AC wiring issue now!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AC wiring issue now!

El Chapo
Hey out there these wires got tangled up in the fan blade apparently it was unplugged and moved while working on other things. Can you tell me where these wires end up/ get plugged into the connection to the canister is there see picture, but don’t know where the other end goes to or even what the connectors look like. Is this harness available I’ll need to replace or reman one with the right connectors. Thx🤦🏽‍♂️Cut ac harness
86 Bronco XLT “La Bronkita” Tow/light pkg. 302/EFI, BW1345
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AC wiring issue now!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oops, posted before I was done.  

That switch is the Clutch Cycling Pressure Switch in the schematic below, and the LG/P wire goes back into the cab to the A/C controls and the BK/Y wire goes on to the compressor.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Thank you is that harness available somewhere do you know the part number or at least the connectors?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know the part number of the harness nor the connectors.  But you should be able to splice yours back together.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I dont know if the 81 AC harness is the same as yours or not, I am thinking not but .........
So first the 81/ 300 six harness for AC is a plug & play to a non-AC truck.
On a non-AC truck IIRC the blower motor wiring behind the dash is plugged together to work the blower motor.
You unplug this connection and plug in the AC harness and a wire or to to the HVAC control IIRC and the rest go out thru the firewall  to the low PSI switch, carb kicker switch and the compressor.

Now why I say not is the early & later model compressors use different plugs and I think between six & v8 the compressors are in different placed? Also I dint know what EFI and non-EFI would do for the kicker going to the carb like on mine to raise the idle when the AC is on?

So as Gary said it mine be best to fix what you have unless you can find a harness for a truck just like yours year & motor size.
I know you can get the compressor pig tail for the later ones as I had to get one as I am using a later compressor and 2 wire clutch (power & ground). The 81 york compressor was a barrel type plug and the clutch grounded thru the body of the unit.

The carb kicker wire has a spade plug on it to fit the solenoid on the carb.
I dont have a solenoid (yet but have not been looking) so the wire just hangs out in the engine bay for now.
Hope that helps a little.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Thank you guys a friend helped me figure out my ac wiring issues looks like the previous owner had bypassed the switch and had relays and was running it in a single speed. So now my issue is that it’s blowing air mostly through the top of the dash like in defrost mode and very little is coming out the vents. As I move the lever control back and forth it doesn’t seem to have any effect. I checked vacuum lines and from I can see they are ok and in place. Any suggestions?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The system defaults to Defrost w/o vacuum.  So my guess is that something in the illustration below is disconnected or broken.  The vacuum hoses shown as 17A543 need to be connected, and it isn't unusual for the one going through the grommet at the firewall is broken.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
there is a simple method that ford used containing a circuit of vacuum operated motors (diaphragm type) which gets controlled through a vacuum switch in the dash control panel. the switch in the control panel gets vacuum from the engine off of a tee on the firewall connected to the intake manifold. i know i said simple but after you study it a little you will get it . if any part is disconnected the vacuum loss will allow the motors to relax into their "normally off" position the same way a relay relaxes when de-energized.
that said look over all vacuum hoses from intake to firewall and you will notice one which is about 1/8"-3/16"that enters the cab through a flex conduit along with some wires entering above the factory ac box close to the heater core hoses. that is the one feeding control vacuum to the switch. obviously if this change happened after working on something, focus on the area you were working in. next if you did not work on any part in the dash then its possible the vacuum switch has deteriorated. but if it was working before then its most likely a mishap that you can find easily. 40 year old plastics are very fragile!
Reply | Threaded
|

El Chapo
Wow you guys are rock stars!! Know your stuff I probably would have given up on this retirement project and gone back to woodworking. And it was as y’all have pointed out broken line on the firewall I must have done that while doing other things maybe I get so focused that I forget that everything is easily broken in a near 40 year old car. Again thank you thank you both Gary & Mat. I would love to meet you guys someday in real life. Peace… Steve “ el Chapo” Ps good timing it’s gonna be 100 degrees later in the week here 🥵
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
El Chapo wrote
Wow you guys are rock stars!! Know your stuff I probably would have given up on this retirement project and gone back to woodworking. And it was as y’all have pointed out broken line on the firewall I must have done that while doing other things maybe I get so focused that I forget that everything is easily broken in a near 40 year old car. Again thank you thank you both Gary & Mat. I would love to meet you guys someday in real life.
Peace… Steve “ el Chapo”
Ps good timing it’s gonna be 100 degrees later in the week here 🥵
Dont feel to bad I was also working in the engine bay and the HVAC was working 1 min. and not the next
I started checking for vacuum and had it up to the firewall in the engine bay but not inside the truck?
After an hour of checking I found the plastic line broke as it went thru the rubber grommet.
Had a heck of a time trying to push a rubber hose thru to get vacuum to the HVAC controls.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
The system defaults to Defrost w/o vacuum.  So my guess is that something in the illustration below is disconnected or broken.  The vacuum hoses shown as 17A543 need to be connected, and it isn't unusual for the one going through the grommet at the firewall is broken.

Gary do we have a part number for the Tee check valve 19A563?
The ones I have picked up from the parts stores dont seam to work because every time I am on the throttle it goes from AC vents to defrost.

Thanks
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Dave, I have some single line ones that could be used with a tee. Before I would condemn them, I would check for leaks, pull a vacuum on the line going to the inside and see if (a) you can get a vacuum and (b) hold it for at least several minutes.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
85lebaront2 wrote
Dave, I have some single line ones that could be used with a tee. Before I would condemn them, I would check for leaks, pull a vacuum on the line going to the inside and see if (a) you can get a vacuum and (b) hold it for at least several minutes.
I do think the HVAC switch is a issue a little.
If I go from say defrost to MAX AC it will not move the doors but if I go from defrost to Normal AC and let the doors move then to MAX it will go.
But I also found when on MAX even less throttle make the door move back to defrost so I been leaving it on normal AC and been working just fine.

I also have a heater core vacuum valve and that could be part of the problem and it dose not work when on normal AC

I have not had time or its been to hot to look into this deeper.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
especially here in the south. i have seen vac switches with the amber plate bowed up and away from the black main housing creating an internal vacuum leak. these too are fragile when 40 years old
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Yes, we have part numbers: D7OZ 19A563-A from the page at Documentation/HVAC/HVAC Systems.  So it looks like we are using a part that was engineered in 1977 and was used on the cars as well as the trucks from then to at least 1989, so should be easily found in a salvage.

Our truck MPC doesn't say what the Motorcraft part number is, but the 1973-79 car MPC says it is YG-193 and Amazon has those for $10.  However, they look a bit different from those on our trucks, so if originality is an issue...