85 Starter switch fitment, what position is the starter switch in with centering wire?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

85 Starter switch fitment, what position is the starter switch in with centering wire?

Don Wollum
Hi Gents,

New to F 150, technician by trade though. Helping friend replace starter switch and new switch has position centering "wire - clip " referencing where the ign key link rod will then fit " referenced " to what position the key is in ( X position ) theoretically the ign key is in one position ( lock / off / run  / start ( crank )

the new fomoco sw does not say what position the wire is "centering: the electrical switch in

so I can then move the ign key - hence the rod - to the corresponding position.

Can I get that bit of information for this indexing procedure?

Main F-150 web site says use "lock" ( where rod is then withdrawn up towards steering whee/ ) and mew

switch - with centering "wire" will line up the hole the rod end needs to engage.

this seems wrong, as with wire out, i push slider towards engine to next click " run" then towards firewall next is spring loaded Crank position.

back at new switch pulling wire out to move slider the rod fits int.. there is on more detente for park/lock

I say the switch comes from manufacture in " off" position, is that where I turn the key to be in the off

position, so rod DOES line up?  
ford install manual information for this setting up MOST welcome. Don  

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 85 Starter switch fitment, what position is the starter switch in with centering wire?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don - Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined.

However, you may have missed Jim’s email that asked you to post an intro in the New Members Start Here folder before posting elsewhere. We do that because we have our guidelines posted there and want to give you every opportunity to read them as we will hold you to them.

So please follow through on that before we get much farther on the ignition switch.

However, check out the page at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition and then the Ignition Switch tab. That has the factory shop manual instructions for installing an ignition switch.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI