50 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A new tool

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There are many formulations of Nylon.
Different properties and TG temperatures.

One thing to keep in mind is that they are all hygroscopic. (Like the welding flux discussed above)
Nylon needs to be dry, or the moisture will flash to steam when in the head causing all kinds of problems.

It seems 'Nylon' filament is usually extruded at 260-270C,  and I don't know if Bill's printer is capable of that.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thank you for capitalizing "Nylon".  As an ex-DuPont employee I should have done so as well.  

But I didn't realize it is hygroscopic.  That would be a problem when heating it above 212.  Is storing it in a zip-lock bag sufficient or does it have to be in heated storage?

I was fairly up to speed on 3D printing a couple of years ago, but haven't followed it since so I'm sure there have been many, MANY advancements in printers and material in that time.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I guess that would depend on how permeable the bag is???
Maybe a Mylar Ziploc bag would be better than PE? IDK

Dessicant in the bag would surely help.
Vacuum or "oven" like the light bulb storage of welding rods couldn't hurt.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The software with the printer does allow for different materials and heat levels. I joined a FB users group so I can ask further questions there.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So, what else have you made?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe we ought to start a CAD/3D thread in the tools subforum?

Anything related to code or equipment to execute it could be included.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good idea!  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
A little widget called a Hilbert_Cube_a which is a complex bunch of various angles. I will get a picture of it sometime. The software gives 3 levels of build, fast, standard and fine I think is the other. Apparently the speed and layer thickness are the variables it does have a temperature setting and material tabs. I do have some ABS along with the PLA filament.

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Bill,

Have you read anything on vapor polishing your printed objects?
This was a 'thing' when consumer filament printers first came out, but I don't know if it still is.

Another suggestion might be using a vibratory case polisher to burnish your prints.
Seems a lot safer than having a simmering chamber of acetone in the house.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Everyone needs a good setup like that. Its on my list of things to get. So far I haven't run into needing to cut anything a cut-off wheel and a grinding can't handle. But the heat would be nice for loosening the rusty stuff. All I have at the moment is propane.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed