AC compressor question?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AC compressor question?

FuzzFace2
Guys I looked in to why my AC stopped working the other day and from what I found wiring to / from compressor, through the PSI switch, is good so that leaves only 1 thing bad clutch!

I have not looked into this other than posting here but I am sure you can replace just the clutch but .....
Is there any special tools needed and do you have to evac the system?
Anything else I should look out for or do when I do this?
FYI everything in the system is new other than the compressor & evap coil but all has been working up till a day ago. 

Thanks for any information you can give.
​​​​​​​Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AC compressor question?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
On some systems I've worked on there's a removal tool that screws into the clutch hub and then pushes the clutch off the shaft of the compressor.  And there's no need to evac the system - at least not on the ones I've worked on.

But, have you tried placing 12v directly to the clutch?  Just to make SURE it is the clutch that isn't working?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
I wouldn’t change the clutch without checking pressures.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I agree with Gary, confirm 12V at the coil feed. These systems have a pressure switch for cycling the compressor clutch and low Freon levels will keep it open.

The York and Tecumseh two cyl. ones use a 5/8-11 bolt to push the clutch off the shaft. If yours has the brush feed for a rotating coil, the entire assembly comes off at that point. Fixed coils are held on with 4 bolts after the rotating assembly is removed.

The FS6 introduced in 1985 is a bit different. The clutch plate is held on by a small bolt, the pulley is held on the compressor snout with a big snap ring. It has a beveled cross section that requires the bevel to be away from the bearing. The actual coil on these is pressed on the front head of the compressor. It can be removed by carefully prying between the compressor front head and the back of the coil. I reinstall them with a 2X4 with a hole big enough for the compressor snout to fit through so I can seat it with a large hammer.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I'll third that... mine had corrosion at the inline flyback diode which was keeping my clutch from getting power. Had to resolder all of it.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Sorry I did not up date.
The system still has pressure because after I had the plug for the PSI switch jumped out checking for power at the compressor plug and then checking the ground side of the harness I plugged the PSI switch back in and had power at the compressor plug.

So power in & out of the PSI switch (system charged) all the way to the compressor and the ground from compressor back is good also.
So I cant see anything else but a bad coil to keep th the AC from working.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100