85' F150 For Sale - What is she worth

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

85' F150 For Sale - What is she worth

RestorationWorthy
Hi All! New to Forum so I hope this post works right. I am sad to say that I just found this site as I was deciding to sell my 1985 Ford F150XL. I think she deserves a good home and is worth restoring - hence my Username and this post. Considering you are all owners/enthusiasts I would appreciate your opinion on this old girl as I gear up to sell her. I think she deserves better than being a parts depot for another truck but maybe I am wrong so I would appreciate your opinions. My plan is to post to AutoTrader Classic as I do not do Facebook and Craigslist is my fallback but would rather start with Autotrader (and here obviously). So here are some details:
1985 Ford F150 XL 4.9L I6-2WD 4-Speed Manual OD
Mileage:137,500
Obvious wear for age - classified as "Fair" using KBB descriptions
She runs/drives/stops we just don't drive her often
Stored under a carport since we purchased in 2012
New Gas Tank installed 2012
A/C doesn't work
New Cab Headliner
No major rust on truck body (but rust spots on truck bed rear fenders)
Roll-on bedliner over truck bed in 2012
Power Locks and Power Windows Leaks some oil - gaskets and seals haven't been replaced
Tool Box included
Life history in Southeast (VA/AL/TN/NC) Is she "Restoration Worthy" or am I way off base? I'm thinking of asking $3500-4000. Please give honest (but polite) feedback. Tried to add pictures or insert images below but if these don't work I'll ask Mr. Gary and repost.
Thanks ya'll!

Leslie
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 85' F150 For Sale - What is she worth

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Leslie - Glad you joined, but sorry you may be a one-and-done person as you seem quite nice.

Normally I'd give you trouble for missing the email you were sent asking you to post an introduction in the New Members Start Here folder.  We do that because we have the guidelines posted there and want everyone to see them as we hold people to them.  But if you aren't going to stay around then maybe we won't worry about that this time.

On your truck, the pics came through and it looks good.  But I think you might be low on your asking price.  I'm thinking about maybe $5000 as a starting point and not going lower than $4500 or $4000.  An unmolested truck is hard to find, and yours appears to be one thereof.  And it looks to be straight.  So it certainly is RestorationWorth!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by RestorationWorthy
Welcome and very nice truck!
That's a color scheme I've always liked. There's one with the same scheme in the local jy that also has the upper trim.

Definitely a great base for a restoration but I suspect most would consider it a truck to drive, enjoy, and fix problem as they come up. I don't see any rust and the bed, having been used like a truck bed, is the most significant "issue" I see. The lack of visible rust is a huge pro.

It's sad to see but around here Craigslist has really fallen out of favor and not much gets posted there anymore. I can agree with avoiding Facebook but wouldn't hurt to see the condition and asking price of some comparable trucks in your area. Save a few and see if they sell or sit.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I agree, the OP is low. Prices on these things have been bonkers lately... I'd say ask $5500 and and see what offers you get.

And this is coming from one of the biggest cheapskates on the forum. I paid $750 for my F150 back in July 2019... but it was barely driving and I ended up needing to put a lot of work into it to make it what it is today. And we hadn't had a pandemic with inflation and a truck shortage to jack the prices up yet... not to mention these trucks have become more desirable in the collector market outside of those reasons (they were on the way up in 2019... I got the deal of the decade? ).

I'd say this one is in the same category as mine (only needing a LOT less work)... might be a good driver. Heck, I have the same engine (EEC-IV 300 carbed) and I daily drive it about 50% of the time (split with my other truck, a 1995 Ford Ranger). That said, this truck's more of restoration candidate than mine... the body seems to be a lot less bashed up (and actually looks really stinking clean). Just enough age to truly count as "good" patina. Maybe a good mechanical restoration + patina preservation candidate?

These days, for vehicles in this truck's condition, FB marketplace is king. Craigslist is on the downswing,
eBay is a wash, and autotrader? People still use it???

If it was a show truck, I'd say Bring A Trailer... people blow $$$ like it's candy over there . Although who knows here...

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

RestorationWorthy
Thanks to all of you for your responses and kind words.  We bought her in 2012 to tow my dad's boat to have it repaired - its a 1978 glastron so obviously there is a pattern here with me hanging on to things - things built way back when hold up a lot better and even after the small transom repair the boat is still working ;).  When we bought the truck that owner hadn't been using her much and other than home depot runs and the boat tow we just haven't used her much either so she's been aging gracefully I guess.

Gary I will go fill out the initial profile info because I will likely hang around after the truck sells - I saw a thread about people trading old license plates and I've got a few duplicate spares from my days collecting and its neat to see people's progress who are taking the time to do restorations.

I appreciate the feedback on the price from everyone.  I was worried I would price out of the range of someone who would want a restoration project but I didn't consider someone would just want to do some minor maintenance and run her daily which they certainly could do.  I did look at Bring a Trailer but they only want vehicles already restored --- and the prices they go for on that site blow my mind.

It is hard to find equivalent pricing because it ranges all over from either fully restored/rebuilt or it has been pulled out of a field and has no motor

I have also heard multiple people say Facebook Marketplace is the best for selling but being brutally honest I've made it this far not falling down the Facebook Rabbit hole and I'd have to create a profile and I immediately cringe at the idea.  I thought Autotrader may be a better option because it would allow a filter between me and the initial inquirers unlike Craigslist.

One other question in ya'lls experience do you think asking Cash only is fair.  I've read so many do's and don'ts and ways people scam etc... is Cash Only still reasonable?  I know there are a gazillion paypal, venmo, etc... but that just seems to have its own set of risks.  Let me know your thoughts please.

Thanks again everyone!
Thanks ya'll!

Leslie
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sure!  Go ahead and post in New Members Start Here and hang around.  We have people, moderators even, who don't have a Bullnose.

And the guy collecting the license tags is David/1986F150Six.  He's a great guy and if you can help him that would be wonderful.

As for payment, I think it is fair to ask for cash.  But let's see what the others say as I'm 75 and "the old ways" are frequently my way.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
With the exception of eBay, Cash is still king when it comes to used vehicles.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Regarding "cash" as payment:

I recently sold a vehicle and when the gentleman / buyer showed up, he came with a check on a local bank. We went to where I do my banking, inside where there are many cameras, and I asked if the teller could check with his bank and verify the funds. Not only could they, but the transfer of funds was actually done before we signed the appropriate paperwork.

Another time when I sold a vehicle, the buyer brought cash. We went to my place of banking and again, there were many cameras. Before signing the title, I asked the teller to count the money and verify that it was not "funny money". She did so and deposited the amount to my account and placed the cash in her drawer.

Just some ideas.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Great advice. Can't be too cautious.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

barmstrong
Hello, is this truck for sale? Where are you located?
Reply | Threaded
|

RestorationWorthy
Hi.  Yes the truck is for sale and we are located in Charlotte, North Carolina.  I have it posted on AutoTrader Classics if you want to see the details.  Similar to what I put on here but a little more information.  If you are interested, go through that link so it tracks number of inquiries or whatever with my add.  I've tried to copy the link to my AutoTrader listing below so hope it sends you to the right area.  Thanks for your interest.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1985/ford/f150/101779167

Thanks ya'll!

Leslie