86 F150 straight six TFI to HEI

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

86 F150 straight six TFI to HEI

tanman
I’ve posted about my TFI module failing multiple times when it gets too hot. I am planning several changes to the engine and will be starting with the ignition. I will be installing the DUI distributor.

I want to document this for others to learn from my success/ failure.

I have planned out the wiring but I don’t know which wire to “control” the relay. The 12V will come from the factory accessory “yellow” wire next to the brake booster. The fuse and relay will mount to driver inner fender.

86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 86 F150 straight six TFI to HEI

tanman
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by tanman
I think you should use the red wire going to the ignition coil.
The yellow wire is constant power.
How would you turn off the vehicle?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

tanman
This wire is my planned 12V supply. This wire was pointed out in another section of this site “ignition simplification” I think. Thanks to Gary.

86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

tanman
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I can’t clearly see a red wire going to the coil. I assume the coil is that gray thing on the left that looks like a transformer.
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

tanman
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
If you meant the red wire on the relay... it is my understanding that pin 86 switches power from pin 30 to pin 87. I guess 86 should be ignition but that’s way on the other side.
86 F150 4.9  Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think I'd use the White/Light Blue wire that powered the TFI module & coil to pull in the relay.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
tanman wrote
This wire is my planned 12V supply. This wire was pointed out in another section of this site “ignition simplification” I think. Thanks to Gary.

Only thing I would worry using that wire if you dont use one Gary pointed out,
Does it still have power when the key is in the ACC.
If so I would not use it as the HEI will be powered up other than when the key is off.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ooops.  No I meant the red wire that would power the module in a DSII system.

It was my understanding that the basic harness is the same for both DSII & EEC trucks, so I thought the plug with white and red wires would be present.

That wire should have power in both start and run, but not accy.
As Gary points out you could always use the EEC coil power wire as well.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Weberman
On my set up, I bought a super cheap DSII and cut the wires off as close I can to still have a plug in harness. But that is what I did, took the red wire that goes to the module as it has it in crank and run like stated. I actually took it and made it go to a relay, that controls my engine run accessories, like my fuel pump, HEI module, the coil, electric choke, etc. But the TFI coil should have full 12v so you can run it off of there.
1982 Bronco  -  5.8L/C6  -  1406 Edelbrock, Weiand Stealth Intake, Comp XE266, AFR Enforcers
2004 F350 Crew Cab  -  6.0L/ZF6  -  Bulletproofed, tuned SCT X4