'86 F-150 Frame off Resto

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

'86 F-150 Frame off Resto

BoTheBullNose
Hello all, just joined. Me and my son are rebuilding an '86 F-150 RWD and I wondered if there was a certain place that I could go to find hard to find parts? we are doing a frame off restoration and wanting to replace all of the suspension parts. I find some online but most are to either lower or lift the truck and we are trying to stay as close to original look as possible. Thank you for any help you can provide.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: '86 F-150 Frame off Resto

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome to the forum!  Glad you joined.  

However, you may have missed the email I sent you asking you to make your first post in the New Members Start Here folder.  The reason for that is because we house our guidelines there and want you to have had an opportunity to read them since we hold everyone to them.

So please let me know that you've read them before we move on to suppliers.  And don't worry about having missed that, many people do.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BoTheBullNose
Yes sir I did. I just now looked at it and have backed up to that point.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I think you mean you've read the guidelines.  Right?  That's all that is needed as you did introduce yourself in this post.

But I'll ask my perennial question - where's home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.  Maybe someone on here lives close to you and might have the parts you need or vice versa.

As for our go-to places, they would include LMC, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, NPD, etc.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BoTheBullNose
Yes sir I did. I live in New Market, Alabama. Zip code is 35761
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.  

Reply | Threaded
|

BoTheBullNose
Thank you sir!
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Welcome
What parts are you looking for?
You should be able to get factory front coils from the local parts store and I would also look local for rear leaf springs but you can get both on line with a Goggle search.

Any of the wear parts like bushings, ball joints, tie rods, shocks, etc. you can get anywhere between local to Rock Auto and what Gary listed.
I have used all of the above in the 4 year cab off frame rebuild of my 81 F100 flare side and I had king pins not ball joints up front.

I dont see the need to replace the beams unless they are bent and you most likely would not know till it was on the road.
So what are you looking for again?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

BoTheBullNose
The main thing I cannot find are the front knuckle/spindle assemblies that need replaced
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
BoTheBullNose wrote
The main thing I cannot find are the front knuckle/spindle assemblies that need replaced

What is wrong with the ones on the truck?
Unless a bearing chewed it up or got bent, I have not seen that yet, I would reuse what you got.
or
Junk yard find. I think you can go up into the early 90's for them.
I would get beams on out so you have the brake setup and rotors with all needed parts.
New ball joints, brake parts and bolt the beams into your truck and done.

That was the plan on my 81 till I found out the 80 to 82 F100's use different beams on out and I could not use my parts truck front suspension  
They also use kingpins of different sizes, 83> have ball joints.

Also when junk yard hunting keep an eye out for sway bars front & rear if you truck dose not have them.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100