to ascertain is if the column itself is broken.  If not, I'd repair it.

As far as I'm aware there isn't anything available aftermarket.  So you are really going to need to fix yours or find another.  And either tilt or fixed will work.  I like the fixed column as there's a part in the tilt columns that breaks if you use the steering wheel to hoist yourself into the truck, which I do all the time.  And that may be why the PO butchered your column as when the part breaks you can't start the vehicle, or can't start it reliably.

The part itself is readily available, so repairing the column isn't that hard if the column's housing isn't broken.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
There are aftermarket custom columns, hot rodders use them in custom builds. Problem is they are essentially a GM column, meaning nothing as far as keys, wiring etc. matches Ford parts.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FL86BRONCO
In reply to this post by FL86BRONCO
I'm on the road the next two days but I'll get the pictures for you guys, it definitely was a lot of vertical movement in the column. How far apart does it need to be for you to know from the pictures.
1986 Bronco
351w carb
4x4
4 speed manual
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Vertical movement in the column itself?  Or in the steering wheel?  Maybe take a short video to show us what is going on?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FL86BRONCO
It's where the the column is supposed pivot from the best a can tell. That's where it's got the vertical play.
1986 Bronco
351w carb
4x4
4 speed manual
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Maybe you can measure the play and someone else can tell us if that is normal.  But from my memory Big Blue's only moved 1/4" or so there.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
Hello . The tilt column is definitely rebuildable. I have done a few. Yes the tilt column has a couple weak links one being the ignition switch interconnect link. Its made from a cast alloy , probably zinc.  If they break you can get a no start situation. The other is the roller bearings. Either way when you disassemble the column and reassemble it there is a sequence that i can do but not sure i could describe unless i was doing one. It may be best if one could be found at a salvage yard. I passed on two found last month.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I seem to remember a project thread where someone drilled out the pivots in the tilt column and used different bolts to take that vertical slop out.

Was is Weberman?
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
It was firefire and the fixing Eddie project!

I can’t copy the link on my iPad for some reason, but t isn’t on page 7 and the post is dated:

Jun 16, 2021; 2:06pm

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well spotted, as your countrymen would say.  And, he was talking to you.  

But it took me a bit to find it as I forgot you are on the West Coast and there wasn't a post time stamped 2:06.  However, I found it at 4:06.  

And copying a permalink on an iPad takes persistence.  But 'tis easy of a real computer.  

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Fixing-Eddie-tp84683p99181.html

And how he actually did it is in this post: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Fixing-Eddie-tp84683p99181.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Indeed!

I should have mentioned PST!

Thanks for the clean up. The permalink just wouldn’t copy on the iPad.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
FL86BRONCO wrote
...the turn signal switch feels broken/doesn't work either. Should I try to find an aftermarket solution? Should I rebuild this whole thing? Or just find a decent one from a salvage yard?
I realize that I was probably lucky...  I have look for parts/repair solution when last July I found a bran new OEM column on eBay (no tilt).  Wasn't cheap (around 300$) but, wow! it is SO comfortable to drive straight without having to roll the wheel left and right as if preparing a pizza dough.

About the turn signal, I had success disassembling it, major cleanup and reassemble it.  Works like a new assy.  Quite precise and delicate job, but it was worth the effort.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Nice find! That looks like the “intermediate shaft” that goes between the steering box and the upper “tilt” part of the column. The rag joint on there is probably in good shape and cleared up the steering slop.

Borg make them new without the rag joint, I have one and it works well. It does not really delay with the vertical slop in the upper tilt column or the worn gears in the steering box.

"Eylza Dual-little"