A friends complaint: brakes are not great

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A friends complaint: brakes are not great

Gsmblue
My friend has a 1987 F350 6.9 IDI. He was complaining his brakes were underwhelming and there was some oil on the rear passenger hub.

He hauls a 3 horse gooseneck with this truck.

As I am on “vacation” I said i could look at it for/with him. Oh boy do I regret that! 10 hours 4 trips to the auto stores and i finally got him back on the road.

This is a pic of what was supposed to be the good side..

Ended up doing bearings, seals and brake pads on the rear. I told him to order new drums ASAP and get those on..

I have urged him to do the front axle ASAP. But not on my vacation time!! Kidding, he is a great friend and I will help him.

I now know how to tackle a 10.25 rear end and my friend will be much safer taking his wife and horses camping this weekend.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A friends complaint: brakes are not great

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That view is not entirely new to me.  🤮
Surprised they hadn't noticed the wet backing plate long before it got to that.

At least it wasn't the pinion seal!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
That's one way to contain all of that nasty brake dust I'm always so concerned about when pulling drums LOL.

You're a darn good friend I would say. Well done.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  What a good friend!  

I think I kinda know how those brakes felt from two experiences.  My father bought a late 50's Chevy pickup with a hot small block in it and a 4 speed auto tranny.  That thing would surprise a lot of people at the stoplights, but it stopped horribly.  When we pulled the rear drums we found the PO had packed them full of grease to keep the parking brake mechanism from rattling as it wasn't even hooked up.

But that grease had migrated to the shoes and we really didn't have brakes back there.  So if a front-braked pickup w/o a trailer was that bad I don't want to imagine what one with a horse trailer behind it was like.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Those drum brakes are such a pain. The springs are a nightmare.

But we got it all sorted out and he is in a much safer vehicle now!

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Does his truck have the load adjuster on it?  The one on Big Blue wasn't operating correctly and the rear brakes weren't being applied very strongly.  Even with a loaded trailer on I could lock the front brakes and not the rear.

I took the adjuster out and it made a big difference in the braking.  Now I can lock all four.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Considering all the other things  did, I'll bet he violated the warnings regarding taking the arm off the load sensing valve. If so, I am pretty sure he didn't have the setting gauge.

That's why when I swapped rear axles in Darth, I took the bracket off the axle and swung everything up, out of the way until the "new" axle was in place, then re-attached the bracket.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
I don’t know what the load adjuster  is or where it is.

The rears do lock up, we did some late night brake tests.

The parking brake works now. My friend has had this truck for 4 years and it has never worked before.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
What a great job.  Mine on one side looked like that but not as bad.

As I noted on my thread, (my axle is a float) but I redid the hubs and bearings, and new seals.  And new parking brake cables.

After that, my rear brakes locked up for a time, and have now settled, and have not locked up in months.  

Cheers!
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If the rear brakes are locking up then maybe the "brake load proportioning valve" is working properly.  It is designed to vary the amount of pressure going to the rear brakes based on the load in the truck, as determined by the distance from the axle to the frame.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And a gooseneck places the weight pretty much right above the axle.

I'm glad I have a pressure valve on my master cylinder.
So Deren's friends 87 should too.
But IDK about Bricknose dually's if they ever had a load valve.

Bill probably would, because Darth is an amalgam of many years.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
My friend dropped by just now. He reports the truck is braking perfectly, no issues. He gave me this as a thank you for helping.

I am definitely getting use out of that on my gravel driveway!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  You are a good friend, and you have a good friend!  

Let us know how that jack works out.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
We all help each other, right. 😎

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
It is nice to have a fiend like you and one like him.

Besides looking at the front brakes I would also look at the trailer brakes as they are hardly ever looked at.
He dose have trailer brakes right?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100