classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A Bit Of Help Testing New Forum?!?!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hey folks, Pedro has gotten https working on the AWS servers so we are extremely close to being able to migrate to them.  However, I am having a log-in problem and would like some of you to test and see if you have the same problem.

The problem is that if I use Chrome and go directly into the forum on the AWS servers I can log in successfully.  But if I click on the link in the menu to New Bullnose Test Forum, which goes to the forum embedded on the website, I'm not logged in and cannot log in.  But if I use Firefox I can log in.

So could some of you do some testing?  You can post or do whatever you want on the New Bullnose Test Forum as it'll get replaced with this forum when we migrate.  So you can see if email notifications work, or whatever.

THANKS!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A Bit Of Help Testing New Forum?!?!

Machspeed
Administrator
Using Microsoft Explorer at work and can't log into the test forum.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - Thanks.  That's using the embedded one?  Meaning you see a bullnose in the browser tab?  (You'll see an "N" if you are going directly in.)

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Directly, with the N, I was able to log in. On the other link I was already logged in when I went there.

iPad, using Safari.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Dane.  That's good news.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Having said that, I cannot log into the embedded forum with my iPhone X with Safari, Edge, or Chrome.  

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Gary Lewis wrote
Hey folks, Pedro has gotten https working on the AWS servers so we are extremely close to being able to migrate to them.  However, I am having a log-in problem and would like some of you to test and see if you have the same problem.

The problem is that if I use Chrome and go directly into the forum on the AWS servers I can log in successfully.  But if I click on the link in the menu to New Bullnose Test Forum, which goes to the forum embedded on the website, I'm not logged in and cannot log in.  But if I use Firefox I can log in.

So could some of you do some testing?  You can post or do whatever you want on the New Bullnose Test Forum as it'll get replaced with this forum when we migrate.  So you can see if email notifications work, or whatever.

THANKS!
I just clicked on the New Bullnose Test Forum link in your email, and my login info and pwd did not work. I use two non-Goolag Chrome browsers. One is called Dissenter and the other is Brave. I keep Firefox around here somewhere but have not had to use it for many months now, maybe a year. My generic Chrome browsers work even for banking and financial sites now.  I'll try from Firefox ... stand by please ...
operators are sitting by ... don't touch that dial ... brought to you by Mutual of Omaha ... and now our muscular assistant Steve is going to update Firefox then wrestle this huge alligator for us ... whoops, bye Steve ... somebody call a funeral home ...

Yes it works from Firefox only.  I posted a message.

Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, a bunch!  You are running on Windows 10?

And, I see your posts.

Folks, I really need your help trying different things.  For instance, Dane's iPad and Safari works, but it doesn't work on my wife's iPad with either Safari or Chrome.  So I need to know what works and what doesn't so I can find the common denominators.

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
We're all on W10 v1903 in our house. I use an exe that locks the registry against automatic updates.

A friend from my software past quit his cushy MS job and went private consultant after fighting their idea to censor in real time what you may type.  That's coming down the pike one of these years soon. No more hate words allowed, oh for joy.

We'll stay on v1903 as long as possible, then go to a Linux flavor.  Do we have users on Linux already? We have one old server but it does not go on the web, just serves backup.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Hi,
Tried to login from:
MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra/Intel Mac): Safari, Chrome, Firefox = No login success
MacOS 11.6.1 (Big Sure/M1 Mac):  Safari, Chrome = No login success
iOS 14.8.1 (iPhone 12 Mini):  Safari, Chrome, Firefox = No login success
iOS 14.4.2 (iPad Pro): Safari, Chrome, Firefox = No login success
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Always getting same message:

Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, this version of the forum is from July - prior to you joining.  So it doesn't know about you!  Register and I'll approve your membership and then you can test.  I'd use the same credentials as you have here.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Haha!  This explains that!
I suspected something that kind...

I'll redo the test.  As you understand, there's a lot of Apple systems around me.  We'll see how they interact with the new server.
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
  But if I click on the link in the menu to New Bullnose Test Forum, which goes to the forum embedded on the website, I'm not logged in and cannot log in.  But if I use Firefox I can log in.

THANKS!
I just tried logging in via the link above, and it recognizes my password, but doesn't say that I'm logged in. Furthermore, I noticed upon clicking on individual threads, it won't open any of them. I can open the different subsections, but individual threads do nothing. I'm not sure if that's related or not. I'm running Microsoft Edge on Windows 10.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Shaun - Thanks.  It wouldn't show the threads to me either.  So I backed out a change I'd made and it does now.  Please give it another try - after refreshing your browser.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Still doesn't show my login, but it does allow me to view threads now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that's what I see as well.  Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
I gave a try with more recent Firefox version (v95.0):  Login success, but can't go anywhere else.

BUT, this is also the case for all other browsers, seems that anything goes today!  From any of them (Chrome, Firefox, Safari):
- "Not embedded" test site:  Any button opens a 404 error page.
- Embedded test site:  Buttons do not react, but if I "force" to open in a new window, I obtain the same 404 message:

Well, bad day for the new site!
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Time for an update.  I think I found another problem.  

Thinking that the domain name might be part of the problem I changed the domain name on the test forum to "forum.bullnoseenthusiasts.com".  And what that means is that the straight-in access to the forum on the AWS servers won't work, but the embedded version will.

HOWEVER, not only can I not log in via anything but Firefox, I can't read any threads.

They say it is darkest before the dawn.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Ships, night.  I was testing by redirecting everything to the embedded forum.  That killed your ability to go straight in, and also seems to prevent you from doing anything if you get in, like via Firefox.