classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Advice for Smog Removal Components

Machspeed
Administrator
Hope not to be a bother....newbie here asking a ton of questions. Know that I do appreciate your input, though.

The guy at Oreilly's tried to sell me an intake manifold gasket set with a valley pan gasket. It's been a long time, but I don't recall my truck having such a thing. I do recall installing them on some old 351 Cleveland's years ago, but not a Windsor. Anyway, I declined the pan and went with Felpro MS90361. I understand the purpose of that valley pan and wondering now if I should have gone with it?

That aside, I've attached a couple of photos below. There is a dead end hole drilled in both heads above the EGR ports. I stuck a screw driver in there and it goes nowhere. What is the purpose of these? Also, I doubt it is an issue but note how it is opened up above my intake gasket.  

Thanks!

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know the purpose of that hole.  And I've not seen a Windsor with a valley pan.  M-Block and 460 yes, but not Windsor.  Maybe I've missed them?

As for thermostat temp, the listing from the Master Parts Catalog are on this page: Documentation/Cooling Systems/Thermostats.  Out of twenty one listings there are two 197's and one 195, with all the rest being 192.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
In reply to this post by Machspeed
The 351w does not have a valley pan gasket, just the 351C/M and the 400 and 460. You got the correct gaskets. As for those holes, I have no clue ether.

Do your self a favor, put a dab or small bead of silicone in the corners where the rubber gaskets accrost the top of the block meet the gaskets on the head.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Yep but I would recommend using some black RTV as it is made for oil.  I have a tube of black RTV I will be using for mine, will run a bead along the front and back of the block and a spot in the corners where the intake gasket meets.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I would throw the China wall gaskets right in the trash and run a high bead of 'The Right Stuff' across the front and back of the valley.
Let it tack up a bit before torquing the intake down.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Thats what I will be doing.  At work boss wants us to sit the intake down while its still wet and let it ooze out.  What I want to do is the way you are supposed to.  I want to run a bead and softly sit the intake down and start the bolts then let it cure over night then torque it in place this way it actually will work like a gasket.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That’s the way I do it. I use studs to make sure the intake goes down straight, start all the bolts and snug them down.  Come back the next and torque them down.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I would throw the China wall gaskets right in the trash and run a high bead of 'The Right Stuff' across the front and back of the valley.
Let it tack up a bit before torquing the intake down.
Intake kit came with cork gaskets, which will not be used. I learned my lesson on that a long time ago!  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Cork?

I don't think I've seen that in forever.

What gasket set did you get????
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Cork?

I don't think I've seen that in forever.

What gasket set did you get????
Yeah, I know. Gasket set is Felpro MS90361. But, I'm not even a fan of the rubber gaskets.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Which is why I use "the right stuff"
 Jim,