classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

86' F-350 IDI Dually

PossumTruck
Greetings everyone,

Chris from Michigan here. I've been slowly restoring a near-free IDI that I traded for several years ago. It has become my favorite toy and my preferred mode of conveyance.

Its a Cab & Chassis truck that spent its working life hauling fluid as a spray truck for a landscaping company.

I've done quite a bit of work on it, and have spent most of my online time at the ford-trucks forum under the same Username. Boy is this site a good resource in comparison (not that FTE is bad, this place is just GREAT).
86 F350, 6.9L manual, Cab & Chassis.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 86' F-350 IDI Dually

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome Chris!
I have a hard time imagining a dually diesel C&C as my favorite transport, but to each their own.  ðŸ™‚

We would love to know what you've done (and what your plans are)

Gary will ask if you want to be on our members map
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by PossumTruck
Welcome Chris
I have seen you over on FTE as I also hang out there too under the same name FF2.

If you want to be on the map just lest us know a zip code.

We do want to know what you have done to the truck.
With pictures or it did not happen
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
PossumTruck wrote
Boy is this site a good resource in comparison (not that FTE is bad, this place is just GREAT).
I fully agree!

Welcome!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

PossumTruck
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
You can add me to the map @ 48854.

Also, how it started:

How its going:
paint cleaned up

I've done all kinds of work to the truck at this point, but they are mostly functional/stuff you cant see. Facet pump, all brakes and bearings, driveshaft joints, leak mitigation, steering linkage and shocks, new seat, manual GPs, other stuff I'm sure I cant remember.

Presently working through clutch hydraulics and a new pedal assembly.

Upcoming: add a tach, valve cover gaskets, new water separator, clutch replacement and rear main, rust remediation and repaint, headache rack, new steering box, rebuild oil cooler, add a key-switched group of circuits and 3g alternator, replace leaf-spring brackets, probably a new IP, all the other stuff im missing/forgetting.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary has some great documentation on how he's installed two power distribution centers in his '85, Big Blue.
And though it's a gasser it's wearing dual batteries so you might have a look for ideas.

I've replaced the spring hangers on my pickup but I'm not certain about part numbers and such for the straight rails and narrower springs of a C&C.

I can see who you like your possum truck so much!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

You are now on the map.

Truck is looking good.  And those are good upgrades you are planning.  But you do know the difference between either a Red Head or a Blue-Top and the run-of-the-mill reman'd ones, right?

Edit: Forgot, but very glad you like the site.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PossumTruck
Thanks Gary, I think I am up-to-speed on the steering box quality stuff, and thanks for the heads up.

I also need to find someone that can bend an I-beam to correct a non-toe imbalance in the alignment (caster, IIRC). I put lighter-duty springs on the front to help with the insane camber I had, but I still have a slight pull from the caster imbalance.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
A real truck shop is who I would try.
Any of the normal shops I tried around me most looked at me like I had 3 eyes when I ask about bending beams. The shop I picked knew if it was off would need to be bent but did not have the equipment to do it and the only reason I went with them.

Mine dose not pull but darts as I think it needs more caster, will not return to center, on both sides but when I get the toe plates I ordered I can check toe.

I have a Blue Top box in my 81 F100 and love it.

Guess you dont need me to find the clutch pedal assy. to check if you have a new set coming do you?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

PossumTruck
Yes sir, its on its way according to ebay. Allegedly shipped via ups, but no tracking number. Its going to be cold again here for the next week, so I can wait patiently. (haha)
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E