classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

AC Hoses

Machspeed
Administrator
I purchased all new lines for my AC and two of the three (Suction Hose and Liquid Line) are not correct. I got these through AZ and they are exactly what Rock Auto lists for my truck as well. I recall this being a topic of much discussion some time back but am not able to locate it. Anyone familiar with this?

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: AC Hoses

86 1/2 Brutus
I'm backkkk.   Something was calling me back here.  Remember i'm the one who had the ac hose fiasco.  I did a write up on it.  ill search through my posts
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/4-seasons-AC-hoses-The-Correct-ones-82-thru-86-Factory-AC-tp72915.html
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Brutus's AC is still blowing nice and cold here in the blazing Louisiana heat.  If you need any help, give me a shout.  Remember, only 80% r134a in the system.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
Welcome back, Kotter!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Gary.  Funny choice of words.    My mom went to the school where that show took place, and the street they show in the beginning is the street she lived on
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Small world!  So you knew quite well what I was referring to.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
yes sir
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Yep, that's the thread I was looking for! I even commented on it....lol! I have the manual shut off valve so from your research, looks like my needed suction line needs to be 55880 versus the 55875 that was ordered for me.

I seem to have no issues with the discharge line ordered for me.

The liquid line where it attaches to the condenser is where I'm having a small issue. I've taken pictures for better explanation, but essentially the old hose has a rotating connector and an adaptor. My new hose merely has protruding male threads. I guess I need to source some kind of adapter but I hate that. Thoughts?

Thanks George!

John

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
John.  like i said above, something just made me come to the forum this morning.  I really do miss you guys and have to make time.  Things have just been crazy around here and is just one thing after another after another.

OK, i went down the road of trying to find an adaptor for the hose which i never was able to find, not to mention the fact that i wasn't exactly happy about yet another connection in an ac system.  If you are able to, return the hose, or if you are like i was and waited to long, you are stuck with another hose.  you want it, you can have Stereo, LOL.

If you want to get the correct hose, tell whoever is looking up the part, or if you are going to use rockauto.  use 1984 F150 with 4.9.  It is going to give you 2 options, choose the one that states
FOUR SEASONS 55782 {#19191653, 89001756, E4TZ19837B} Hose Assembly Info
w/o Orifice Tube; In Plant Charged System, w/o Manual Shut-Off Valve at Compressor

I've contacted 4 seasons several times about this, but obviously they never corrected the problem.
In all my years in car parts, this has to be the worst mistake i've ever seen, and believe me, there are many many mistakes

notice it says without oriffice tube, and no manual shut off valve at compressor.   All Factory ac systems used an orifice tube after 82, and the liquid line has absolutely nothing do do with the valves at the compressor.  Every liquid line for any Ford F series truck from 82 through 86 is the exact same, so is the evaperator and the copndensor, they are all the same.

If you decide to go the rout of trying to find an adaptor, I wish you luck and let me know if you do

just an added note, you know i did my entire system from brand new, the evap was a few years old, i found it on ebay years ago new old stock,  i flushed it out just to play it safe.  
When i oiled up the system, i used the oil that i used had ICE32 in it.  I'm not sure if its the oil or not, but this ac blows colder then the ac in my crown vic and am not running any electric fans.

Let me know if you need anything
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
George, it's good to have you back. I do get it though, life can take us away from many things. Some, are very important things too.

As for returning things, no problem. I have a very good relationship with the Mgr at AZ. Heck, I walk in there and they always greet me by my first name, all of them.....LOL! The Mgr is also a huge Bullnose Fan, having had one in his youth. Keeps asking me how much I would want for mine.

He ordered me the correct suction line as listed by you....#55880. He also scrolled through and did some searching and may have found a liquid line that will work. I'll post on it when it comes in.

Thanks again, George!    
John

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Good deal John.  As long as the liquid line is the same number as i stated, you are all set.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Jeez, why can't I be like Forrest Gump where good shizza happens. I don't know what the deal is but I have hit every road block I could possibly hit in the minor resto of my truck. Working on the AC now and finding the correct hoses for this thing has been one of the biggest hassles ever. Ordered all three hoses from AZ. Of the three, only one fit. Got one figured out through George, but the suction line eludes me. Per George recommendation, ordered Four Season 55880, thought for sure it would fit and it does screw on but guess what happens when I close the hood? Fitting that goes into the dryer is too long! Fitting that goes into the compressor is a little short.

John

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Your setup looks the same as mine.  I'm looking at the pics and this makes no sense

Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus

Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
The only issue i had was the liquid line.  the other hose issue that i had was the fact that i orderred one for with manual shut off valve and i did not have a manual shut off valve.  The hose did fit, but was to short and the hood would hit it.  I had another fs6 compresser that had the shut off valve, so i swapped manifolds and was able to use the hose.

Have you gotten anywhere with this yet?
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
In reply to this post by Machspeed
John.  did you ever get the AC straight?
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
86 1/2 Brutus wrote
John.  did you ever get the AC straight?
Not exactly. I'm probably just going to go with my old suction line. I found a website that I think has what I need, but that line is around $125 with shipping and the guy swears it won't fit. That, despite having the correct measurements and a gentleman at FTE confirming that it does fit. Basically, the seller won't take it back if for some reason it does not fit. Somebody screwed up years ago when they were making parts for our trucks. Thanks George!
John

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Not a problem John.  Let me know how it turns out.  
Nick and George
Owned since new