86 Bronco resurrection - let's start with vacuum lines

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

86 Bronco resurrection - let's start with vacuum lines

redbroyer
hello all.  i posted a brief description in my "new member" post about the situation.  short and sweet version is that i have owned this Bronco since 2017, it's been sitting since 2018 because i've been overwhelmed by the vacuum line replacement due to many lines being melted because of a small fire.

i am going to attach some pics and we'll go from there.  as of last evening, the Bronco still had much of the smog stuff on it.  after reading many posts/articles here, much of that has now been removed.  i am trying to get the vacuum lines sorted out with the bare minimum to get it running and moving safely (yes, AC at this point in my life is a 'bare minimum').  i referenced this post (http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-f1i1155) and began pulling stuff.

current situationitems removed so far

regarding the "next to go" part, there appears to be some sort of electrical relay on that bracket.  assuming i can just mount it to the side some place?  Also, the last pic is of some vacuum piece (assuming EGR relates) taken off the back side of the heads.  for those who have removed the smog stuff, what did you use to plug the vacuum holes on the back of the heads after you removed this?

thanks in advance for your assistance.
1986 Bronco 351WHO
not sure of the rest just yet.  :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 86 Bronco resurrection - let's start with vacuum lines

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You've not said what engine you have, but that looks like a Windsor and since it has a 4bbl it must be the 351HO.  And that is good as there's less emissions stuff to remove than if it was the 2bbl version.

That having been said, I'm not sure what the "next to go" stuff is.  But you should be able to move the relay, as you asked.

The thing in your hand is the air manifold that was used to inject air into the exhaust ports.  You can plug the holes in the heads with a very short 5/8" bolt.  I used a copper washer under its head.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

redbroyer
oh my gosh, i forgot to put that......sigh.  yes.  according to the VIN, i have the 351wHO.
1986 Bronco 351WHO
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You should put that in a signature so we won't have to remember, 'cause at 74 my memory isn't what it used to be.  Or, at least I think it used to be better, but I really can't remember for sure.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by redbroyer
I have the same engine. On the line that runs between the two heads, I kept it and capped it off at the top where your hand is. There are plugs you can put in the back of the heads but I'm uncertain about the threads.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The threads are 5/8-11 NC.
Like Gary said you need a very short bolt.  
1/2" long would be about ideal to plug the thermactor crossover holes.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

redbroyer
new update.  took a week off of working on it.  all vacuum lines, minus the necessities, are gone now.  below are the pics.

PXL_20210630_020633938.jpg

PXL_20210630_020638140.jpg 

now, i made a post on another site about my carb and whether or not i needed the fuel line to connect the front fuel input to the back fuel input.  i bought one of the split lines, but the issue is that the fuel line comes up on the driver's side of the engine.  the front fuel input on the carb is on the driver's side, but the rear fuel input is on the passenger side.  i believe i can remove the plug on the front passenger side and move the input from drivers side to passenger side, placing the plug in the traditional input.  my question is, can i just use 3/8" fuel line to run a short distance from driver's side to passengers side in front of the carb?  hopefully pics will assist in my description.  lol

disregard the right hand yellow oval.  that's a dummy port.  the left one is the "front" fuel input.

Front_Fuel.jpg

rear_fuel_input.jpg
1986 Bronco 351WHO
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've added your pics for you, but it isn't difficult at all for you to do it.

Anyway, if I understand your question correctly, you are asking if you can run rubber fuel hose from the fuel pump up to the wye fitting that feeds both front and rear bowls on the carb.  Right?

If so, yes you can.  But be aware that fuel hose can get punctured and leak, and a leak there has been the cause of many fires.  I've done it, but I'm careful about the routing to ensure the line won't get rubbed through or have a spark from a plug wire puncture it.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by redbroyer
Edit: Gary beat me to adding the photos
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I have a QF on my 400 and am using a rubber hose across the front like that. As Gary said, not ideal but works. It's in that short length of hose that I have my inline filter also.

I like the SUM-G3120-2 (Summit) fuel line personally. Has the built in filter and pressure gauge. On my 460 I just have this but on the 400 I have this and the inline filter since the tank on it is cruddy.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio