AOD Slip Yoke Insertion Distance or Depth (For any trans, really)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AOD Slip Yoke Insertion Distance or Depth (For any trans, really)

Rembrant
Gents,

I soon have to have a custom drive shaft made, and in order to measure the length, I need to know how far to insert the slip yoke into the tail of the transmission. The slip yoke I have is not original to the transmission, but it's supposedly out of a '98 F150 2wd with a 4.2L, so I'm assuming it was either an M5OD 5spd or another 4R70W like the one I'm installing in my truck. Anyway, that doesn't matter.

There's a rust line on the yoke so I know where the travel ended, but I don't know how much that travel was. I'm guessing between a 1/2" and 3/4"??

This truck will be sitting fairly low, with a pretty limited suspension travel...and it will never be used to haul any weight in the bed other than the odd lawn chair or duffle bag.

Anybody know what that should be?

Or if you happen to have a 2wd with an AOD, how much of the exposed slip yoke is shiny?? lol.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AOD Slip Yoke Insertion Distance or Depth (For any trans, really)

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know the answer to the question, but I think I'd determine the maximum depth it can be and put it at 1/2 that when the truck is sitting on the ground.  Then I'd lift the truck up and see where that puts it to make sure there's plenty of engagement - although you shouldn't be transmitting much power when at full droop.  And then assume that the distance it moves from full droop to sitting on the ground is what it would do in full compression and see if there is enough range of movement for that.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
In reply to this post by Rembrant
The only data point I have on that situation is when I have had custom driveshafts made, the driveshaft guy told me to push the yoke in all the way, pull it out an inch, then take the u-bolt center to center measurement. So far, that has worked out ok.

I could see if you have a truck that sits way up high with a big angle on the drive shaft, and then you dump a ton of rocks in the bed, it might compress the suspension enough to bottom the yoke and cause a problem. But that's not my truck, and it doesn't sound like it's yours either.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Excellent info guys, thanks.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Pete Whitstone
Pete Whitstone wrote
The only data point I have on that situation is when I have had custom driveshafts made, the driveshaft guy told me to push the yoke in all the way, pull it out an inch, then take the u-bolt center to center measurement. So far, that has worked out ok.

I could see if you have a truck that sits way up high with a big angle on the drive shaft, and then you dump a ton of rocks in the bed, it might compress the suspension enough to bottom the yoke and cause a problem. But that's not my truck, and it doesn't sound like it's yours either.
Yep thats how I was told to do it from the drive shaft shop.
Weight on the suspension, in all the way and pull out 1 inch and measure.
If I did seat to seat on the joints I told the shop the same they then could figure it out from there.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I did this two weeks ago. I had my driveshaft cut down. I inserted the yoke all the way in then measured how much was needed to be removed in order for the rear u joint to make it into the pinion yoke. it happened to be 1"clearance that was needed. same results but measured a different way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matt - Was the truck on the ground or on stands?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
sitting on the ground with weight on the frame to simulate a load. "Compressed range of motion".
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator